Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Peter LIGERTWOOD

Gunner Bailey

A friend has just uneathed a training book written by the then Lt Ligertwood in 1916, who died in 1917 at 3rd Ypres.

We have the War Graves information, but would be grateful for any other information about this officer.

Gunner Bailey

From the RND database on Findmypast:

First name(s): Peter

Last name: LIGERTWOOD

Number: ex-PO/14301 Sergeant RMLI

Awards: MiD

Service branch: Royal Marines

Unit: 2nd Royal Marine Battalion

Date of birth: 14 Nov 1887

Date of death: 26 Oct 1917

Cause of death: Killed in action

Service history: Enlisted Aberdeen 22/1/1906

Promoted Corporal 2/7/1910, Sergeant 20/9/14

Commissioned Lieutenant RM 18/1/16, Promoted Acting Captain 22/10/17

Portsmouth Division (at Deal) 5/12/1912-17/1/16

Served in Ireland 26/4/16-14/5/16

Draft for BEF 27/4/17, joined 1st RM Battalion 16/5/17, transferred to 2nd RM Battalion 17/5/17-5/7/17 to hospital (sick), rejoined 2nd RM Battalion 11/9/17-26/10/17 Discharged Dead

Burial: Poelcapelle British Cemetery (B 126)

Notes: In photo (third row 1st on right) of Officers of the 2nd RM Battalion mid-October 1917 (Globe & Laurel December 1917)

MiD of Sir D. Haig dated 7/11/17 (London Gazette 27/2/18 p.2585)

Officer Commanding 'C' Company 2nd RM Battalion 23/5/17

born Aberdeenshire 14/11/1887

Wife, Sarah, 16 Blake Rd., Gosport, Hants.

Married 29/12/1910

BWM & Victory Medal only.

Adrian

Adrian - That's excellent. Many thanks

GB

From the Divisonal History:

"One of the finest exploits of this second stage of the attack was the crossing of the Paddebeek by Captain Ligertwood's company of the 2nd Marines. The platoons of this company had gone into action under their own flags, strips of red canvas nailed to a stick cut from the woods where the company had done their training, solemnly blessed by the Battalion Chaplain, Father Davey, and taken into action with honour and reverence. These flags were carried through the battle. Captain Ligertwood, three times wounded, led his company to within sight of their goal, when he fell mortally wounded, to rise only once to direct his men to their objective. But on this front and at this time success was denied even to the bravest. This company, staying on their objective throughout the entire day, were powerless to lift a finger to assist the main battle still being fought on the first objective where the enemy centre held their ground."

From the Divisonal History:

"One of the finest exploits of this second stage of the attack was the crossing of the Paddebeek by Captain Ligertwood's company of the 2nd Marines. The platoons of this company had gone into action under their own flags, strips of red canvas nailed to a stick cut from the woods where the company had done their training, solemnly blessed by the Battalion Chaplain, Father Davey, and taken into action with honour and reverence. These flags were carried through the battle. Captain Ligertwood, three times wounded, led his company to within sight of their goal, when he fell mortally wounded, to rise only once to direct his men to their objective. But on this front and at this time success was denied even to the bravest. This company, staying on their objective throughout the entire day, were powerless to lift a finger to assist the main battle still being fought on the first objective where the enemy centre held their ground."

Horatio

Thanks for this. I've seen an article in the Navy News from October 2007 that mentions this. It looks like the red flags were of Ligertwood's doing and that one may still exist in the RM museum.

GB

A few more details from 'Britain's Sea Soldiers' by Gen Sir H. E. Blumberg [see page 334]

to add to those provided by H2 from Jerrold

"The orders for the 2/RMLI stated that passing through the 1/RMLI they were to attack with two companies in front, "A" on the right and "C" on the left, "B" Company in reserve and "D" company carrying; the frontage allotted was 800 yards; their greatest strength was to be opposite the concreted positions at V.28a.9.9. No one was to cross to the north side of the Lekkerboterbeek stream, but the left company was to cover that area with Lewis gun fire. ... ... ...The Battalion was directed to assemble on a line 150 yards east of Burns House - Vacher Farm Road. At 6-30 am they were to pass through 1/RMLI and form for attack behind the stationary barrage at the limit of the first objective, and move forward with the barrage at 7-36 am.

"A" and "C" companies were to drop parties to consolidate as they went forward. The Battalion duly passed though 1/RMLI but it was only on the flanks that they were able to make any headway; "A" Company gallantly led by Lieut. P. Ligertwood, who had connected his men together with spun yarn to prevent their leaving the narrow tracks through the mud, crossed the Paddebeek and made good his position there. He provided each platoon with a small red flag, which in the absence of regimental colours, had been blessed by the Battalion chaplain, and these were carried forward and served as rallying points for the platoons; three of these flags now rest at the Chatham, Portsmouth and Plymouth Divisions, the bearer of the fourth was killed and it was lost in the Flanders mud. Lieutenant (acting Captain) Ligertwood, although three times wounded, maintained his position, but when wounded for the fourth time and compelled to go to the rear, he pointed out the further objective and ordered his men to go forward; this very gallant officer died of his wounds. [footnote - Lieutenant Ligertwood, who was one of the crack shots of the Corps, was commissioned in 1916, and had proved himself a most valuable and gallant officer.]"

Michael

Thanks for that information. I think that's where much of the article in Navy News came from. The reference to him being a crack shot is interesting. As a pre war soldier he would have had all the traditional musketry training.

GB

GB,

As well as being a gallant officer he seems to have retained the very practical approach to soldiering which he must have developed as an NCO

I don't remember having come across the idea of the yarn connecting the men before

I wonder if the training book which you mention has any other unusual but practical ideas

regards

Michael

Hi Michael

The book is notes from a grenade training course and contain his notes and hand drawn and watercolour painted illustrations. He was obviously artistic and creative. Add to that brave, and you have a pretty fine man.

GB

quote: The book is notes from a grenade training course and contain his notes and hand drawn and watercolour painted illustrations. He was obviously artistic and creative. Add to that brave, and you have a pretty fine man.

GB,

What a great find!

and I certainly agree with your last.

best regards

Michael

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

nice find and nice work. I did a little on this chap some years ago, so dug out my genealogy notes. You've confirmed what i've got and added alot more, thanks.

all i can add is:

Made OC of A Co. 11/9/17, when he got back from Hospital.

Adrian has him as 'Discharged Dead', one acount says 'fell mortally wounded', while the other acount and my notes say 'Died of Wounds'. Is this just clerical error, or does it imply he survived long enough to recieve medical attention?

thanks again,

Jim.

His service records are on DocsOnline on The National Archives' website, http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...Edoc_Id=8183819 for his service in the ranks. His records as an officer ought to e in the RN officers' records, but I can't trace them currently.

His officer's service records should be in ADM 196 unfortunately; the RM records were not digitized with the rest of the series.