Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reverend Michael Bergin Aust Army Chaplain

tootrock

If anyone is in the vicinity of Reninghelst could they possibly take a photo of the headstone of The Rev. Michael Bergin, Australian Army Chaplains Department in Renginghelst Churchyard Extension, Grave No.1

This chap has an interesting story.

He was a Irish Jesuit who in 1915 was based in Cairo, when the Australians arrived. He got to know them, and as they had no chaplain he was aked to stand in. When they went to Gallipoli they took him with them, and once his credentials were confirmed he was attested into the Australian Army at Anzac. (One wonders why attestation documents were taken to Gallipoli - who did they expect to recruit?). After being evacuated to England due to sickness he eventually rejoined and served with the 51st Battalion, A.I.F on the Western Front. He was killed on 10 October 1917.

He is unique in that he was the only Australian Padre killed on the Western Front, and the only member of the Australian Forces never to have been to Australia.

Martin

Took this back in 2012 on my first foray over the Channel. Must have been very close to the time Soilsister took the ones that they uploaded onto FindAGrave, as they are almost the same, but I can guarantee that they arent.

If you PM me your email address, I will send you the original which is a lot bigger than has uploaded on here.

Bergin.jpg.54026f218f915ce68737983aef123caa.jpg

Edited by temptage

15 hours ago, temptage said:

Took this back in 2012 on my first foray over the Channel. Must have been very close to the time Soilsister took the ones that they uploaded onto FindAGrave, as they are almost the same, but I can guarantee that they arent.

If you PM me your email address, I will send you the original which is a lot bigger than has uploaded on here.

Thanks for that. PM Sent

And thanks to everyone else for offers and suggestions.

Martin

• spof changed the title to Reverend Michael Bergin Aust Army Chaplain