Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where did he fall?

Corporal Chris

My first posting so apologies if I am not up to speed on how it is done. I found this website whilst 'googling' one of my village war memorial's casualties. In compiling a booklet on the village's casualties I have accessed MIC cards from Kew, CWGC, Military Genealogy, Long Long Trail, Regimental Warpath so I have a basic idea of Who he was, which Brigade, Div.etc and where that Division fought. I wanted, now, to try and pin down where exactly the various regiments were on the day which is presumably as close as I could get to saying that this is where they were killed or wounded. I realise that a trip to Kew may be required to search unit records etc. and also visits to Regimental Museums might help but hopefully someone out there has gone down a similar route and might be able to point me in the right direction.

Many thanks.

Hi Sharpshooter. You will need to know which battalion of the regiment, the men served in. As Terry says, post the details and stand back!

Hi Sharpshooter. You will need to know which battalion of the regiment, the men served in. As Terry says, post the details and stand back!

Thanks for the postings. My men were from 24th.Heavy Baty. RGA, 2nd.Norfolks, 1st, 4th, 7th, 9th. 12th Suffolks, 5th.Ox & Bucks LI, 3rd.Bty. RFA, Lahore Div. Ammunition Column, RFA, 6th.Northants, 1st.Cambridge, 93rd.Siege Bty. RGA. 2/1 Bucks. Batt. Ox & Bucks LI, 61st.(Burman) Indian Labour Coy. Indian Labour Corps. 82nd. Bty. RFA Rifle Brigade posted to 2/10 Batt. London Regiment 29th.Batt. MGC and 87th.Punjabis (attch: 47th.Sikhs).

Look forward to hearing from anone who can help

First check the CWGC web site and SDGW list to find out if a soldier "Died of Wounds" or was KIA. The CWGC site will tell you where a soldier is buried. click on the cemetery details. This will give you a lot of details about the burials.

You need to find out which soldiers fell in action, and who did not.

Hi Sharpshooter,

I noticed on your list you have one in the Rifle Brigade posted/attached to 2/10th Londons. Do you have a name for this chap as I have a chap with the same criteria but not a casualty.

Cheers,

David

Hi Sharpshooter,

I noticed on your list you have one in the Rifle Brigade posted/attached to 2/10th Londons. Do you have a name for this chap as I have a chap with the same criteria but not a casualty.

Cheers,

David

Hello David,

My chap is 55703 Rifleman Reginald Warner DOW 26/9/18 aged 18 from my village of Earl Soham. Buried St.Sever, Rouen.

Regards,

Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

the 2nd Norfolks were in Mesopotamia for the literally the entire great war

Chris

Let me know the name and date of death of the 1/1st Cambs Rgt man & I'll let you know anything I can add, such as where killed etc.

(Note for other readers: Sharpshooter messaged me that the man was S J Hall, of Earl Soham, Suffolk).

He was No 3769 & 201198 4th Suffolk, later 1/1st Cambs. Transferred to 1/1st Cambs and wounded Aug 8/9, 1918 at Morlancourt, Somme. DoW 22-10-18. Buried Terlincthun Brit Cem, France.)

Hi Sharpshooter,

thanks for your reply. My chap is 44826 Pte Joseph H. Schilling.

Cheers,

David

Sharpshooter - I'm sure you know this, but in case not - if any of your men are officers, they will have their own files at Kew, which might contain details about the circumstances of their deaths...

Alan

Hi Sharpshooter

I have the Suffolks history, identify the men with the Suffolks and I'll see what I can do.

Regards Doug

Sharpshooter - I'm sure you know this, but in case not - if any of your men are officers, they will have their own files at Kew, which might contain details about the circumstances of their deaths...

Alan

Alan,

Thanks. All O/Rs except an Indian Army Captain and Indian Labour Corps 2nd.Lt. Will follow that up.

Sharpshooter

Hi Sharpshooter

I have the Suffolks history, identify the men with the Suffolks and I'll see what I can do.

Regards Doug

Hello Doug,

My Suffolks are:- 13408 Private ABRAM BROWN 9th.Batt. 19/4/19. 12157 Private WALTER GLASSON 7th.Batt. 12/10/16 28831 Private CHARLES WILLIAM J POTKIN 1st.Batt.4/10/16. 201231 Private WILLIAM JOHN READ 4th.Batt.18/8/16. 2nd.Lt. WILLIAM EMERSON WHYMARK 27/11/17 12th.Batt.

Thanks for your help.

Sharpshooter

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Sharpshooter

Regards Doug

Doug,

Did you have any joy on those Suffolks that I posted you? Sorry if I am being impatient!

Regards,

Chris. (Sharpshooter)

Chris

If you post the details of the Ox and Bucks man I can probably help as I have their history at home

Don't email it as my emails up tha spout at the moment

Regards John

Chris

If you post the details of the Ox and Bucks man I can probably help as I have their history at home

Don't email it as my emails up tha spout at the moment

Regards John

John,

I have two Ox & Bucks men. 32561 Private WILLIAM BROWN 5th.Ox & Bucks LI. (Previously Private 5116 Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire Regiment) KIA 3/5/17. Arras Memorial and 5358 Private FREDERICK NORMAN NEWSON 2nd/1st (Bucks Battalion) Ox & Bucks LI. Died 19/7/16. Buried Laventie Military Cemetery, La Gorgue. Both Earl Soham, Suffolk, men.

I would appreciate anything you can find.

Regards, Chris.

Apologies Chris I had completely forgotten. I will post as I find the info.

