Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Ernest John Brooks 25th Nova Scotia Battalion

Kate Hodson

I wonder if someone could help me.  Major Ernest John Brooks of the 25th Nova Scotia Battalion was killed in action in Courcelette on 15th June 1916. On the CWGC site there is reference to a burial site in the Albert Communal Cemetery Extension. This is the only record I have of this. He is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial and this seems to be the reference that is used most often. Can he be 'in/on' both?  I'd welcome any thoughts or clarification. 

Thanks

K

brooks cwgc 2.JPG

brooks cwgc.JPG

It seems the graves were lost in 1918. Albert Communal Cemetery Extention

" It was captured by the Germans on the 26th April 1918, and before its recapture by the 8th East Surreys on the following 22nd August (in the Battle of Albert, 1918,) it had been completely destroyed by artillery fire. "

Mike

Obviously he could have been included on the Vimy Memorial as missing, but later they located his grave, but sadly not in this case.

As can be seen on the individual record, a Memorial CROSS was positioned between I. O. 12 and I. O. 13, the graves of JH Tupper and JC Stairs, both Canadian Infantry. This doesn't signify that he was ever buried there. Even though on the Cemetery plan there are two gaps in the line, from the list of those buried there, Plot I, Row O is fully accounted for in consecutive grave numbers, apart from number 41 which I suspect to be an Unknown.

Back in 1922 when that record was written out for him, there could have been some paperwork, or other proof, that suggested he was buried there, but without concrete proof, this may have been dismissed if there was not suitable space for a grave. It was another 14 years until the Vimy Memorial was opened, so that is many years where a paper trail could have gone missing, or proven one way or another as to his whereabouts.

There are 7 Special memorials in the Cemetery, all with 'Known to be buried in this Cemetery', but his name isnt among them.

• spof changed the title to Major Ernest John Brooks 25th Nova Scotia Battalion