Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 disappeared airmen at Merville Communal Cemetery Extension

LDT006

The form below shows 2 unknown airmen in graves 25 and 26, they were exhumed for identification and the result of this is that the graves are now vacant. I believe that they were moved to a French or US cemetery, the latter being more probably because of the similarity of uniforms and badges.

How should the note at the bottom be read: ....-for identification, where "..." doesn't look like Exh'd.

I have asked CWGC, they don't know.

Luc.

doc2303191.JPG.811d5b0d532338bd3cbbfada31b92d12.JPG..

Thanks jay,

how should this be interpreted: The graves were assigned for them but they were never really buried, left somewhere pending identification and then moved to a US or French cemetery? If the identification results showed that they were British, then the graves would have been used?

Nothing special only the date of death and I believe to know who they are.

doc2027321.JPG.d3a3a02d3def6d51f63f8159ffb25b7a.JPG

1 hour ago, jay dubaya said:

Left - for identification 

Not that it helps but it looks more like “C of I (Court of Inquiry) - for identification” to me…

Steve

Yep, I’d agree with that Steve.
They were initially buried by the Germans who recognised them as British pilots but yet the British? exhumed and reburied them as UBS and then it appears exhumed them once again... but to where? Why would they not re-bury them in the same graves? Odd one...

Bennett and Salter?

19 hours ago, SteveE said:

Not that it helps but it looks more like “C of I (Court of Inquiry) - for identification” to me…

Thanks and then the next question: Why would the Court of Inquiry order an exhumation for identification?

19 hours ago, jay dubaya said:

They were initially buried by the Germans who recognised them as British pilots but yet the British? exhumed and reburied them as UBS and then it appears exhumed them once again... but to where? Why would they not re-bury them in the same graves? Odd one...

Identification by the Germans was sometimes very wrong, please also note that the original text on the GRRF is Unknown British soldier, the Airmen were added later.

Something similar occured with 2Lt. Sangster, Albert Burnett. He was buried at Motor Car Cemetery, grave A64, by the Germans and identified as US. He was then removed, destination unknown and leaving a Vacant grave, first doc below. He then reappears at the US cemetery at Waregem as Unknown American Soldier and is moved from there to Sanctuary wood, second document below. Multiple mis-identifications in this case......

doc1822801.JPG.5c599c3a712a0050eff67f06ff92221c.JPG

doc2154420.jpg.5d3acd37a0a4cf37c4bad1732ba0ed0d.jpg

• 2 months later...