Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18766 Arthur Charles Buckley Ox & Bucks LI

Hi all,

My g-grandfather Arthur C Buckley served during WW1 with the Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry reg 18766 and later on, Essex Regiment 301970  and Labour Corps 695912.

Unfortunately I have very little information about him that has been passed down. All I know from my own research is that he received the trio medals as he served in France I believe, and died in 1925 at home aged 33. 

I would love to know what battalion he served in and why he was in 3 different regiments with 3 different regiment numbers. I can only assume he must of been injured, but how would I find out how and when?

Ancestry may have his service record though most didn't survive. This would tell you dates of transfer and possibly a reason why. One of the common reasons for transfer was as you intimate upon recovery from an injury he would be sent where required, this also holds true for recovery from illness. If you can determine dates of transfer then the war diaries will fill in the day to day occurances with each of his units. Daily Casualty Lists may contain the wounds that led to his transfers though dating an injury using the date of publication in The Times (or LG)  can be weeks/months after the action (illness rather than injury wouldn't appear in the press). Local newspapers may mention him in the event of wounding, death, decoration etc.

A transfer to the Labour Corps often meant that fitness was regained to the point of being able to provide a useful role to the war effort though not necessarily fit enough for front line duties (No Labour, No Battle gives a good indication of how valuable the Labour Corps were). 

The Long Long Trail linked at the top of this page gives sound advice about researching both individuals and units and is a must if you want to uncover as much as is available.

Simon

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your research. Lots of people here will help and Mancpal's suggestion to read Long Long Trail is good advice.

If you have Ancestry or Find my Past subscriptions there is detail there...

Name: A C Buckley
Military Year: 1914-1915
Unit: 7th Battalion
Company: WO 329
Regiment or Corps: Essex Regiment
Regiment Number: 18766
Medal Awarded: 1914-1915 Star

this is from Ancestry. As you see 7th Battalion for Essex Regiment...at least on this record! which is a little odd as that should be his OBLI number! I can't find anything under the 301970 number.

Persistence is the key!

George

Hi George,

Arthur Charles Buckley, medal award roll for the Labour Corps, page 301 2266 dated 15.6.1921, shows " 301970 Essex R" annotated in red ink for his entry under 695912. Shows his previous service as 18766 Ox and Bucks. L.I...

Different reference number on MIC for Brit/Vic, ie. LC 101/B281 28607......

15 star roll, 18766 Ox and Bucks shows discharged 10.1.19, 301970 ..

Pension Ledgers show 695912 Labour Corps widow Corrie Elizabeth Buckley....searching

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Hi again,

George is this correct?

Searching his relatives sometimes throws up other info.  married.... Florence Elizabeth Lapworth, 1913 Coventry, 3rd qtr 6d, 1312. 2 pension ledgers 2nd for Elizabeth Buckley same service number gives date of death as 10th July.

Regards Barry

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have a little bit of information for you - 

18766, Pte BUCKLEY,   Arthur C. Enlisted .31 May 1915. Discharged 10 Jan 1919. Enlisted as Pte, into O&BLI; with 5th Bn, B Coy; France & Flanders, 9 Oct 1915; invalided to England, 14 Feb 1916; transferred. as 301970 Pte, to 7th Bn, Essex Regt; transferred. as 695912 Pte, to Labour Corps; M: 1915 Star, War & Vict.    

He was with the 5th Battalion Oxf & Bucks and invalided to England on the 14 Feb 1916. You could have a look at the 5th Battalion War Diary on Ancestry (Free at the moment.) to see what the 5th were doing when he was injured.

Barry

My sincere apologies I had not seen your two replies and now a month later I will have to play 'catch-up' to see what I was on about.

George

• Admin

Hopefully @Trisha86 will see these replies. 

• spof changed the title to 18766 Arthur Charles Buckley Ox & Bucks LI