Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which regiment?

My great-grandfather (James Selkirk) and grand-uncle (Archibald Selkirk) joined the Seaforth Highlanders in 1914. Family history says that their younger brother William Selkirk also tried to join the Seaforths two years later when he turned 18, but wasn't allowed to. He's the one sitting down in both photos below and I'm trying to identify which battalion(s) he joined instead. The first photo (where he isn't wearing a kilt) was taken in Edinburgh, the second one in France where he met his older brothers. Any help, suggestions would be gratefully received...

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 8.31.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-12 at 8.31.34 PM.png

Going to go for this man, aged 21 on discharge in 1919 and from Edinburgh. 

Andy 

Screenshot_20190812_213826.jpg

Screenshot_20190812_214323.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

If he was born in 1898, which fits with your aged 16 in 1914, and he lived in Jeffrey Street then it is the right William. Discharged due to Gunshot wounds to the abdomen 

Was Archibald killed? 

Edited by HolymoleyRE

Hi

the two chaps standing in the second image have some unusual cloth strips about an inch and a half wide stitched to the top of their sleeves running around the seam. Does anyone have any idea why?

Dave

11 minutes ago, Dave1418 said:

Hi

the two chaps standing in the second image have some unusual cloth strips about an inch and a half wide stitched to the top of their sleeves running around the seam. Does anyone have any idea why?

Dave

The 9th (Scottish) Division, of which 7th Seaforth were a part, wore coloured arcs as seen above yo identify companies within battalions - A red, B yellow, C blue. D green. These were introduced for the Somme; some battalions carried on wearing them through to 1918 whereas others seem to have allowed them to lapse. 

Sadly I cannot add to William Selkirk Pte 9th RS 301676, I only have him on the medal roll.

https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/ 

His serial number was 7 Royal Scots, so that suggests he was posted.

In early January 1918 the 9th were in the line near Lebucquiere, improving the trenches in hard frost, this was a month before they left 51st Division. 

On 31.12.17 there is 1 OR wounded reported in the War Diary.

Edited by Neill Gilhooley

8 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

The 9th (Scottish) Division, of which 7th Seaforth were a part, wore coloured arcs as seen above yo identify companies within battalions - A red, B yellow, C blue. D green. These were introduced for the Somme; some battalions carried on wearing them through to 1918 whereas others seem to have allowed them to lapse. 

Hi Steve

that’s much appreciated, I had never realised that these distinctions were so large.

many thanks 

Dave