Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Nye WOII London Regiment

Crofters11

Help please to understand  what the information in the attached files means in regards to my grandfather in WW1. 

I have a other Transcript type documents that state his rank as follows:

Sergeant with Service Number 45, Year 1914-20

CSM with Service Number 45, Disembarkation Date 16 Mar 1915, Medals awarded 1914-15 Star

CSM with Service Number 45 and Second Rank CSM, Second Service Number 6779680, Year 1914-20

Warrant Officer Class 2, Service Number 6637 and Second Rank Warrant Officer Class 2, Second Service Number 723240, Year 1914-20, Medals awarded Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge.

From my little knowledge [which is allegedly a dangerous thing!] the above CSM and Warrant Officer Class 2 are the same rank but there are different Service Numbers.

The Regiment all looks to be London Regiment.

WJB 2.jpg

WJB 1.jpg

The London Regiment was a wholly territorial force.

The 2 and 4 digit numbers were issued in 1914 or pre-1914.
The 6 digit number was issued when the whole of the Territorial Force was renumbered in 1917.
The 7 digit number was issued to soldiers servng after 1920, and if he served at that time, there might be a surviving service record for him. (EDIT: No there isn't...)

The medal rolls actually give his dates of service in each battalion:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1088867:5119?_phcmd=u('https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/5119/?name=William_Nye&count=50&f-Self-Military-RegimentNumber=45&successSource=Search&queryId=0ad8c0cc-8d88-46a1-9558-c553ab4c3cb3','successSource')

Where is the reference to the Silver War Badge?

Firstly many many thanks for info supplied, helps me immensely to put things in order.

Attached references to Silver War Badge.

Silver Star 1.jpg

Silver Star 2.jpg

Ah, OK, Silver War Badge is from "Campaign Medal Index Cards and Silver War Badge Cards.

He didn't have a badge.

• Admin

A very interesting set of numbers which takes a little extra explanation - I think I have worked it out but I'll be happy for someone else to verify (or otherwise).

He enlisted into the 24/Bn London Regiment and allotted the number 45. That's a very low number meaning he enlisted upon the creation of the TF in 1908. He might well have been a volunteer in the earlier Volunteer Force (VF) before the TF.

He earned his 1914/1915 Star with the 24/Bn London TF by deploying to France on 16/03/1915 - returning home on 22/03/1916.

His TF service was subject to Termination of Engagement on 31/03/1916.

He evidently re-enlisted into the 24/Bn London Regiment and was allotted a new TF number of 6637. It seems this number would have been allotted in July 1916 so it seems there was a break between his initial service and his resumed service. He might well have been called-up under the MSA. He would have joined the 3/24 Battalion London Regiment before being posted to an overseas Battalion.

In early 1917 the TF were re-numbered with six-digit numbers - he was allotted the number 723240 from the block of numbers allotted to the 24/Bn London Regiment TF

He was at some time "transferred" to the 22/Bn London Regiment and served in Greece (Salonika) from 22/05/1917 to 16/06/1917. Because the 22/Bn and 24/Bn of the London Regiment were in the same Corps of Infantry, he was not re-numbered in going from the 24/Bn to the 22/Bn.

He later served in Egypt with the 22/Bn London Regiment between 20/06/1917 and 18/06/1919.

I assume he was later posted back to the 24/Bn London Regiment as he is on the 24/Bn Medal Roll. Nevertheless, he evidently decided to re-enlist post war into the 24/Bn London Regiment and was allotted the 7-digit number 6779680.

Regards

Russ

EDIT 1: At the moment I can't reconcile his deployments to Greece and Egypt with his assumed Battalions.

EDIT 2: I can now see it must have been the 2/22nd London Regiment

Wow, thank you so much, that's amazing.  I actually kind of feel that I know my grandad, even though he died when I was only 4. 