I can't help you with 13408 Private ABRAM BROWN 9th.Batt.

In the following posts I have quoted the information from The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-1927 by Murphy.

12157 Private WALTER GLASSON 7th.Batt. 12/10/16

“"On October 11 the Battalion, having being allotted its task in the battle of Transloy (already in progress) received orders to take part in an attack on Bayonet Trench and Luisenhof farm, which had been fixed for the 12th. Going in overnight, they were heavily shelled until they had occupied their assembly trenches just before dawn...the battalion set out across the open at 2pm., coming immediately under a very heavy cross-fire of every description, but mainly from machineguns and automatic rifles. Close to the German trenches the attack was held up…..and the waves unable to get any further lay down."”

On this day the battalion sustained 500 casualties all fourteen officers that went over were casualties.

Regards Doug.

Chris

Private CHARLES WILLIAM J POTKIN 1st.Batt.4/10/16.

November 1915 the Battalion land in Salonika.

Over the period of the 3rd and 4th October the battalion were involved in the 28th Divisions attempt to capture the large village of Yenikoi held by the Bulgarians. The first Battalions part in this was to capture enemy trenches a little to the north of the Salonika-Seres road..."The attack began at 5.30am by 8.30am the Battalion had established themselves. During the afternoon the enemy launched a strong counterattack...which was repulsed with heavy loss to the enemy. At 4pm the enemy subjected Yenikoi to a sudden intense bombardment forcing the Suffolk's to withdraw to their original position. At 7.30pm the 30th Brigade were ordered to retake Yenikoi, two companies of Suffolk's were to be part of this attack, in the dark one company engaged a body of Bulgarians and immediately charged with the bayonet, the company sustained several casualties but inflicted heavier losses on the enemy, their determined advance secured the flank of the 30th Brigade."”

During this period the battalion suffered 80 casulties including six officers.

Regards Doug.

Hi Sharpshooter,

Cheers,

David

Hi Chris & David

I also have a chap in the Rifle Brigade attatched to 2nd/10th Londons - S/36283 Rifleman Guy Alexander Burnside(s) (I've seen it spelt with or without the s).

I wonder if there was a group posted from the RB to the 2nd/10th Londons.

Burnside was KIA on 15 September 1918 aged 19, and is commemorated on the Vis-En-Artois memorial.

Do either of you know when your chap was posted to the Londons?

Cheers,

Carole.

Chris

Private WILLIAM JOHN READ 4th.Batt. 18/8/16.

Somme

"On August 14 the Battalion went into the front line, their left resting on the corner of High Wood,and immediately set to work digging jumping off trenches, an unpleasant task as being in No Man’s land they came in for some of our own shells as well as those of the enemy."”

August 18 they were to attack Wood Lane Trench, running across the front south eastwards from High Wood.

"neither of the battalions on the right and the left was able to make much progress. The 4th battalion, in the centre pushed forward. For a time two of our companies occupied Wood Lane Trench but being unsupported and the only officer to reach the trench killed, it was impossible to hold on."”

Regards Doug.

Chris

2nd.Lt. WILLIAM EMERSON WHYMARK 27/11/17 12th.Batt

“In mid November the division [40th] began moving towards Beaumetz to participate in the Cambrai operations, and on the 22nd relieved the 62nd Division in the freshly won line south of Bourlon Wood.

On November 23 10.30 am the 40th Division attacked Bourlon Wood and village and after four and a half hours of hard fighting, in which tanks again rendered valuable assistance to our infantry ,captured the whole of the wood and entered Bourlon Village. The troops were unable to retain their partial hold on the latter, and the next day the 121st brigade attacked it again…. At the close of another arduous day of severe and difficult fighting, in the course of which two companies of the 12th Battalion penetrated to the north of Bourlon, that virtually remained in the hands of the enemy. On the 25th the division was relieved and withdrew to the Hindenburg line, the battalion having sustained 150 casualties, including the following officers-Died of wounds: 2nd Lieut. W.E. Whymark……”

Regards Doug.

Apologies Chris I had completely forgotten. I will post as I find the info.

I can't help you with 13408 Private ABRAM BROWN 9th.Batt.

In the following posts I have quoted the information from The History of the Suffolk Regiment 1914-1927 by Murphy.

12157 Private WALTER GLASSON 7th.Batt. 12/10/16

""On October 11 the Battalion, having being allotted its task in the battle of Transloy (already in progress) received orders to take part in an attack on Bayonet Trench and Luisenhof farm, which had been fixed for the 12th. Going in overnight, they were heavily shelled until they had occupied their assembly trenches just before dawn...the battalion set out across the open at 2pm., coming immediately under a very heavy cross-fire of every description, but mainly from machineguns and automatic rifles. Close to the German trenches the attack was held up…..and the waves unable to get any further lay down.""

On this day the battalion sustained 500 casualties all fourteen officers that went over were casualties.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

Many thankk for both these postings.

Regards,

Chris.

Hi Chris & David

I also have a chap in the Rifle Brigade attatched to 2nd/10th Londons - S/36283 Rifleman Guy Alexander Burnside(s) (I've seen it spelt with or without the s).

I wonder if there was a group posted from the RB to the 2nd/10th Londons.

Burnside was KIA on 15 September 1918 aged 19, and is commemorated on the Vis-En-Artois memorial.

Do either of you know when your chap was posted to the Londons?

Cheers,

Carole.

Carole,

I haven't checked that out yet. Will let you know if I can find anything.

Regards,

Chris.