Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie Helmet Restoration

peregrinvs

I'm a bit of a fettler and I've had a hankering for a while to restore a WWI British Brodie helmet. Last year I took a punt on a rusty shell lurking slightly under the radar on eBay and this turned up...

pre-wash (1) r.jpg

pre-wash (2) r.jpg

pre-wash (3) r.jpg

pre-wash (4) r.jpg

pre-wash (5) r.jpg

pre-wash (6) r.jpg

It's a MkI that has lost it's liner, it's rim and most of the chinstrap bales. After a wash it looked like this...

washed (1) r.jpg

washed (2) r.jpg

washed (3) r.jpg

washed (4) r.jpg

washed (5) r.jpg

washed (6) r.jpg

washed (8) r.jpg

washed (9) r.jpg

washed (10) r.jpg

I then proceeded to remove the rust. I started with electrolysis, but for various reasons this wasn't very successful so I went back to my usual method - dilute citric acid. Underneath the grot, a nice solid helmet shell began to emerge...

Initial clean (1) r.jpg

Initial clean (2) r.jpg

Initial clean (3) r.jpg

Initial clean (4) r.jpg

Initial clean (5) r.jpg

As the corrosion was removed, I was pleased to find specs of the original paint left. They weren't salvageable for my purposes, but they gave me some useful intel as to what the original colour had been (a muddy greenish-brown) and that it seems to have had a rough textured surface. Herewith some macro shots...

MkI Brodie helmet - 01.02.2017 clean (3) r.jpg

MkI Brodie helmet - 01.02.2017 clean (4) r.jpg

Paint traces - 04.02 (1) r.jpg

Paint traces - 04.02 (2) r.jpg

Paint traces - 04.02 (3) r.jpg

Paint traces - 04.02 (4) r.jpg

Paint traces - 04.02 (5) r.jpg

Paint traces - 04.02 (6)r.jpg

Now more or less clean. The chinstrap bale remnants were clearly lost clauses, so I had no qualms about removing them. I was hoping to salvage the copper liner retention rivet, but alas not.

Lightly polished (1) r.jpg

Lightly polished (2) r.jpg

Lightly polished (3) r.jpg

Lightly polished (4) r.jpg

Lightly polished (5) r.jpg

Lightly polished (6) r.jpg

To fill in the pitting I painted on and sanded off thick coats of primer undercoat paint until the surface was more or less level. This is actually quite slow and laborious, but I got there in the end. I was also careful to paint around the worn but legible 'BS 97' stamping. (W. Beardmore & Co Ltd of Glasgow)

Sanded exterior (1) r.jpg

Sanded exterior (2) r.jpg

Sanded interior r.jpg

And so onto the painting... My paint colour recipe is very simple and arrived at via a lucky guess: it's a 50/50 mixture of two paints from the Homebase 'Home of Colour' range: 'Chocolate' and 'Camouflage'. The former is a medium/dark brown and the latter is a pale olive green. Put them together and you get a green tinged khaki brown. I only needed two tester pots worth which cost me the grand total of £3. :-)

I've been gradually putting on thin coats and today I put a coat on immediately followed by an even sprinkling of sawdust. And that's the texturing sorted...

Sawdust applied (1).JPG

Sawdust applied (2).JPG

I've since put a couple of coats on top of the sawdust and it's looking promising. I'll add some pics in due course. I also need to add some repro chinstrap bales obtained from Military History Workshop and finish off all the paintwork. Then on to adding a repro liner and chinstrap... Stay tuned folks...

I don't want to spoil the fun but the practice of texturing the paint did not come into use until after the war as far as I am aware and again, as far as I am aware, the medium used was sand rather than sawdust.

David 

1 hour ago, GRANVILLE said:

I don't want to spoil the fun but the practice of texturing the paint did not come into use until after the war as far as I am aware and again, as far as I am aware, the medium used was sand rather than sawdust.

David 

The British adopted the sand finish on April 11th 1916.

The US used sawdust.

Cheers,

GT.

I agree  with Grovetown. They were sanded if salvaged and refurbished at Calais or at unit level. An example from 11th Battalion A.I.F. Routine Orders :

'STEEL HELMETS . Coy. Cmdrs. Will render a certificate by 5 p.m. tomorrow that all Steel Helmets have been painted, sanded, and repainted over the sand.

11 Battalion Routine Orders, 11 July 1918'

Chris Henschke

Edited by Chris Henschke

Hmmmm.... And I thought I was doing so well.:unsure: When I was looking into this I found various references to Brodie helmets being coated in sand, sawdust or crushed cork. So were British helmets only finished in sand? When I was looking for pictures of original finishes online, some of them looked more like sawdust or crushed cork than sand. I'm fairly confident (as shown in the pictures above) that it originally had a 'lumpy' / textured finish.

1 hour ago, peregrinvs said:

When I was looking for pictures of original finishes online, some of them looked more like sawdust or crushed cork than sand. I'm fairly confident (as shown in the pictures above) that it originally had a 'lumpy' / textured finish.

It's generally held that the sand and sawdust finishes are virtually indistinguishable in photographs, so I wouldn't worry about it unduly.

14 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

And so onto the painting... My paint colour recipe is very simple and arrived at via a lucky guess: it's a 50/50 mixture of two paints from the Homebase 'Home of Colour' range: 'Chocolate' and 'Camouflage'. The former is a medium/dark brown and the latter is a pale olive green. Put them together and you get a green tinged khaki brown. I only needed two tester pots worth which cost me the grand total of £3. :-)

And FWIW, I think the colour is pretty good - and another couple of coats on top of the sawdust would get you nearer to the effect you're after.

Cheers,

GT.

17 minutes ago, Grovetown said:

And FWIW, I think the colour is pretty good - and another couple of coats on top of the sawdust would get you nearer to the effect you're after.

Cheers,

GT.

Thanks. And having applied three coats since putting on the sawdust, it does look quite good. (Which makes it more annoying) My paint supply is now quite limited as I've just discovered Homebase have discontinued the 'Chocolate' paint in tester pots. If I want to buy more, it'll be a tenner for 2.5L worth... :angry:

Perhaps I shall pretend it's a recovered and locally refurbished helmet - and it so happens they used sawdust rather than sand to add a textured finish. (Hopefully this isn't totally unrealistic) It's already 'refurbished' in the sense that it is no longer in factory trim - having lost it's rim. There's what's described as a MkI on the NAM website that has lost it's rim:

http://ww1.nam.ac.uk/1904/news/brodie-helmet/#.WMqLtdLyi70

52 minutes ago, peregrinvs said:

Thanks. And having applied three coats since putting on the sawdust, it does look quite good. (Which makes it more annoying) My paint supply is now quite limited as I've just discovered Homebase have discontinued the 'Chocolate' paint in tester pots. If I want to buy more, it'll be a tenner for 2.5L worth... :angry:

Perhaps I shall pretend it's a recovered and locally refurbished helmet - and it so happens they used sawdust rather than sand to add a textured finish. (Hopefully this isn't totally unrealistic) It's already 'refurbished' in the sense that it is no longer in factory trim - having lost it's rim. There's what's described as a MkI on the NAM website that has lost it's rim:

http://ww1.nam.ac.uk/1904/news/brodie-helmet/#.WMqLtdLyi70

Sorry to disappoint: but the NAM is just wrong, as oft so many museums are.

(This is the place - I shall withhold the name - where a Very Senior Exhibits person told me that a US-made 14 Pattern pouch, green as per the original specification, was actually Australian and had been "camouflaged").

The image is from an original specification shared by a forum member here. Note the last sentence.

Cheers,

GT.

35_042c - Copy.jpg

Edited by Grovetown

At the risk of upsetting everyone, I have to confess to taking air rifle potshots at an original Brodie hanging on a wall.  This back in the 1950's, it was found 'under the stairs', at my Gran's, so would have belonged to her brother, who served in the K.S.L.I.  Would that I had it now.

Hang head in shame.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

The story resumes...

As mentioned, I got as far as putting a layer of painted sawdust on the exterior and I didn't think it looked too bad.

Sawdust added (1) r.jpg

Sawdust added (2) r.jpg

Sawdust added (3) r.jpg

Sawdust added (4) r.jpg

But as discussed I hadn't done my research properly. So off it had to come...:(

Sawdust removed r.jpg

Ah well, these things happen.:mellow: I've since acquired a small quantity of sand and have cooked up a new batch of paint. I think I slightly prefer the MkII paint mix to the MkI - slightly more brown and slightly less green. Here's a picture of the repainted interior.

Interior painted r.jpg

I've since added some repro chinstrap bales and have put a couple of coats on the exterior. Hopefully in the next day or two I'll add a coating of sand. Stay tuned...;)

Exterior repainted.

Pre-sand.JPG

Sand added.

Sand added.JPG

Repro chinstrap bales added. These came from Military History Workshop.

Chinstrap bales added.JPG

Close up of chinstrap bale.

Chinstrap bale.JPG

Sand overpainted. Now to start thinking about installing the liner.

Sand overpainted (1) r.jpg

Sand overpainted (2) r.jpg

Very nice, but shouldn't this have a sawdust coating?;)

Mike.

Edited by MikeyH

Great restoration, no sawdust or sand on mine, with a 2nd pattern liner

Hel 2.jpg

MY HELMET.JPG

Edited by pioneecorps