Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
rendellers

Buchan

MichaelBully

Carrying on trying to read John Buchan's novels. I have started but gave on 'The Isle of Sheep', just couldn't hold my interest. But started 'The Three Hostages '- and the author's commentary on post Great War disillusionment and anxieties is fascinating. Still have problems with some of the racial stereotyping though.

seaJane

Oh, I like 'The Island of Sheep' - but understanding some of it depends on having read 'Courts of the Morning' first.

Be interested to know what you think of 'A Prince of the Captivity' when you get to it.

Anneca

Interesting - thanks for that information Gibbo!

Several John Buchan books, including The Thirty-Nine Steps, are available for free download from Project Gutenberg, although, since I saw The Thirty-Nine Steps for only £6.99 in Waterstones yesterday, I'll probably stick to the traditional format.

MichaelBully

'The Three Hostages' is fast becoming my favourite John Buchan that I have read so far. I am reading it slowly as don't want to reach the end. It is a fascinating study of the post Great War interest in psychology and occultism, with the standard conspiracy and arch villain.

Anneca

I haven't read 'The Three Hostages' but your description sounds intriguing Michael. I have never heard of anyone reading a book slowly as they don't want it to end but I know exactly what you mean! Sounds like this is now another on my list to read.

'The Three Hostages' is fast becoming my favourite John Buchan that I have read so far. I am reading it slowly as don't want to reach the end. It is a fascinating study of the post Great War interest in psychology and occultism, with the standard conspiracy and arch villain.

Nepper

The Three Hostages is my favourite Hannay novel but I think my favourite overall is John MacNab which is a Leithan novel but stands very well on its own.

MichaelBully

I'll try not to spoil the plot when discussing 'The Three Hostages' on this thread then ! The wider theme of how 'alternative ' religious and spiritual groups were in the ascent after the Great War could well warrent a separate thread. Certainly from reading 'The Three Hostages' one is reminded that such movements had appeared in Britain well before the 1960', though perhaps in the 1920's and 1930's they were confined to certain urban centres. I've already mentioned that in 'The Three Hostages' there is some racial stereotyping which I don't think -quite rightly-would be acceptable in our time.

What I would say is that the arch villain in 'The Three Hostages' is also my favourite John Buchan 'baddie' so far.

I haven't read 'The Three Hostages' but your description sounds intriguing Michael. I have never heard of anyone reading a book slowly as they don't want it to end but I know exactly what you mean! Sounds like this is now another on my list to read.

Anneca

Michael, now you and Nigel have not only got me hooked but are reeling me in!

I'll try not to spoil the plot when discussing 'The Three Hostages' on this thread then ! The wider theme of how 'alternative ' religious and spiritual groups were in the ascent after the Great War could well warrent a separate thread. Certainly from reading 'The Three Hostages' one is reminded that such movements had appeared in Britain well before the 1960', though perhaps in the 1920's and 1930's they were confined to certain urban centres. I've already mentioned that in 'The Three Hostages' there is some racial stereotyping which I don't think -quite rightly-would be acceptable in our time.

What I would say is that the arch villain in 'The Three Hostages' is also my favourite John Buchan 'baddie' so far.

MichaelBully

Well there is still time to ask Santa :rolleyes: ! Alternately I got a Wordsworth Classic paperback collection of the five Richard Hannay novels new for £2.50. .I bought it for 'Greenmantle' but have dipped into 'Mr. Standfast' which I couldn't stop reading and enjoyed a great deal. Then of course 'The Three Hostages'. Another aspect I rate John Buchan for (from what I have read so far) is his appreciation of the natural world. His descriptions of the changing seasons and his reverence for animals, particularly birds, is remarkable.

Michael, now you and Nigel have not only got me hooked but are reeling me in!

Anneca

Yes Michael, there was time to ask Santa. I have it on good authority my Son is buying me 'Grey Wolf - The Escape of Adolf Hitler' and now my Husband is looking for the paperback collection of the five Richard Hannay novels (which I just happened to mention) I hadn't known about. biggrin.gif I reckon nobody will see me for many weeks, months maybe, after Christmas!!!

Well there is still time to ask Santa :rolleyes: ! Alternately I got a Wordsworth Classic paperback collection of the five Richard Hannay novels new for £2.50. .I bought it for 'Greenmantle' but have dipped into 'Mr. Standfast' which I couldn't stop reading and enjoyed a great deal. Then of course 'The Three Hostages'. Another aspect I rate John Buchan for (from what I have read so far) is his appreciation of the natural world. His descriptions of the changing seasons and his reverence for animals, particularly birds, is remarkable.

Moonraker

The TV series

Hannay

is being repeated at 2000 each week-day evening (I think) on Talking Pictures (Channel 81). The third  episode (again I think) is tonight.

It's set in the build-up to the Great War. The first episode featured Hannay's return from South Africa to London, where he encounters an old enemy, Count Von Schwabing. Apart from a brief foray to Scotland (chauffered by an attractive lady just turning 21 years old), there's no similarity to the plot in The Thirty-Nine Steps.

Last time I viewed the series back in 2006, I posted a comment

here

(post 8)

Moonraker

Nepper

With the current rash of period dramas, I do think the time is ripe for an (accurate) remaking of John Macnab.

seaJane

Oh yes! I remember the BBC Scotland Sunday afternoon serial of that one in 1976. Seem to recall it was faithful to the book and rather well done.

Nepper
1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Oh yes! I remember the BBC Scotland Sunday afternoon serial of that one in 1976. Seem to recall it was faithful to the book and rather well done.

I enjoyed it to but after 40 years I think a remake is due

seaJane

Or at least a repeat - they've repeated everything else!

Moonraker

According to a very brief reference on IMDB, yet another remake is "in development" - no further details.

I came across the reference when checking out

IMDB comments

on the Robert Powell version that was screened the other night.

(Note the "factual error": " When members of the Admiralty are being spoken to, one of them has medal ribbons for medals issued at the end of WWI, namely the Victory and War medals. This film is set before WWI."  Recently others here on the GWF have noted  similar goofs in other films.)

The Powell film wasn't bad - better than the 1959 Kenneth More version - though train buffs would have winced at the railway sequences. And the introduction of some romance as provided by Karen Dotrice was an unnecessary distraction. She couldn't act, and seemed remarkably unmoved by the murder of her fiancé.

Moonraker

keithmroberts

At a fairly irrelevant tangent, I have just acquired a first edition Buchan volume, his history of Brasenose College, published in 1898. The college archives hold the minute book for what I think was a short lived college society the name of which escapes me, written in his own hand, with a fairly typical set of rules. I can't remember the details now as they were on display 10 years ago at an exhibition marking the 500th anniversary of the founding of the college.

Keith