Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Interpreting reasons for transfer on service record

TheMixMonkey

Hello all,

I am looking at the service record of my great uncle William Herbert Tennet.

Prior to seeing his service record all I knew was that he was in the RFA. I have since discovered that he was trasferred to the Lancashire Fusiliers in 1916. The main question on my mind, is what does "Transferred Compulsorily" mean? I have tried to search on the forum for answers but haven't found a clear definition. Is this because it's a blanket term, and there were lots of reasons for a compulsory transfer. Based on things I have heard about William after the war, I'm wondering whether it could have been disciplinary...is this a possibility? I know he was wounded twice (which would have been the obvious answer) but both occasions were after the transfer.

Anyway, here is a copy of the page, is there anything on there that could give any clues?

Also next to where it says Transferred Compulsorily, it mentions 11th reserve brigade (?). Is this where he was transferred from, or to?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

WHTservice.jpg

Chris

One of my relatives joined the RFA in Oct 1916 but was transferred to the Yorkshire regiment in Dec 1916 (either just before leaving for France or when he arrived). I believe a whole batch of RFA men were transferred as at that point in time, the army needed infantry more than artillery.

I wait to be corrected

btw I couldn't open the attachment

regards

Rob

I have seen the term used in the same circumstances recently. On each occasion it was a batch transfer from one unit to a completely different one via a "reserve brigade". It appears that conscripts were initially allocated a unit and then moved to wherever men were needed. So he was probably required elsewhere and was amongst a group who all made the same move at the same time.

Ken

The clerk in this case has quoted the WO Telegram, which in itself will become an Army Council Instruction regarding "compulsory transfer". I have ACI's for this period, but not to hand.