Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Robert Parry Morris MC RGA

Hywyn

Captain Robert Parry Morris, 1st 4th Welsh Siege battery was killed in action 27/10/1917.

His CWGC/ODGW entry indicates he had a Military Cross. The help I need please is finding anything in the LG re Capt Morris especially the MC citation. I believe him to be the same person as Lt Bert Morris, RGA, home on leave at Caernarfon end 1916, early 1917.

TIA

Hywyn

Kevin

Thanks for that.

I had another bash and found him in 1915 going from Pte in 13th RWf to 2nd Lt in RGA Welsh (Carnarvon) and got his MC in June 1917. I hadn't found these though so thanks for that. Not easy that LG.

I've mostly seen 1st 1st Welsh (Carnarvon) battery and don't think I've seen 1st 4th before. They were all renumbered at some stage though, the batteries that is. I'll have a further look into that.

Thanks again

hywyn

Capt. Robert Parry Morris, MC, RGA

Articled clerk to M. E. Nee of Carnarvon before the war

Enlisted as a Private in the 16th Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers on 7 December 1914

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Welch Royal Garrison Artillery on 30 January 1915

Promoted to Lieutenant, RGA TF on 1 June 1916

Appointed as an Acting Captain on 7 June 1917

Served in France, and twice wounded.

Military Cross, London Gazette of 4 June 1917 (there will be no citation as this is a Birthday Honour)

Killed in action on 27 October 1917 while serving with the 1/4 Welsh Siege Battery, RGA.

Sources: Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks 1914-1918; Officers who Died in the Service of the British, Indian and East African Regiments and Corps 1914-1919;various Army Lists.

Regards. Dick Flory

Great stuff Dick, thanks a lot. For some reason known to them at the time he is not on the local Memorial.

There was no mention of the citation for the MC in the LG 4 June 1917. Just a list of names.

Thanks again

hywyn

• 3 years later...

Great stuff Dick, thanks a lot. For some reason known to them at the time he is not on the local Memorial.

There was no mention of the citation for the MC in the LG 4 June 1917. Just a list of names.

Thanks again

hywyn

Hello again

Many thanks to all of you for uncovering some fascinating detail concerning my Great Uncle Capt R.P.Morris. You definitely have your man. He was known as "Bertie" by his brothers and was a trainee solicitor at the time of enlistment. He lived at "Glenerict" Church St, Caernarfon. Do I understand that if his MC was a Birthday Honour then it was not for anything specific?

I also remember no mention on the Caeathraw War Memorial altho' there is a small inscription on the grave of his parents, along with C.R.Morris at the Llanbeblig Cemetery.

Many thanks

Will

post-87057-0-47157700-1327138937.jpg

Will,

You may like to know your ancestor is recorded in the official war diary of 1/1 Welsh on several occasions.

12.1.1917. 2/Lt Morris promoted Lieut vide LG of 10.1.1917 with effect from 7.9.1916

31.1.1917. Lt Morris admitted to hospital “gassed” slightly wounded.

21.4.1917. Lt R Parry-Morris rejoined battery from hospital.

5.6.1917. Lt R Parry-Morris awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous services.

25.9.1917. Capt R P Morris and 3 OR’s presented with ribbons of decorations by GOC.I .Corps.

The pages / entries for October 1917 are missing from the war diary.

Rgds

Paul

Will,

You may like to know your ancestor is recorded in the official war diary of 1/1 Welsh on several occasions.

12.1.1917. 2/Lt Morris promoted Lieut vide LG of 10.1.1917 with effect from 7.9.1916

31.1.1917. Lt Morris admitted to hospital “gassed” slightly wounded.

21.4.1917. Lt R Parry-Morris rejoined battery from hospital.

5.6.1917. Lt R Parry-Morris awarded the Military Cross for conspicuous services.

25.9.1917. Capt R P Morris and 3 OR’s presented with ribbons of decorations by GOC.I .Corps.

The pages / entries for October 1917 are missing from the war diary.

Rgds

Paul

Paul,

Many thanks. I've only been a member for 3 days and already amazed and very grateful for so much information on my Great Uncles and Grandpa.

