Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brothers called Fuery Killed in WW1

nedsir

Ed I have no doubt the family suffered casualties,its the number of them that causes confusion.

The Times report states 5 casualties but today people are suggesting 6/7.

I always felt William was included as a casualty and still is today but his SR proves otherwise, This will run for a while yet.

Regards,

Murrough.

I always felt William was included in the list of casualties and still is today because newspaper reports in 1917 reported him dead and present day researchers presume he was left off both SDGW and CWGC, but his SR proves he was hiding in Loughrea while AWOL, and was still alive in 1922.

I also think researchers think Malachy and Alick are 2 different brothers but I think they are the same person as Malachy was only 16 when he joined up and I think he

used the name Alick.Confusion set in when local news papers at the time reported the death of Malachy and but it was Alick on CWGC and in recent times I think people thought they were 2 different brothers.

Regards,

Murrough.

Hi,

On his Attestation page its states he had been discharged from the 3rd Battalion the Connaught Rangers having given the wrong age.

Regards Mark

post-14045-1248735768.jpg

I always felt William was included in the list of casualties and still is today because newspaper reports in 1917 reported him dead and present day researchers presume he was left off both SDGW and CWGC, but his SR proves he was hiding in Loughrea while AWOL, and was still alive in 1922.

Regards,

Murrough.

It's a poser. I am going to sleep on it. thanks and good luck.

Ned

Neddsir,

Have you looked at William Henry's book "Forgotten Heroes, Galway Soldiers of the Great War"

pages 28-31??.

It names the Fureys who served in the GW but thinks there is confusion about first names

as there seems to have been Willie, Willie John and Wiliam.

Regards,

C.T.

Neddsir,

Have you looked at William Henry's book "Forgotten Heroes, Galway Soldiers of the Great War"

pages 28-31??.

It names the Fureys who served in the GW but thinks there is confusion about first names

as there seems to have been Willie, Willie John and Wiliam.

Regards,

C.T.

Hi

I have never read the book you mention. But as you point out the fact that the names are so alike really causes great problems for anyone trying sort out this story. I went to school many years ago with a settled traveller family and came across the same situation. Plus the fact for a long time the family in question (for some reason) tried to let on that cousins were in fact brothers and so forth. It was many years later that the truth was discovered, in my case. There seem to be a running theme for this with travellers. Your guess is as good as mine for this being so.

Thanks

Ned

I have had a look at SDGW and CWGC and there is no William Furey/Feury, Willie or Willie John listed on either.The fathers name was William so you would expect at least 1 son to be named after him.Willie and Willie John may be nicknames or pet names for other brothers.The other names listed in the book as maybe having died are Martin Francis,Malachy,Alick and Henry.So these are the names of brothers who may have died,

1.Willie

2.Willie John

3.William

4.Martin Francis

5.Henry

6.Malachy

7.Alick (on SDGW as Fuery and CWGC as Furey)

This is getting messier.

I still think the best way forward with this is to get Death Certs as I am sure certs must have been issued for all army Casualties,does any other forum member know the exact procedure regarding casualties in the war?

I have had a look at SDGW and CWGC and there is no William Furey/Feury, Willie or Willie John listed on either.The fathers name was William so you would expect at least 1 son to be named after him.Willie and Willie John may be nicknames or pet names for other brothers.The other names listed in the book as maybe having died are Martin Francis,Malachy,Alick and Henry.So these are the names of brothers who may have died,

1.Willie

2.Willie John

3.William

4.Martin Francis

5.Henry

6.Malachy

7.Alick (on SDGW as Fuery and CWGC as Furey)

This is getting messier.

I still think the best way forward with this is to get Death Certs as I am sure certs must have been issued for all army Casualties,does any other forum member know the exact procedure regarding casualties in the war?

Well done Murrough the only one missing is Davy Arthur. I wonder if the Furey bros group could help out as they are supposed to be related to our Furey's.

Ned

Well done Murrough the only one missing is Davy Arthur. I wonder if the Furey bros group could help out as they are supposed to be related to our Furey's.

Ned

I just got word back from the Connaught Rangers Assoc who have told me they researched the Furey story in some detail and the it is not true, not to put too fine a point on it. Here is part of the email I got. Hope this goes a long way to sorting it out.

Email from C.R.A.

The Furey family legend is thankfully untrue. I have been contacted by a

number of people over the years about it and yes 7 Furey bothers may have

fought in WW1 but they were not killed. I have researched this subject

thoroughly and consulted with military historians in the UK. There is only

one casualty with that surname in the whole War. He was killed with 1st

Battalion Connaught Rangers on Wednesday, April 7th, 1915.

1. Pte. Alick Fuery, No. 4240. Kia. Aged 18. Born Loughrea, enlisted

Ballinasloe, Co Galway, residence Loughrea, Co Galway. Son of William and

Mary of Bride St, Loughrea, Co Galway. Rue de Bacquerot, No. 1, Military

Cemetery, Laventie, France.

End of email.

Ned

Thats fine Ned,but whose going to tell Paddy Harte and the other Furey Brothers;LOL

Hi Murrough,

I don't know murrough but I hope whoever it is breaks it to them gently. As Paddy sounded very excited about it on our local radio station last week. OOPS!

