Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Arthur Bickers 136302 163rd Siege Battery RGA

Dazscuba

I am looking for the 163 Siege Batt RGA war diaries but having trouble finding them on Ancestry. 

I am looking for 20th Sept 1918 if anybody can show me the link to them please. 

Looking at the grave of the solider I am researching it could be that they were attached to the Canadians as there seems to be more of them than English in there.

any help appreciated 

RGA diaries are not available on Ancestry.  You need to download the Brigade diary from the National Archives.

Note that by 1918 individual batteries no longer kept their own diaries.

image.png.da9e8d4bf36186e6f0e8e2735a3385fc.png

Peter

Sorry Peter thought I had replied, bit of a brain **** (be in an oap home soon)

I looked on Monday and just goes into the basics with not much info but it’s one that’s ticked off the list.

again apoligies 

Daz

Daz

Thanks for the reply, I was worried you had missed my post. Sorry it wasn't much help but when you move up to Brigade level the detail often disappears. Are you looking for a particular man? Maybe posting his name will help?

Peter

Peter it all helps with the picture of what happened in that area at the time, thanks.

I posted him on a thread from 2007 the day before and got a gent who’s grandad was an officer in 163 SB RGA.the gent was stood next to Arthur Bickers grave last week and told me of how Bickers died, who he died with etc. So a great insight into what happened and what they did. 

Below from DIRingland

“Gunner Arthur Bickers 136302, who died on 20/9/18 was officer's servant to Lt. Casper.  By coincidence I was standing by his grave in Dominion cemetery last Saturday 6th. Oct ! I visited with a group from WFA, and at the CWGC told how the battery was attacked.  Normal harassing and neutralising fire had been carried out but during the course of a plane shoot. the Battery command post was hit by a 4.2 shell.  3 OR's were killed and 5 wounded.  One of them being Bickers. Along with Newton and Shanks they were buried in Dominion cemetery. Three further men from 163 SB are also buried in Dominion cemetery following an aerial bombardment on 27/9/18”

Daz

• spof changed the title to Gunner Arthur Bickers 136302 163rd Siege Battery RGA