Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC 3WFA

freeman4

I am trying to find out more about John Ford Hemingway, whose SWB medal index card says he was in the RAMC 3WFA. I assume that FA is Field Ambulance, but I should be very grateful if someone could explain the W.

Is there any chance of tracing where he was between his enlistment on 5 Oct 1914, and his discharge on 15 Feb 1918?

Many thanks

Looks to me as if he was 461340 John Ford Hemingway, in which case he served with the 3rd Wessex Field Ambulance. Tracing where he was would depend on whether he served with the 1/3rd Wessex Field Ambulance, who were in the 8th Division or the 2/3rd Wessex Field Ambilance, who were with the 57th Division.

I do have a 461501 Pte William C Hemingway listed, known to have served in the 1/3rd Wessex Field Ambulance. Family or coincidence, i don't know yet?

Barbara

Looks to me as if he was 461340 John Ford Hemingway, in which case he served with the 3rd Wessex Field Ambulance. Tracing where he was would depend on whether he served with the 1/3rd Wessex Field Ambulance, who were in the 8th Division or the 2/3rd Wessex Field Ambilance, who were with the 57th Division.

I do have a 461501 Pte William C Hemingway listed, known to have served in the 1/3rd Wessex Field Ambulance. Family or coincidence, i don't know yet?

Barbara

Yes, he was 461340. Thank you for explainng the W.

His service record seems to have been lost. Do you think the entry on the SWB medal index at Kew might tell me whether he was with 1/3 or 2/3?

He enlisted very early. Does that make 1/3 more likely?

John Ford had a brother Percy, but no William C.

Concerning another man, I have the handwritten diary of Thomas Davies 48751 129 Field Ambulance 38th Welsh Division, who served with my wife's grandfather. We have a transcription somewhere, which we did for publication in a local history magazine in South Wales. Would that be of interest?

As a guess, it is more likely that he served with the 2/3rd but it is impossible to say. My reasoning is because the 1/3rd Wessex, then known as the 3rd Wessex formed in 1908 so were already a unit when war was declared. They mobilized on the 4th August 1914 and went to Salisbury Plain where they joined and formed the 8th Division. The Unit arrived in France on the 8th November 1914. The 2/3rd joined the 57th Division at Maidstone on the 12th December 1915 and arrived in France on the 13th February 1917. Knowing when he arrived in a theatre of war would provide a better clue but I have looked at his MIC on Ancestry and it doesn't say.

I have looked at a few SWB medal rolls at Kew but they have not been that helpful, worth a try though. If you are there it would also be worth looking at the war diaries because I have read some that reported when their personnel were injured or went off sick. The war diary for the 1/3rd is held under reference number WO 95/1704 and the 2/3rd is under reference number WO 95/2975.

Yes I would love to read the transcription of Thomas Davies's personnel war diary. Thank you for the offer

Barbara

Hi Freeman4

I too would be interested in the Diary of Thomas Davies should you have it in electronic form to diseminate.

thanks

hywyn

Many thanks again.

Bear with me while I:

1) Find the transcript

2) Work out what the rules of the Forum require me to do in order to disseminate it.

• 1 year later...
Many thanks again.

Bear with me while I:

1) Find the transcript

2) Work out what the rules of the Forum require me to do in order to disseminate it.

Re 129 Fd Amb - my great-uncle was in A-section, so I would really appreciate seeing the dairy of Thomas Davies. My great uncle was 48810 Freddie Spiller, who thankfully survived the war.

Thanks - Richard