Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Royal Rifle Corps Pictures.

Sgt_Hazell_Great_Grandson

Another view of the 16th from another angle of the same occassion.

Thanks for the currant Church Lads Brigade for this picture.

Roland.

post-6634-1113681657.jpg

Just harking back to some earlier posts in this thread, did you notice that the band in Chris's (banjo) picture appears to be wearing a darker uniform - blue serge maybe. Great pictures BTW do you have any more Chris, Roland? Any idea of dates?

Hi Roland ,

Nice photo , the memorial still stands in exactly the same place , the uniforms are standard WW1 , just look different because the picture is a double page pi and one side scanned lighter than the other .

Chris

Hi Chris,

do you know what the memorial is for ? I suppose you don`t have a recent pic?

Thanks !

Roland.

As there appears to be some newish pals with an interest in the 16th KRRC I'm going to attach a document about the battalion which I originally posted last Nov. I can't claim authorship and I don't know who wrote it but it gives an overview of their war. Incidentally one of the four originals mentioned in the document was my dad.

Bob

Pre-War Church Lads Brigade medal.

Any ideas how a "Lad " could win the medal ?

Roland.

post-6634-1113918927.jpg

Great looking medal Roland - sorry can't help with info. Raises the question, was this for officers or 'Lads'? I ahve a photo of a group of officers which I will post on Friday (not at home at the moment)

Bob

• 2 months later...
Pre-War Church Lads Brigade medal.

Any ideas how a "Lad " could win the medal ?

Roland.

BTTT

we have an answer from Patrick H in another thread :-

However !

Interesting thread, particlarly the great pics of the Battalion in Rayleigh. The issue of medals was quite common and the BB still has them awarded for points in inspection of uniforms, attendance etc. I suspect that that is what this medal is for, but will stand corrected !

I hadn't realised how so many training camps were set up in Essex! Suppose it has to do with the closeness to London.

Patrick

Hello All,

For those who are interested this is a brief history of the Kings Royal Rifle Corps;-

Raised 1755 Pennsylvania, Virginia and Maryland as 62nd(Royal American)Regt of Foot.

Renumbered 1757 as 60th.

Redesignated 19/6/1824 as 60th(Duke of Yorks Own Rifle Corps & Light Infantry)Regt of Foot.

Redesignated 15/7/1824 as 60th(Duke of Yorks Own Rifle Corps)Regt of Foot.

Redesignated 19/11/1830 as 60th(Kings Royal Rifle Corps)Regt of Foot.

Redesignated 1/7/1881 as the KINGS ROYAL RIFLE CORPS.

Redesignated 1/1/1921 as the Kings Royal Rifles amended 10/2/1921 to the Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Redesignated 7/11/1958 as 2nd Green Jackets, The Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Reorganised 1/1/1968 in accordance with the formation of the large regiment as 2nd Bn, The Royal Green Jackets(Kings Royal Rifle Corps) subtitle omitted 1/7/1968.

Apologies to any old KRR men out there if I missed something out.

Graham.

Guest Simon Bull
Some interesting pics on site.

One line of text stood out for me on their history.

" The Battalion ( 16th K.R.R.C. ) trained at Denham Bucks is brutally decimated in 1916 on the Somme battlefields "

How many of the boys in the pictures who sailed to France soon after the pics were taken never returned.

Roland,

I have just noticed this thread.

I would be really interested to know what the title of the history f this battalion is called.

Do you own a copy of the history? If you do I wonder if I might be so cheeky as to ask what the Battalion were up to in early October 1917. I am interested in a man called Harold Walter Ellson who was in the Battalion and died on 12 October 1917. He is buried at Longuenesse Souvenir Cemetery in St Omer, so he fairly clearly died of wounds and therefore, would, I assume have been wounded between very approximately 1st October 1917 and 11th October 1917.

Sorry to trouble you.

Hi Simon

If you would like to mail me with your e-mail address I will send you the relevent sections of the 16th Btn KRRC War Diary.

Cheers

Bob

Roland,

I have just noticed this thread.

I would be really interested to know what the title of the history f this battalion is called.

Do you own a copy of the history?  If you do I wonder if I might be so cheeky as to ask what the Battalion were up to in early October 1917.  I am interested in a man called Harold Walter Ellson who was in the Battalion and died on 12 October 1917.  He is buried at Longuenesse Souvenir Cemetery in St Omer, so he fairly clearly died of wounds and therefore, would, I assume have been wounded between very approximately 1st October 1917 and 11th October 1917.

Sorry to trouble you.

Simon i see Bob is looking after your request.He has provided me with much of my information.

Kind regards to you and to Bob.

Roland.

• 13 years later...
On 14/04/2005 at 10:32, Sgt_Hazell_Great_Grandson said:

Three pics of G.Grandfather Sgt. William Hazell.

We belive them to be of the 16th K.R.R.C. ( Church Lads Brigade) C Coy taken prior to leaving for France .

He is the chap leading the band through the streets (rank Sgt.bugler ), conducting the band and in the centre of the group of buglers , the older man with the moustache.

Two of the uniforms look the same but the pic marching in streets look different.

Any thoughts,

thanks, Roland.

post-6634-1113470871.jpg

post-6634-1113470898.jpg

post-6634-1113470924.jpg

Hi do you know the names of the men in the bottom picture?

2 hours ago, Karen H said:

Hi do you know the names of the men in the bottom picture?

The serjeant with the moustache sitting is apparently Serjeant Bugler William HAZELL.  He did not serve Overseas with 16/KRRC, but went out with the Labour Corps.