Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6 North Staffs Battalion 21 March 1918

I am seeking any information on the 2/6 North Staffs on the 21 March, 1918 where my grandfather, Pvt James Chatterton,#12528 lost his life on the first day of the great offensive. I live in Perth, Australia and intend to visit his memorial at Arras next year. I am trying to establish as close as possible to the place he may have fallen. Are you able to assist.? if so, it would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards, John Craigie

Morning John.

I have this

He was killed on the first day of the German spring offensive when his battalion, in the line at Bullecourt, was surrounded by overwhelming numbers.

The War Diary merely records,

“13 March 1918 - South Camp, Mory.

5am. The battalion moved to assembly area at Le Sucre, Ylaux Yraucourt to be prepared for enemy attack but the attack did not materialise.

19 March 1918 - 7pm. The battalion relieved the 2/5th Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment in the Bullecourt sector. Relief complete at 9pm.

21 March 1918 - 5am. Enemy opened exceptional heavy barrage on the front. Support and reserve line with shells of every calibre. The enemy attacked in large numbers and broke through on the right flank of the battalion and reached the Hogs Back completely cutting off the battalion.

Casualties:- 1 officer and 3 other ranks killed, 1 officer and 8 other ranks wounded, 22 officers and 586 other ranks missing.

2nd Lt. A.E. Stearn and 2nd Lt. S. Burton-Smith collected a party of men from transport lines and reported to Major H.M.C. Curtis, D.S.O.,  2/6th Battalion, South Staffordshire Regiment who formed a composite battalion. This battalion held the line at Mory East.”

There is an after action report in the War Diary, at least 10 pages long, which is available free at the moment from the National Archives. You just need to register.

Map below is from that report.

Regards,

Graeme

43849_3021_5-00043.jpg

Edited by GraemeClarke

• Admin

Graeme, a minor correction, should be Valux Vraucourt , and I wonder if it should be  Sucrerie?

Michelle 

• Admin

I'm not a subscriber to the site( I know it's free at the moment)  but I wanted to make things easier for the OP when he's on the ground.

Michelle 

• spof changed the title to 2/6 North Staffs Battalion 21 March 1918