Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery page on Service Record - Help Please

PB BUSH

Please find attached the last page of my relative's Service Record.  He was 84215 Dvr Adam McFarlane RHA/RFA and enlisted in 1914.  Regarding the image I have been unable to find any evidence he was a Prisoner on Grande Guerre site although I'm not 100% confident I've checked it correctly.  Considering the strange title of the the printed page "Recruiter's Diary" that the stamp "Prisoner of War" is applied to under the "Recruiting Poster" column it maybe reads like some sort of recruiting feedback form?  Any ideas please. Regards and thanks PB

624847479_AdamPrisonerofwar.png.064d8dffffac68b80324d65f9ee127dc.png

Under the POW stamp it has Gnr W Da???.

There is a MIC to Gnr. William Daltry 222681, same number as on your sheet.

Perhaps Daltry was the POW although why that'd be on McFarlane's sheet?

TEW

Daltry has a POW record on ICRC.

TEW

I have learnt to write down numerous abbreviations down over the years as these forums tend to speak in abbreviation, but have never came across ICRC can you enlighten please

PB

14 minutes ago, PB BUSH said:

I have learnt to write down numerous abbreviations down over the years as these forums tend to speak in abbreviation, but have never came across ICRC can you enlighten please

PB

International Committee of the Red Cross in english, abbreviated as CICR in French in the same manner than NATO becomes OTAN

2 hours ago, PB BUSH said:

the strange title of the the printed page "Recruiter's Diary"

Looks like McFARLANE must have been on recruiting duties at some time.  This appears to be a monthy return sheet.

There was an Army Form B 75 Weekly Recruiter's Diary - so wondering if there is a visible Army Form number, perhaps at the bottom? [so we can add a monthly one to the list of known forms]

M

47 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

There was an Army Form B 75 Weekly Recruiter's Diary - so wondering if there is a visible Army Form number, perhaps at the bottom? [so we can add a monthly one to the list of known forms]

McFarlane's Service Record helpfully shows front and back of this document in the 70 surviving pages.  Here are front and back .......... and detail at bottom for clarity.  Let me know this do not suit and I'll try again.

(n.b. I've incorrectly labelled "front" and "back" on the image title)

Front.png

Front (detail).png

Back.png

Back (detail).png

Edited by TullochArd
(n.b. I've incorrectly labelled "front" and "back" on the images)

3 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

McFarlane's Service Record helpfully shows front and back of this document in the 70 surviving pages.  Here are front and back .......... and detail at bottom for clarity.  Let me know this do not suit and I'll try again.

Thanks for this - can't quite read that form number at the bottom - is it B 75 or B 75 31?

As to rather be expected, as 1915 was the prime period for Recruiters, the form was printed 6/15

M

6 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

Thanks for this - can't quite read that form number at the bottom - is it B 75 or B 75 31?

Looks like "Forms / B.75 / 31"

Front (detail).png

10 minutes ago, TullochArd said:

Looks like "Forms / B.75 / 31"

Front (detail).png

:thumbsup:

I wonder if the 31 means 31 days/monthly?

M

Edited by Matlock1418
31 days?

Above the POW stamp it says Received then an R or P and possibly something else?

Sounds a bit way out there but might Daltry have sent a PC to his recruiting officer?

Quite common for the first information regarding a POW to be a postcard sent usually to NOK who then inform the relevant records office.

TEW

1 hour ago, TEW said:

Quite common for the first information regarding a POW to be a postcard sent usually to NOK who then inform the relevant records office.

TEW

I think you've got it TEW.

There is an unconnected card (below) in Adam McFarlane's Service Record that I read to be from a Mrs Daltry regarding her son Gnr William Daltry.  Could it be that her card was misfiled in Adam McFarlane's record and his last page of Adam McFarlane's simply incorrectly stamped "Prisoner of War" along with Mrs Daltry's son's service number?   

The 70 pages of Adam McFarlane's Service Record also include a chunk of 84216 Gnr William Ryce's Service Record (his Military History Sheet and two of the fullest Conduct Sheets I've ever seen)

Letter.png

Edited by TullochArd

I'm not so sure about a mis-filing error but it does look like information regarding Daltry becoming a POW made its way into McFarlane's record.

I'd now suggest that the first PC was sent by Daltry to his mother who informed RH & RFA records in Woolwich who for some reason added Daltry info to McFarlane's record also in Woolwich.

Never seen a Recruiters' Diary before so I'm not sure what it normally contains.

Perhaps the mother informed McFarlane as well who added it to his diary for that month.

TEW