Best wishes

Will

post-87057-0-57792700-1327260045.jpg

Hello Dick

I can see from your research that Capt RPMorris is listed as having been wounded twice. From information received from Hywyn and ororkep, taken from War Diaries, I see him as wounded (gassed) on one occasion - 31/1/17. I wonder if you would be able to tell me if there is more information regarding the second incident?

Many thanks

Will

Capt. Robert Parry Morris, MC, RGA

Articled clerk to M. E. Nee of Carnarvon before the war

Enlisted as a Private in the 16th Battalion, Royal Welch Fusiliers on 7 December 1914

Commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Welch Royal Garrison Artillery on 30 January 1915

Promoted to Lieutenant, RGA TF on 1 June 1916

Appointed as an Acting Captain on 7 June 1917

Served in France, and twice wounded.

Military Cross, London Gazette of 4 June 1917 (there will be no citation as this is a Birthday Honour)

Killed in action on 27 October 1917 while serving with the 1/4 Welsh Siege Battery, RGA.

Sources: Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks 1914-1918; Officers who Died in the Service of the British, Indian and East African Regiments and Corps 1914-1919;various Army Lists.

Regards. Dick Flory

The information that he was wounded twice came from the Record of Service of Solicitors and Articled Clerks 1914-1918. I don't have any further information on his wounds. Regards, Dick Flory

• 3 years later...

Hello Will

saw the photograph of Capt RP Morris. Do you know when this was taken and if by any chance Herbert John Parker is one of the officers shown

regards

David

Hello Will

saw the photograph of Capt RP Morris. Do you know when this was taken and if by any chance Herbert John Parker is one of the officers shown

regards

David

David

Sorry, I didn't see your post here. I can't be positive that he is here, but after a good attempt to date the photo my matching insignia, wounds stripes etc against dates I believe him to be the shorter chap at the back. Frustratingly, I cannot prove it.

• 8 years later...

I realise that this is quite an old discussion, but if it is still a valid subject, I have just found my Grandfathers diary that describes the circumstances of the death of Capt Robert Parry Morris MC

Rod King

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. @Hywyn  and @m0rris are still active on the forum.

36 minutes ago, Rod King said:

I realise that this is quite an old discussion, but if it is still a valid subject, I have just found my Grandfathers diary that describes the circumstances of the death of Capt Robert Parry Morris MC

Rod King

Yes indeed, welcome.

I'm sure that many members would be interested in reading what the diary contains.

Are you able to transcribe the relevant part of the diaries so that we can learn more?

Hello Rod - I can't begin to say how fascinating that is to hear. I have read two accounts - one by Llewelyn Edwards and William T Manns (in the IWM) which have given me an extraordinary insight into what happened on the fateful day that he and the 1/1st first arrived at Zillebeke. Capt RPM certainly made his mark on the world in his short life, leaving quite a paper trail but nothing has topped the memoirs of others in building a remarkable picture of a brave and much admired young man. I'd be bowled over if you can share with us. Many thanks - Will.

On 21/01/2012 at 09:47, m0rris said:

Do I understand that if his MC was a Birthday Honour then it was not for anything specific?

As his MC has no citation it was for 'Meritorious Service' over an extended period, rather than for an act of gallantry. Such awards were often for 'acting up' responsibility wise, e.g. due to the absence of someone to fill the responsibilities of the rank above. The fact that he was made 'acting Captain' a few days after the MC was listed in the LG may mean that he had already been 'standing in' for some time? As was already said, he achieved a lot in a short time:  image.png.44ed8b166163d5e5d510684419109244.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson
Additional Info

Thanks Ivor. That’s a valuable insight as shortly after RPM received his MC in June '17, second in command Capt Arnold Dargie was promoted to Major in order to take over the 137th HB. RP Morris would have moved up to fill the vacancy. The same summer, the battery went from 4 to 6 guns with an additional 83 men.

At the time of his death he was in command of the 1/1st as Major George Brymer was home on leave to get married. 2nd Lieut Herbert Parker was killed along side him and 2nd Lieut Dixon was seriously wounded.