Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Douglas Thistle 42 Bn Canadian Infantry

I want to know more about this man, james Douglas Thistle, 42nd battalion Canadian infantry, died 3rd july 1916 of wounds in london

Any more information would be greatly appreciated 

20191003_150734.jpg

Screenshot_20191105-205913_Chrome.jpg

Have you tried to find his Canadian Service Record at Libraries and Archives, Canada.

I'll try and get you a link.

He was admitted to Hospital 5/6/16 at Boulogne with GSW Thigh and died a month later in UK from complications. So War Diary beginning of June would be relevant ?

Charlie

14 minutes ago, charlie962 said:
26 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I'll try and get you a link.

Its here but mis-indexed

Charlie is better than me at multi-tasking several threads today !!!

He has provided the attestation page link - there is a sub-link which many people miss, so which I attach here.

Not read it but you may find of interest.

http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B9596-S045 

Good luck.

According to the 12th RB war diary there was a heavy artillery bombardment on the Canadian front line at Ypres on the 5 June, so it could be that JD Thistle was wounded during the opening phase of the Battle of Mount Sorrell.

John 

It is a pity his record doesn't give his company.  The action between 2 June and 5 June was pretty continuous and each company's part is described well in the diary but we can't tell where he was.  The wounded during that period numbered 228.  Given what was happening, his injuries could have been from either shell fire or rifle fire and from perhaps early in the period given his admittance on 5 June in Boulogne.

The action took place in the area on the eastern side of the trench map/image at the link below,  Sanctuary Wood being centre right in square 24, Maple Copse to the west a little.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=50.8371&lon=2.9205&layers=101464903&right=BingHyb

Max

Wondering whether he could have been wounded earlier -  in the shelling in the period 22-31 May when the battalion were in the Hooge sector of the line?

He would have been evacuated by ambulance train to Boulogne having presumably passed through the intermediate stages - field ambulance/CCS first.  Could a man wounded on 2-4 June really get to Boulogne by 5 June?  .

Max

Eric Alexander McCleery 3354 37th Bn. AIF was wounded (shrapnel wound right thigh) on the 1 September 1918 at Mount St. Quentin; he was admitted to the 3rd Western General Hospital in Cardiff on the 6 September 1918.  So it is possible.

Yes, my query really was coloured by recent reading about trains taking days to reach the coast from the front but equally there will have been quick passages such as you cite.  Thank you.

Max

• spof changed the title to James Douglas Thistle 42 Bn Canadian Infantry