Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt S Caldwell R.A.F.

Guest KevinEndon

Guest KevinEndon

I am wondering if a pal could help me find this officer for me please, he is

Lieutenant Stewart Caldwell, (20), youngest son of Mr (since deceased) and Mrs Thomas Caldwell, Rockfield, Renfrew Road, medical student – Lieutenant Royal Air Force, died pneumonia, Glasgow Infirmary, November 12th 1918.

He may be an IFTC chap but as you can see I have very little to go on, fingers crossed you can help me add some meat to the bone, many thanks in advance,

Kevin

This might be a start, Kevin. I found an entry in the Flight magazine for December 13th 1917 which could be for your man:

London Gazette Supplement, December 8th 1917.

The following appointments are made:-

Flying Officers - Temp. 2nd Lieuts. (on prob.), Gen. List, and to be confirmed

in their rank:- S. Caldwell, D. W. Dawson, N. S. Jones; Nov. 15th

Steve

Guest KevinEndon

His papers say that he resigned his commission on the 10th January 1918 to resume medical studies.

My question is how does someone resign their commission in the R.A.F. to carry on being a medical student while the war is still ongoing,

Kevin

There's a thread somewhere about the shortage of doctors during the war.

Many medical students were encouraged to return to their studies to help alleviate this.

Just a thought.

EDIT: Found the thread but it seems that this situation had been eased by the arrival of the Americans.

You could check the Medical Register and Medical Directory for information about him. Someone in the RFC may have been thinking ahead, the RAF would want their own medical branch.