Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Twelve Days

Guest geoff501

Guest geoff501

Twelve Days by Sidney Rogerson has been mentioned as a favourite book several times on the forum. The original 1933 edition included eight drawings by Stanley Cursiter, one in colour.

post-4982-1209589085.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just spotted this. Thanks for posting these, Geoff. That colour pic in particular is quite atmospheric. I have the 2006 Greenhill reprint of Sidney Rogerson's Twelve Days on the Somme, which has one of Stanley Cursiter's drawings, 'Camp 34 Trones Wood' as its frontispiece, and two other caricature drawings in the text of Malcolm Brown's Introduction, though it's not clear if these are also by Cursiter. In any event Rogerson's account is one of the very best front-line memoirs of the Great War and it's been interesting to see the illustrations from the original edition in your posts.

ciao,

GAC

Agree entirely with the above and thanks for posting the pictures.

Guest geoff501
Just spotted this. Thanks for posting these, Geoff. That colour pic in particular is quite atmospheric. I have the 2006 Greenhill reprint of Sidney Rogerson's Twelve Days on the Somme, which has one of Stanley Cursiter's drawings, 'Camp 34 Trones Wood' as its frontispiece, and two other caricature drawings in the text of Malcolm Brown's Introduction, though it's not clear if these are also by Cursiter. In any event Rogerson's account is one of the very best front-line memoirs of the Great War and it's been interesting to see the illustrations from the original edition in your posts.

ciao,

GAC

A timely reminder - the book is going back to its owner this weekend so I've scanned the remaining six prints, Camp 34 Trones Wood is included. The prints are actually small cards attached to pages between the text. I agree about the book, I'm going to have to buy a reprint. This and Edwin Campion Vaughan's account are favourites.

Thought you might like to see the original dust jacket for 'Twelve Days'
post-35362-1213360908.jpg

Thought you might also like to see the jacket to Rogerson's other Great War Book 'The Last of the Ebb' You can see 100's of others like it on my website - www.greatwardustjackets.co.uk

post-35362-1213361224.jpg

Thanks for those original dustjackets images, DJC! I hadn't realised until now that Twelve Days on the Somme had originally been published simply as Twelve Days. Haven't yet read The Last of the Ebb, but hopefully this might get a reprint from Greenhill sometime too. Nice, unusual website by the way!

ciao,

GAC

Thanks for pointing that out Ali, it's one I've entirely missed. According to Amazon, Greenhill published their reprint of 'The Last of the Ebb' in June last year, a year after their 'Twelve Days' reprint. Never saw it in the shops, but then again I only ever saw one or two copies of 'Twelve Days' on the shelves.

I look forward to finally reading 'The Last of the Ebb' shortly!

51RlLaYAg4L._SS500_.jpg

ciao,

GAC