Regards

Ned

• 2 years later...

Sorry for coming into this late.

My grandfather was John Joseph Furey. The following is what I believe to be correct.

• Born in Loughre County Galway and I reckon around 1890 (ish)
  • Connaught Rangers-reg number 10261
  • To India with 1st Battalion 1911 (ish)
  • Duke of Wellingtons around Huddersfield, Yorkshire early 1920s
  • Died 1954

I'd be very grateful if anybody can add anything to the embarassingly sparse history of a WW1 veteran

John Mc

South Australia

John,

Welcome to the forum.

He entered theatre of war France with 1st Bn. when they landed at Marseilles on 26 September 1914 having sailed from India.

http://www.1914-1918.net/connaught.htm

1st Battalion

August 1914 : in Ferozepore, India. Part of the 7th (Ferozepore) Brigade in 3rd (Lahore) Division. Sailed from Karachi on 28 August 1914 as part of the Indian Corps and moved to France, landing at Marseilles on 26 September 1914.

5 December 1914 : absorbed 2nd Bn.Bn served on the Western Front until leaving France on 11 December 1915, whereupon it moved to Mesopotamia, landing at Basra on 10 January 1916.

3 April 1918 : sailed from Kuwait to Egypt for service in Palestine.

Enlisted 7/10/1911. Discharged 8/6/1916 due to wounds. Applied for Silver War Badge 6/5/1917 from address Williams St. West Galway, Ireland.

John

SWB number 185446 was awarded. There are approximately 25 pages of Service Records for him on Ancestry.

John

G'day John

Thanks for the welcome and the prompt response. When you say '... approximately 25 pages of Service Records for him on Ancestry' it sounds like an awful lot of info (which would be great of course), but is that you meant?

John Mc

John,

Yes. In two lots -

Name: John Joseph Furey

Age at enlistment: 18

Birth Parish: Rahoon

Birth County: Galway

Regimental Number: 15261 [Ancestry have indexed the number incorrectly]

Regiment Name: The Conn Rangers

Number of images: 12

and

Name: John Joseph Furey

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894

Age at enlistment: 17

Birth Parish: St Nicholas

Birth County: Galway

Document Year: 1911

Regiment Name: Bn (Special Reserve) The Connaught Rangers

Number of images: 13

Do you have access to Ancestry?

John

John

I need to start the process for Ancestry access.

John

Galway is the right county and their ages are about right, but both those regimental numbers are different to the one I had (mine was/is 10261). I'm very confident he went to India, so that means the 1st Battalion. My Mum was born in Loughrea in March 1916, which means my grandfather must have been in Galway in the summer of 1915 if only on a short leave.

Any further thoughts please?

John Mc

Hello John,

I see you are in Australia. These records are on Ancestry.co.uk. It would be worth checking if Ancestry.com.au has them available to you before paying out.

Regards

CGM

Definitely the same man.

One set of records deal with his enlistment as 3859 in 3rd. Bn. (Special Reserve) The Connaught Rangers in January 1911. He subsequently chose to join the regular army and did so in October 1911 and was then given the number 10261. The other set of records on Ancestry have been incorrectly indexed as 15261.

He was wounded on 2/11/1914 and sent home on 11/12/1914 and subsequently discharged on 8/6/1916 without returning to the 1st Bn.

John

Thanks John. Family folk lore has it that he joined the Duke of Wellington's Regiment some time later. This could be true, given the Dukes recruited in the West Riding where he settled sometime around 1917 (ish).

Thanks for the tip on Ancestry Aus-I have joined and it looks excellent. I propose to look to see if he was injured in France.

Again many thanks

John Mc

Cheers CGM. That's starting to make sense now-what great site this is! I think he may have joined up again in WWII, but I dunno until I get into Ancestry

John Mc

There is also a mention of the Duke of Wellingtons service in the other records for him I mentioned on Ancestry.

John

QUOTE (rob elliott @ Jul 26 2009, 09:37 PM)

Hello Ned,

This is a bit of a coincidence as about three weeks ago i came across a small mention of the brothers in a newspaper and i was wondering wether to post the same query but as its not my particular location of research was hesitant.

Anyway, the article appeared in the Londonderry Sentinel-

'Six Brothers Killed in Action'

News has reached Londonderry of the death from wounds received in action of Pte William Furey, of the Inniskilling Fusiliers.

Pte Furey was a native of Loughrea, County Galway.

There were eight brothers in the army. and six of them have now fallen in the present war.

Four were in the Connaught Rangers, two in the Royal Irish Fusiliers and one in the Royal Irish Rifles.

Their mother is a widow.

This was dated after June 1917 as the main section relates to Messines.

At the time i checked the 1911 census for the Connaught Rangers barracks and there was one Furey stationed there.

Rob

Hi,

The man on the 1911 Census is 3859 Private John Joseph Furey aged 17. (18 on 31 July 1911)

Enlisted 31 Jan 1911 into the 3rd Battalion and was then discharged on 6 Oct 1911 to join the Regular Army, 1st Battalion The Connaught Rangers with no.10261.

Then discharged 8 June 1916. (King George V Hospital, Dublin)

Regards Mark

G'day mark

I reckon (thanks to the help from you guys) this is my grandfather.

John Mc

South Australia