Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Mark Killoran KLR - SWB and died 1918

davidbohl

This chap, Pte Mark Killoran #25725 King's Liverpool died 6/11/1918 of pneumonia about 12 months after his discharge 30/11/1917.

As he does not appear on cwgc can I assume his death is not war related ?

Many Thanks

Dave

Cutting from the BNA

KilloranM_New25725.png.b870f8d3af768d2fe6923f7e995ca9fa.png

Hello David,
There are some ledgers for soldiers who died after discharge in the NAM Register of Soldiers' Effects accessible via Ancestry. That may have some further details.

I have also found the WFA cards were helpful to determine the cause of death for some soldiers who died after discharge that I was researching.

Thanks
Keith 

No details on WFA Record Card regarding cause of death.

The Soldiers' Effects Register has a stamp 'DIED AFTER DISCHARGE'

Just found more details on Ancestry - may be one to put forward to IFCP. Pension records state discharge War related. Depends on details on Death Certificate I think though. He was buried at Ford Cemetery, Liverpool 12 November 1918 (Catholic Burials Register details) with details on Ancestry. A reference on Find a Grave says Memorial removed from their site (?).

Have added a link to your post on Possible non-commemorations.

Mark Killoran.png

Edited by BarbaraG

I searched the forum and this came up:

Presumably the M Killoran on this memorial plaque is the same man? His service record says he was a sheet metal worker.

Thanks all for taking an interest in this, surely war damaged lungs and pneumonia are closely related?

It would be very fitting to have him commemorated formerly.

Dave

2 minutes ago, davidbohl said:

Thanks all for taking an interest in this, surely war damaged lungs and pneumonia are closely related?

It would be very fitting to have him commemorated formerly.

Dave

I have collected lots of info. and contacted IFCP if that is acceptable to you Dave.

Will let all know details from Death certificate.

The Harland & Wolff link has a message from a relative of Mark!!!

Barbara

Edited by BarbaraG

9 minutes ago, BarbaraG said:

if that is acceptable

Go for it Barbara.

A a side issue there was a Matthew Killoran knocking about Crosby/Seaforth at the time, he was an Irish schoolteacher, may be the Manchester's casualty on cwgc https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/689934/killoran,-matthew/

Dave

On 16/07/2020 at 14:45, Keith_history_buff said:

I have also found the WFA cards were helpful to determine the cause of death for some soldiers who died after discharge that I was researching.

I found a Dependant's PC at WFA/Fold3 but no details on it for circumstances of death for Pte Mark Killoran #25725 [in fact very little at all on it}

23 hours ago, BarbaraG said:

Pension records state death War related.

As above - I couldn't see at WFA/Fold3 = ???

Different details ??

Different document(s) ??

I can see a Mark Killoran when looking at Fold3 but ?? number ["19"] and also a Mary Jane Killoran - can't access the documents there to read. = ???

= Which source(s) for your info please?

:-) M

Apologies - his discharge was result of active service. Just me rushing to link 'penetrating wound of plura' to pneumonia. Have sent for DC to clarify.

Don't think Cause of death was clarified on Pension Record.

However I have also messaged a relative who may have the DC.

The search is on - with double check my 'finds' - see attached. Case No. D.P 149/K

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 17.37.36.png

Edited by BarbaraG

Barbara,

Thanks for clarifying update = from his service record/discharge

I have also noted your involvement on another thread and made a comment there too.

Then noted another thread that might involve the same man

You have many fingers in many pies / many ears to the ground! ;-)

From above:

20 hours ago, davidbohl said:

A a side issue there was a Matthew Killoran knocking about Crosby/Seaforth at the time, he was an Irish schoolteacher, may be the Manchester's casualty on cwgc https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/689934/killoran,-matthew/

Have to say this might be a bit of a mixed blessing / potential 'curved ball' - always a problem if men have the same names and approximate locations

Got to admit I do suspect that pneumonia will not be good enough for CWGC for Pte Mark Killoran #25725 without more evidence of link to a war-relationship [not withstanding his obvious GSW and consequential lung damage - which won't have helped at all I am sure]

Probably 'flu related but as after service will probably be a hard case to make if it was not connected back then - I do know it does periodically come off for others.

Always good if you can make an IFCP case but not necessarily always possible however likely/quite probable it might be - CWGC are very evidence-based [as I feel sure you will well know]

We look forward to hearing your findings generally / what you discover on his DC - please keep us all updated.

Good luck.

:-/ M

Barbara,

I did find my copy of Mark's death cert. It just states cause of death as pneumonia. I also found copies of I believe discharge papers. I will look through them later today. I also believe he may have had a military funeral. I am going to research that if I can.

Kind Regards

Nancy Killoran Whitmore

• 2 weeks later...

This is the Killoran headstone at Liverpool (Ford) Roman Catholic Cemetery (grave P/490), Mark is also buried in this plot but unfortunately he is not named:

P1001034.jpg.f878436e12fa73a60db2e1495137192f.jpg

Hi Paul,

I was quite thrilled to see this. John Killoran is my grandfather and Dominic, my uncle. I had never seen this before. I had visited Bootle many years ago but never made it to Ford.

I guess I am puzzled by the fact that Uncle Mark's name is not there as well as my grandmother Mary Jane. I do believe they all are buried in this plot. I am hoping Mark can be remembered in some way as he did die as a result of his wounds. Once again thanks so much.

Regards,

Nancy 

On 17/07/2020 at 17:48, Matlock1418 said:

Got to admit I do suspect that pneumonia will not be good enough for CWGC for Pte Mark Killoran #25725 without more evidence of link to a war-relationship [not withstanding his obvious GSW and consequential lung damage - which won't have helped at all I am sure]

Probably 'flu related but as after service will probably be a hard case to make if it was not connected back then - I do know it does periodically come off for others.

Always good if you can make an IFCP case but not necessarily always possible however likely/quite probable it might be - CWGC are very evidence-based [as I feel sure you will well know]

We look forward to hearing your findings generally / what you discover on his DC - please keep us all updated.

Good luck.

:-/ M

Having just returned from visit to Belfast apologies for delay in response Nancy. The details on Mark's death certificate do not reference his wounds so I don't think he will be accepted by CWGC as Matlock stated (will still enquire though).

What is very moving is that he has been found and remembered here with thanks to Dave. With some very special additional finds such as the Harland & Wolff Memorial and especially the family headstone. Regarding Inscriptions on the headstone references on Ancestry and there are pages from the Burial Registers. Mary Jane appears to have been buried on 03 January 1916 and I think this may be why no further Inscriptions have been added. 

Kind regards

Barbara

Edited by BarbaraG