He was in the VF in 1902, I have his attestation date of 4 Feb 1902, Vol Service Coy The Queens serving in South Africa for 201 days.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Crofters11 said:

He was in the VF in 1902, I have his attestation date of 4 Feb 1902, Vol Service Coy The Queens serving in South Africa for 201 days.

Even more impressive - an amazing career.

Do you know his year of birth?

And do you know the name/number of his VF Battalion?

The 24/Bn and 22/Bn London Regiment were affiliated to the Queens Regiment.

Russ

I can place him on an official casualty lists dated 5/10/15 but with a report received date range of Apr-May 1915. this is 24th Battalion as CSM with #45.

There's a TFE medal (& clasp) card showing #45 24th London R. AO dated 1/10/1911.  The card is annotated No. 6779680 WOCL II AO Feby 1923.

TEW

• Admin

With his Boer War medals, he must have an impressive display - does Crofters11 have his Medals or a picture of them?

Would be great to see an image of them on this thread.

Russ

In answer to above, his date of birth was 3 January 1882. Have attached a page from his records that I managed to find relating to 1902, I think it says 4th V B The Queens...

And sadly I do not have his medals, only an online record of the Victory Medal and British War Medal WW1 awarded to him as Warrant Officer Class 2 Service Number 6637..

The Queens.jpg

• Admin

Boer War Roll - transcript (courtesy FMP)

Yes, the Queen's - he had the number 7588.

Entitled to Queen's South Africa Medal with Claps: Orange Free State & Cape Colony 

Russ

Nye 1.jpg

Thanks again for info above.

Re the casualty listing, report and medal card is there any chance to be pointed in the right direction to find these online too please.

• Admin

Here the link to his TFEM, which you can download for free from TNA

Medal card of Nye, W J B Corps: London Regiment Regiment No: 45 Rank: ... | The National Archives

You have his WW1 MICs because you posted them at the beginning.

The corresponding Medal Rolls are available on Ancestry here:

1914/1915 Star:

ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/5977988:5119?_phcmd=u('https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/5119/?name=_nye&count=50&f-Self-Military-RegimentNumber=45&successSource=Search&queryId=f863a0c5-c0d4-4a1f-a316-cc47ad20d96c','successSource')

VM/BWM

UK, World War I Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920 - Ancestry.co.uk

His WO Casualty Record is on The Genealogist as a transcription here:

Military » Casualty Lists (thegenealogist.co.uk)

I assume the original will be in The Times but I don't subscribe to The Times Archive.

The image I posted on his Boer War Service comes from FindMyPast. At the foot of that image is a TNA Reference (WO/100) to the Boer War Medal Rolls, which you can download for free from TNA.

Perhaps you can post a link in return to the site where you found his VF Service Record

Russ

• kenf48 changed the title to William Nye WOII London Regiment

Again many many thanks for the links and information.  Will be happy to post the link as soon as I can find it again.  Off to look now....

https://www.fold3.com/image/589444609/nye-william-john-beer-page-1-uk-royal-hospital-chelsea-pensioner-service-records-1760-1925?xid=6795

https://www.fold3.com/file/589444609

Hopefully the above will take you to the record.

Edited by Crofters11
Added link requested

• Admin

Thanks - I also found it on FindMyPast:

British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Image | findmypast.co.uk

And just for completeness this is his Service Record (Attestation) for 1 year service in SA with the Volunteer Service Company of the Queen's and he was allotted the number 7588 in that unit.

He notes that he is a member of the 4th Volunteer Battalion of the Queen's (VF), the Service Record for which I assume has been lost - and his number in that unit has also been lost to history.

Below - a little bit of history for context/continuity (courtesy: 24th (County of London) Battalion (The Queen’s) | Military Wiki | Fandom) how the 4th VB Queen's fits to the 24th London TF.

Russ

4th VB Queens to 24th Londons.jpg

Once again many thanks for all the additional info.  It seems my grandfather actually lived at 41 New Street as that was where my mother was born in 1916, and sometime in 1938 he moved to 41 Braganza Street.