Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

105 Brigade attack on The Knoll, 19 August 1917

DaveC1903

My first post on this wonderful forum. I have recently discovered the addictiveness of researching a relative who served in WW1 and am thankful for the many useful threads and information on the forum.

I'm researching my great-uncle, L/Cpl Alexander Christie, 21379, 16 Battalion Cheshire Regiment, KIA 19 August 1917. From reading Stephen McGreal's book, and having received information from the Cheshire Military Museum, my great uncle was killed in action during an attack on The Knoll.

Does anyone have a trench map of The Knoll from around this date? There is a sketch on p163 of McGreal's book but I was hoping to also find a trench map to confirm the location on the battlefield. For example, there was a second attack on a position at Guillemont Farm (also shown in the p163 sketch) - which I am assuming is near Guillemont.

Any other info on the attack would be greatfully received. I do have a copy of the 16 Battalion War Diary for this period.

Thanks,

David

First, it's a common mistake to refer to Guillemont Farm. It is actually Gillemont Farm, and is nowhere near Guillemont which is near Albert. Gillemont Farm is midway between Lempire and Bony and the Knoll is a small hill to the northeast of the farm. If I can find a copy of a map I'll post it separately. Gillemont farm was the scene of heavy fighting in May 1917 and is where Ian Fleming's father Valentine Fleming was killed. VF was an officer with the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars.

David:

I can't locate my trench map of Gillemont Farm. But if you Google earth to this location you will find it:

49deg 59' N, 3deg 12' E. The Knoll is north of the farm at 49deg 60' N. Another easy way to locate the farm is to find the Somme American Cemetery at Bony. The small road/track running ENE from the cemetery leads to Gillemont farm, which is right on the bend of the road.

My QOOH regimental history does not rcord anything of interest to your research as the regt left the area in July.

Good luck! If there is anything else about Gillemont farm I can tell you, just post your questions.

Peter

David:

My apologies - the ref should have been 49deg59'24" N.

Also: going back to the Guillemont/Gillemont question, I have seen Guillemont written in books when Gillemont is correct. As I said, it's a common error.

Peter

Peter,

Many thanks for replying so quickly and pointing me in the right direction. I found the farm on Google Earth. That makes a lot more sense to me now, as Gillemont is less than 3 miles from Templeux-Le-Guerard cemetery where my great-uncle is buried.

Thanks also for sharing the information about Valentine Fleming and the QOOH.

David

David:

Glad I could help. I have been trying to upload a couple of pics I took there a few years ago, but I haven't found out how to do it! If you send me a PM (personal message) I'll email them to you.

Peter

Here are the two places you mentioned David, I found them using Peters co-ordinates, unfortunately its on the edge of the map, I'll look for another that show the area to the west of it.

regards

Tom

post-5284-1224509207.jpg

Ok heres the area to the west David, as you can see the Knoll is marked top right of the map

regards

Tom

post-5284-1224509487.jpg

The map extracts are from the Linesman product David which I use when battlefield touring with my satvav PDA.

Hope this has helped

regards

tom

Hello Dave,

You may find a little more information in the book "The Bantams" & also the "History of the 35th. Division" there is an excellent sketch map of the area you are concerned with in the latter book.

Cheers.

Colin

Colin:

I would appreciate specifics on the 'History of the 35th Division' such as author and publisher as Abebooks doesn't reveal it.

Peter

Hello Peter,

35th. Division by Lt. Colonel H. M. Davson re-published by The Naval & Military Press, it also includes casualties for the various battalions in the Division, for anyone interested in the Bantams a must. I have seen it on Amazon at times.

Cheers.

Colin

Tom - Many thanks for posting those maps. That is incredibly helpful and I recognise a lot of the trench names from the 16 Bn War Diary. Would you recommend Linesman? From reading briefly on these pages, it looks like it might work with my Palm Treo.

Colin - Thank you for the heads up on the 35th Division book. I found it on the Naval & Military Press website. They have a pdf of the title pages, looks like there is a chapter specifically on Gillemont and The Knoll. It's on sale on N&MP, I ordered my copy from e-bay earlier. A seller in California has a bunch of them and I figured it will get to Texas quicker from there than the UK!

Peter- I appreciate the offer, I have sent you a PM but I am not sure if it went through. I think I may have a problem sending so please let me know if you haven't received it.

Thanks again!

• 1 year later...
Guest JohnHolmes

This is my first entry onto the website.

My great uncle, Private 48693 Felix Sayer HOLME of the 15th Battalion (Bantams) Cheshire Regiment was badly wounded on 19th August 1917 whilst taking part on an assault on The Knoll near Gillemont Farm, east of Lempire on the Somme, and died of his wounds the following day, 20th August 2009, at the 55th Casualty Clearing Station at Vecquemont.

He is buried at nearby Villers Faucon.

I am interested to know if anyone has actually visited this area, and to know if The Knoll still exists.

This is my first entry onto the website.

My great uncle, Private 48693 Felix Sayer HOLME of the 15th Battalion (Bantams) Cheshire Regiment was badly wounded on 19th August 1917 whilst taking part on an assault on The Knoll near Gillemont Farm, east of Lempire on the Somme, and died of his wounds the following day, 20th August 2009, at the 55th Casualty Clearing Station at Vecquemont.

He is buried at nearby Villers Faucon.

I am interested to know if anyone has actually visited this area, and to know if The Knoll still exists.

Welcome to the site, John. I know a couple of Pals have visited the area in the last few years.

Please see this thread which has some trench maps and additional information.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...72&hl=epehy

A couple of pictures here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...hl=macquincourt

John:

The Knoll certainly does still exist, but only as a hump in the land. It's a pretty bleak upland area with only isolated clumps of trees, such as those around Gillemont Farm and other farms for protection from the wind. The land is intensively farmed and I don't think any trench or outpost remains have survived. Nor any obvious shell craters although the ground was blasted with bombardments in 1917. I've not found any war signs at all, except the usual unexploded shell collections, although perhaps there might be some signs a long way away from the road or other tracks. I agree the American Somme Museum down the road at Bony is worth a visit, and the guardian/manager there was very helpful when I visited.

John:

The Knoll certainly does still exist, but only as a hump in the land. It's a pretty bleak upland area with only isolated clumps of trees, such as those around Gillemont Farm and other farms for protection from the wind. The land is intensively farmed and I don't think any trench or outpost remains have survived. Nor any obvious shell craters although the ground was blasted with bombardments in 1917. I've not found any war signs at all, except the usual unexploded shell collections, although perhaps there might be some signs a long way away from the road or other tracks. I agree the American Somme Museum down the road at Bony is worth a visit, and the guardian/manager there was very helpful when I visited.

American Somme 'Museum' ?? I meant Cemetery of course.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys

One of my Buxton lads - :poppy: L/Cpl 47100 William BRINDLEY (15th Bn. Sherwood Foresters) was killed in action attacking 'The Knoll' on 19 August 1917.

Just when I was trying to find out where The Knoll is/was for my website - up comes this post with the trench map - brilliant!

Thanks very much

Graham

post-37838-0-76423600-1310656999.jpg

Interesting to note that Ego Post (11 d 9.6) on the map was subsequently renamed Egg Post because of an error in printing on later maps. Mind you, there are quite a few sawmills strewn about that became sugar factories, and vice versa .

Martin

Here are some photos of the area as it looks now:

Top left is Gillemont Farm, next is the Macquincourt Valley and the bottom is a rough location of the Knoll, the last is an aerial taken of Gillemot Farm prior to the American Attack on September 29, 1918.

Also I woud recommend the Battle Ground Europe: Epehy which deals with this area.

post-3373-0-87658800-1310755059.jpg

post-3373-0-56880500-1310755150.jpg

post-3373-0-40779100-1310755243.jpg

post-3373-0-93891800-1310755431.jpg

• 5 years later...

Very happy to report that I will be visiting this area in the next fortnight. It has taken a while for everything to line up but I am pleased to be paying my respects almost 100 years since my Great Uncle was killed in action.

• 1 year later...
On 3/3/2017 at 20:22, DaveC1903 said:

Very happy to report that I will be visiting this area in the next fortnight. It has taken a while for everything to line up but I am pleased to be paying my respects almost 100 years since my Great Uncle was killed in action.

How did your visit to the area go?

• 5 months later...
On 18/11/2009 at 13:40, DaveC1903 said:

Bienvenue sur le site, John. Je sais que quelques amis ont visité la région au cours des dernières années.

S'il vous plaît voir ce fil qui a quelques cartes de tranchées et des informations supplémentaires.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...72&hl=epehy

Quelques photos ici:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...hl=macquincourt

Le knoll existe toujours, des tranchées sont encore visibles dans ce secteur, des objets toujours retrouves casques skrapnels fusils balles grenades

On 17/11/2009 at 13:32, Guest JohnHolmes said:

Ceci est ma première entrée sur le site.

Mon grand oncle, le soldat 48693, Felix Sayer HOLME du 15e Bataillon (Bantams) du Cheshire Regiment, a été grièvement blessé le 19 août 1917 alors qu'il participait à l'assaut du Knoll près de Gillemont Farm, à l'est de Lempire, dans la Somme, et a succombé à ses blessures. le lendemain, 20 août 2009, à la 55ème station de dégagement de pertes à Vecquemont.

Il est enterré à Villers Faucon, à proximité.

Je suis intéressé de savoir si quelqu'un a réellement visité cette région et si le Knoll existe toujours.