Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oh What A Lovely War - Theatre Royal Winchester October 2023, touring till May 2024

seaJane

The chance to see this on stage is interesting, so husband and I have booked tickets for the performance on Wednesday 18th.

https://www.theatreroyalwinchester.co.uk/whats-on/oh-what-lovely-war

"Mon 16 Oct 2023 - Wed 18 Oct 2023

Blackeyed Theatre in association with South Hill Park Arts Centre presents the 60th Anniversary tour of Joan Littlewood's musical entertainment

Oh What A Lovely War

by Theatre Workshop, Charles Chilton, Gerry Raffles and members of the original cast."

Edited by seaJane
Typo

• 2 weeks later...

Jane

I saw a stage version at Theatr Clwyd, Mold, about 15 years ago. I went there expecting a stage copy of the original OWALW film (circa1972) with a myriad of superstar actors. The film, of course, based on Joan Littlewood's stage production. The Theatr Clwyd production varied a fair degree from the film - but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

OWALW is often disparaged on this forum as an anti-war bit of propaganda - but I think that such productions are just as valid as ae strict history essays on the GW. My favourite piece is the Song of Craonne, sung in the estaminet. The tone changes in a split second from Charlie Chaplin to a sombre and dark moment in French history shared by the Brits.

I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you Geraint.

I think art that is well made, makes its own integrity, even if it takes an opposite viewpoint. In fact I'd rather see good art that I disagree with than bad art whose side I'm on, if that makes sense.

I'm looking forward to seeing it, anyway :).

sJ

It was a product of its time. First shown in 1969, it coincided with the anti-war feeling brought about the Vietnam war  and much revision about WW1. For me it was and still is a very interesting film. Let's not forget that some of the music for instance came from the soldiers view of the war.

TR

On 27/07/2023 at 15:50, seaJane said:

by Theatre Workshop, Charles Chilton, Gerry Raffles and members of the original cast."

Nice to see Charles Chilton get a mention since it was his work that provided the genesis of the stage play

Joan Littlewoods play is based on Chiltons radio programme, The Long Long Trail, which was produced by him in 1961 and which she and her partner Jerry Raffles adapted for the stage. Chilton in fact set out on a journey to 'find' his father who was killed at Arras and whom he never knew. The radio programme was the result of this quest and Littlewood saw in it the opportunity for a political statement. However, rather than an anti-war theme her interest was more class war. It was Attenboroughs glossy 1969 film version which tapped into the prevailing anti war sentiments that had emerged later in the 60s.

Charles Chiltons original radio production was thought to have been lost but in fact chilton himself had a copy and placed it into the British Library. A recording can be access via Youtube at this link 

And you really can hear how the play was adapted from Chiltons efforts.

There is also a rather nice article from the BBC website here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15691707

This production by the Black Eyed company is coming to the delightful Victorian Theatre just up the road in Harrogate so hopefully I will be able to spend an evening in the company of those marvellous songs

14 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

It was a product of its time. First shown in 1969, it coincided with the anti-war feeling brought about the Vietnam war  and much revision about WW1. For me it was and still is a very interesting film. Let's not forget that some of the music for instance came from the soldiers view of the war.

TR

Terry, as you say a great piece of cinematography, irrespective of it's revisionist positioning. I would however suggest steering clear from the Directors commentary which my version has attached. Old Dickie Attenborough really does show his lack of actual understanding of what occurred during the Great War and does rather just parrot the Lions led by Donkeys narrative.   

Edited by Will O'Brien

7 hours ago, ilkley remembers said:

Nice to see Charles Chilton get a mention since it was his work that provided the genesis of the stage play

Thanks Ilkley, all this was new information to me :)

sJ

• 1 month later...

I saw this production yesterday evening (19 September 2023) at the Churchill Theatre in Bromley. Having only ever seen the film version prior to this I was very impressed with the performance. Sad that there were a lot of empty seats in the theatre, but there did seem to be quite a few school kids present. An enjoyable and moving evening.

Regards,

Kev Loughnane

• 2 weeks later...

I too was very impressed - an interesting production (spotted a visual reference to Sargent's 'Gassed' among other things) very well done. The Theatre Royal Winchester was pretty full and the audience and cast ready to engage with one another.

• 4 months later...

Saw this production last weekend in the appropriate surroundings of the Edwardian theatre in Harrogate. Thought the lively and energetic cast did a splendid job in bringing out the humour and pathos that was always intended by Joan Littlewood as a balance to the clear bitterness she had for those who promoted the pursuit of the war.

Ironically on the day we went to see the performance there was a rather poignant service at Harrogate War Memorial to commemorate the fallen in the Ukrainian War.

I would certainly recommend this production and if you are interested there are still plenty of dates still available

https://blackeyedtheatre.co.uk/shows-2/shows/oh-what-a-lovely-war/

Edited by ilkley remembers

• 1 month later...

Another mention for this production which I saw last evening at Theatr Clwyd.  Impressive performances from a small troupe of actors.  Humorous and poignant, as OWALW should be of course.  

Think it's only touring till May but might almost be worth amending the title of the thread which might suggest the production was only at Winchester.  

• seaJane changed the title to Oh What A Lovely War - Theatre Royal Winchester October 2023, touring till May 2024

Your wish is my command :lol: