Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Royal Scots August 1914. Photo Identification.

alistair_m

Hello,

Attached is a photo postcard of my Great Uncle Arthur Lawson.  Its dated August 1914 and I believe was taken at Leith, shortly after Arthur's attestation.  I believe the photograph to be taken at Leith - certainly other pictures with the same unique style of fencing, suggest this to be the case.  The postcard was sent to Rhoda Rawson - Arthur's maternal grandmother and refers to some chocolate that she had sent to both Arthur and someone by the name of "Hadden" a possible clue to the others in the picture.

Arthur was initially in the "Dandy 9th" Royal Scots, and with the help of others on this forum, we have identified another picture of him outside of the 9th Drill Hall (now Bruntsfield Primary School, Edinburgh).  I would therefore guess that the others in the picture with him, are members of the same Coy from the 9th RS.

I would love to be able to identify the others in the photograph and subsequently, what became of them.  Arthur is at the very front of the picture.

Many thanks in advance

Alistair

Arthur Lawson Group Photo Small.jpg

There are a few Haddens in the RS, as uncovered in the Medal Rolls. One of them was at Gallipoli, landing in Nov 1915. Two were killed in 1914 in France.

Two others landed in France in May 1915 (12043 J Hadden) and Jun 1915 (330529 D Hadden). Not to say that this man was an RS, he could have been elsewhere and still in contact.

1954 Arthur Cresswell Lawson landed in France with 9th Battalion on 24.2.1915. On 1.12.1915 he took a Commission and was a 2/Lt in the 11th Gordons.

Killed in action on 19 Nov 1916. Medals were sent to what looks like a solicitors practice in Melville Street, Edinburgh ( Murray Lawson and Macdonald).

You will be able to say if this is the right Lawson.

Was the 9th drill hall not in East Claremont street ?

Davie

Great picture Alistair. This is taken at St Ann's Maltings off Easter Rd, 9th Royal Scots first "War Station". They were here for August and September 1914.

The same railings can be seen here: Q51870 http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205285513

Hadden is possibly Thomas Hadden 3482, 351066, though no '15 Star; or Albert Hadden 17644 but he was trans from 15th RS

https://neillgilhooley.com/9th-royal-scots/index/