Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Samuel John Rees, Royal Garrison Artillery.

BUCKLEY

I'm very new to this group.  I'm having a problem reading what it says in the second to last entry of Casualty Form Active Service.   I can make out No.2 Depot Royal Garrison Artillery posted to RGA............   what on earth is the next two words.  The rest of the document I can figure out.  It is for my Great Uncle Samuel John Rees.  I would much appreciate your help on this.  Thanking you.  Elaine

PS Is there any way I can get a photo of Samuel John Rees.  I have his army record number.  Many thanks. E

Casualty Form Active Service.rtf

• Admin
1 hour ago, BUCKLEY said:

what on earth is the next two words.  The rest of the document I can figure out.  It is for my Great Uncle Samuel John Rees.  I would much appreciate your help on this.  Thanking you.  Elaine

PS Is there any way I can get a photo of Samuel John Rees.  I have his army record number.

Welcome to the GWF

Assume you mean this bit

Screenshot 2024-04-17 at 08.50.55.png

(Image from FMP)

I read it  as Spike Island, County Cork the RGA were engaged on Coastal defence.  In 1917 Ireland was part of the UK and a 'Home Posting'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Island,_County_Cork

The Army did not photograph soldiers the only way is to appeal on here as you have done for private photos.

HELLO PEOPLE

CAN ANYONE HERE ADVISE ME OF THE MEANING "MAN" IN THIS DOCUMENT   IT IS FOR MY BRITISH RELATIVE WHO SERVED IN WW1.  I T'RIED GOOGLING IT (AS YOU DO) WITH NO RESULT. 

I'M SLOWLY GOING THROUGH HIS MILITARY RECORDS TO TRANSCRIBE SO PLEASE BE PATIENT WITH ME AS I MAY ASK FOR HELP ON OTHER FORMS.  THANKING YOU.  ELAINE 

I NOTE IT SAYS AT THE BOTTOM "BAKER STREET" BUT I DON'T THINK ITS SHERLOCK HOLMES :-)

samuel john rees inside sheet for original attestation.jpg

Edited by BUCKLEY
a joking comment

I suspect that the line 'Man's Address to Baker Street' is perhaps his address (so that they can send letters relating to him for pension, medals, etc)

I'll let more diligent forum members take a shot at this one.

Zidane.

HELLO PEOPLE

CAN YOU ADVISE ME WITH THIS ONE TOO.   ON QUESTION 8  I CAN MAKE OUT R(ROYAL) E(ENGINEER).   ITS THE NEXT THREE LETTERS I CAN'T SAY WHAT THEY STAND FOR.  I CAN READ "OR LABOUR CORPS".  APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.  REGARDS  ELAINE

samuel john rees record of service paper.jpg

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I APPRECIATE IT.  HE WAS BORN IN WALES.  THEREFORE, HIS HOME ADDRESS WOULD BE THERE.  REGARDS ELAINE

Royal Engineers Inland Water Transport.

Hi

The first and second pages of his service record states his address (as do others), I am thinking the above reference is stating his address was forwarded to Baker St, whoever and whatever they are?

Note he was discharged in Dublin, as above, maybe involved in his discharge and processing it?

regards

Robert

I think it is a continuation of "  ,, [=Ditto = Discharge Centre , Dublin]    Forwards W3455 to   Man"

i'e. Dublin office sent the man a form W3455.

[Army Form W 3455 Notification of Transfer to Class W of Army Reserve]

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

It would appear that the Ministry of Pensions had one of their offices at Baker Street in 1918. It gets a mention on Hansard. 

In previous years, any Army-related pension would have been administered from Chelsea by the War Office. I think this is prompting the War Office clerk to ensure that the necessary information is passed to another branch of the Civil Service, in this instance the Ministry of Pensions.

On 12 July 1918, the board approved that he be transferred to Class P. Somewhat paradoxically, the records state his inability to earn a livelihood is less than 20%, yet the comment on the prior sheet is 'Unable to work continuously.'

From elsewhere on the forum:

Classes P and P(T) were introduced by the same AO. [Army Order 203 dated 16 June 1916.] These classes consisted of men

- ‘whose services are deemed to be temporarily of more value to the country in civil life rather than in the Army’

- and who were not lower than C iii medically

- and as a result of having served in the Army or TF would, if discharged, be eligible for a pension on the grounds of disability or length of service.

I believe coal miners (like him) were viewed as having a trade that was important for the war economy, and the return to a peacetime economy footing. I daresay others can comment further, with greater knowledge than I have.

Hello Again

Can anyone tell me what the entry is for 

To The Commanding Officer RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) 32 Fire Corps??? Code No, U.R.R.D 9845 (7?)

Can anyone advise sho the Fire Corps were and what does U.R.R.D stand for.  I think the last number is a (7)

I can read the rest.  Thanking you.  Elaine

ministry of pensions royal chelsea hospital.jpg

1 hour ago, BUCKLEY said:

RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) 32 Fire Corps???

It's RGA (Royal Garrison Artillery) 32 Fire Command

See: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-royal-artillery-in-the-first-world-war/royal-artillery-depots-training-and-home-defence-units

M

• Admin

Elaine, rather than start a new thread for each question, please keep them on this one thread please. Multiple post about the same person cause confusion and repetition of answers. Thank you. 

• Michelle Young changed the title to Samuel John Rees, Royal Garrison Artillery.
On 20/04/2024 at 01:46, BUCKLEY said:

ministry of pensions royal chelsea hospital.jpg

I would like to highlight that the figure of £12 10s as a weekly pension is not likely - nor is £10 10s.  Furthermore £1 pw seems a very unusual amount [not listed in the prevailing 1918 Royal Warrant]

After all - Under the prevailing RW in 1918 the 100% disability rate was only 27/6 pw [£1 7s 6d]

... The figures must therefore relate somewhat dfifferently.

Fortunately, confirming for me and clarifying for us all, there is a pension index card at WFA

image.png.55f8f4a20ec4b6daaa93ebad9e12342c.png

Image thanks to WFA/Fold3

The figures relate to a Gratuity(ies) paid

Gratuities and allowances could be paid when the level of disability was low and at the discretion of the Minister of Pensions - under Article 7 of the 1918 RW - Providing unfitness being "not due to the serious negligence or misconduct of the discharged man" - the MoP decided - generally it would "depend on the extent to which the man is incapacitated, on length and character of his service, and on the other circumstances of the case"

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add art 7 note