Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 1st Bn. in India 1920

kkinsella

Hi Everyone,

I will try this topic once more. The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, 1st Bn. were sent to India at the end of the Great War. L/Sgt. Edward Joseph Timoney Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers,(11582) attached 36th Division Signal Company, Service No. 6972309, died on 17th September 1920. He was a native of Cookstown, Co. Tyrone. Can anyone please tell me how he died or was his battalion in action while in India in 1920?

Edward's younger brother, John, was killed in action on 11 July 1916 near Ovillers-la-Boiselle.

Regards,

Ken.

Ken

You may have noted that this soldier is buried in Malakand on the North West Frontier of India,so he may have been part of the North West Frontier Force active from 1919.Have you checked his Medal Index Card,which would probably have a medal shown to that end if he was.

Sotonmate

Edit: He is shown on MIC as Joseph 11582.A Trio. Z Reserve 15.3.1919,so he likely re-enlisted. See also this article,it may be relevant(I haven't read it all !):

http://www.khyber.org/publications

The full link didn't open but you need to scroll down to Items 41-45 and select T Moreman's item,click at bottom right for full text.

The only Edward Timoney I could find has a medal card showing only the BWM and VM along with a SWB.

His card also shows

R.I Fusiliers 29848

R.W Fusiliers 57195

Depot

Ken

You may have noted that this soldier is buried in Malakand on the North West Frontier of India,so he may have been part of the North West Frontier Force active from 1919.Have you checked his Medal Index Card,which would probably have a medal shown to that end if he was.

Edit: He is shown on MIC as Joseph 11582.A Trio. Z Reserve 15.3.1919,so he likely re-enlisted. See also this article,it may be relevant(I haven't read it all !):

http://www.khyber.org/publications

The full link didn't open but you need to scroll down to Items 41-45 and select T Moreman's item,click at bottom right for full text.

Sotonmate,

Thank you for the high quality information (as usual) on Malakand and the North West Frontier of India; I found this most enlightening and it has led me to more information on British activity in North West India in 1919/1920.

Regards,

Ken.

The only Edward Timoney I could find has a medal card showing only the BWM and VM along with a SWB.

His card also shows

R.I Fusiliers 29848

R.W Fusiliers 57195

Depot

ss002d6252,

Thank you for your research and response. Although the name of the soldier in question was, Edward Joseph Timoney, it was Joseph Timoney on his M.I.C.. Thanks again.

Regards,

Ken.

• 6 years later...

I have just found this forum and read with interest about LSgt Timoney. This is interesting as he was married to my grandfathers sister and the address of 45 Beaumont ave is is churchtown Dublin and still exists. 

I also have his full size medals, miniature medals and ribbon bar. I also have a photograph of him in uniform taken after the war and on this pith helmet it has a signals patch. He died of heatstroke on 17 September 1920.

His number is 6972309 (11582) attd 36th Div Signal Coy.

If you would like a pic of his medals and of him let me know. 

Interesting to see, thanks you for posting.

The best treatment for heatstroke was ice which was probably unobtainable in a place like Malakand.

I note the flash/patch on the helmet doesn't appear to be the standard Royal Signals/previous Royal Engineers flash. Perhaps it is one for the specific Signals Company?

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

Listed as Joseph Timony on the burial register 

tim.JPG

also note the discrepancy in the date

Regards Ray

Edit also listed as Timony on the overseas death indexes

overseas death index.JPG

Edited by RaySearching
additional info