Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'London Pride': The London Territorial Force in Peace and War 1908-1920 - WFA conference 15 June 2024

Charles Fair

Hello all

I am one of three co-editors along with @Tom Thorpe and Richard Hendry of a book of chapters on the London TF which will be published by Helion in 2025.  This will be a follow up to a conference on the London TF which is taking place on 15 June 2024 at the drill hall in Handel St, London.

We have a fantastic roster of contributors so far including some GWF members.  The latest summary of chapters, and the description of the scope of the project, can be seen downloaded on our website. https://kensingtons.org.uk/london-pride-the-london-regiment-in-peace-and-war-1908-1920/

However, we do have a few small gaps in coverage and wondered if anyone in the GWF might like to volunteer to take one on?  For example:

• Yeomanry units - (they appear in a couple of chapters, but are not the main focus of any chapter in their own right)
  • Royal Engineer Field Companies
  • London Electrical Engineers and their role in manning the Thames Defences
  • Old Comrades Associations
  • trench raids
  • the 39 sergeants of the London Regiment attached to the Kings African Rifles. (Who were they and what did they do in the East African campaign?)
  • war memorials to London TF units in London. It would be great to have a comprehensive list of these.
  • Discipline in the 47th London Division.  I have the complete Field General Courts Martial records of 47 Div from WO 154.  Its 100 pages with 5 or 6 on each page listing the man, his unit, offence and punishment. This would be a fascinating piece of analysis. Which units had the most offences? Which were the most common offences? How the pattern of punishments vary in accordance with the division's activities on the Western Front? etc. etc.

Perhaps there might be someone who would like to do their MA or BA dissertation on one of these topics?  

We are looking for a chapter of up to 10,000 words inc. footnotes. (For style see the Spencer Jones edited series of books.)  Drafts are not due until after the conference, so you have about a year.

If you are interested and would like to know more, please DM me.

Charles

Edited by Charles Fair
amending title for conference

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up.  An excellent chapter proposal from @Colin W Taylor re the 58 Division, thank you  I think I also have a taker for a chapter on the London TF units of the ASC.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this up.  Interest from RE Historical Society in a chapter.  I also have a taker for a chapter on an OCA and their battlefield tours in the 1930s.

I now know of at least 45 sergeants from the London Regt who were attached to the Kings African Rifles.

Another angle is the Divisional Pioneer battalions which were not London battalions, though all were TF (1/4th RWF in 47 Div, 1/5th Cheshire in 56 Div, 4th Suffolk in 58 Div and 1/12 Loyal N Lancs in 60 Div)

Details of the conference now on the WFA website: https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/events/london-pride-conference-the-london-territorial-force-in-peace-and-war-1908-1921/

• 2 months later...

Final, final call for this.  You would need to get an abstract over to me in the next month or so. 

Meanwhile, here is a first view of the cover, based on the 1912 recruiting poster for the 25th Londons (Cyclists).

image.jpeg.31a467223468c5264a86b2259314cebb.jpeg

• Charles Fair changed the title to 'London Pride': The London Territorial Force in Peace and War 1908-1920 - WFA conference 15 June 2024

Bumping this up as the conference is only a few weeks away.  We have 100 people registered with a handful more spaces before we open a reserve list.

Details of the conference with an updated programme are on the WFA website: https://www.westernfrontassociation.com/events/london-pride-conference-the-london-territorial-force-in-peace-and-war-1908-1921/

We are likely to be able to use the main drill hall on the day itself (with a capacity of 150 people) and will know more on Friday 3 May when I make a site visit, so don't panic if you end up on the reserve list.