Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help identify uniform and medals

ceebee

I have been told the chap in the photo, which was taken in the early 1920s, is of Czech origin, possibly from Bohemia.

I’m not entirely sure about the uniform, but based on information given to me about the man’s background, I went through Alec Purves’s The Medals Decorations and Orders of the Great War in search of Czechoslovakian and other national medals.

Looking at the photo, the medals from left to right could be – Czech Victory Medal, French Croix de Guerre, Czech Medal of the Revolution, can’t pick it, Czech War Cross.

Whilst it’s difficult to see on the scanned image, using a magnifying glass it does seem that the cross is a Croix de Guerre. The ribbon appears to have stripes like those used for the Croix de Guerre. Also, the Medal of the Revolution seems to have a bar and the Croix de Guerre appears to have a palme.

Purves says that bars were fixed by sprigs on the ribbon of the Medal of the Revolution for various actions. He notes bars for those serving with the French in Alsace, Argonne, Peronne and L.E. (Foreign Legion).

Could the uniform be French? The number 21 is visible on the collar. Is this a regimental number? The cap badge is impossible to see clearly. There are four chevrons on the left upper sleeve and two stripes on the right forearm sleeve. Do these signify years of service and/or wounds received?

Any thoughts, confirmations and additional information would be appreciated.

Chris

post-5991-1206269238.jpg

The hat badge looks like it may well be the Czech badge worn by the Czech Legions in WW1

If he served in France, then he would have worn a uniform of the French Military. Attached is an image of the Czech cap badge.

post-6040-1206271258.jpg

Hallo ceebee, :D

A close up of the medals would be a great help if possible, until then I would hazard a guess

at:

post-18479-1206289910.jpg

1. Czechoslovakian Inter-Allied Victory Medal.

Awarded to all who served during WWI. The obverse of this bronze medal has the customary winged Victory with raised arms, holding an olive branch and a sword point downwards. The reverse shows a shield with the crowned rampant double-tailed lion of Bohemia with the arms of Silesia on its chest. To both sides of the shield are ribbons bearing the dates 1914 and 1919 while the shield is surrounded by small linden leaves. The reverse's edge bears a circle with the legend "SVETOVA VALKA ZA CIVILISACI" (the world war for civilization).

2. France Croix de Guerre. (self explanatory).

post-18479-1206290144.jpg

3. Medal of the Revolution -- Awarded to all volunteers of the Czechoslovak Army who enlisted before the proclamation of the Provisional Government in Paris and to others who had rendered military or political services towards the independence of Czechoslovakia.

The bronze medal was instituted by the Provisional Government in Paris on 1 July 1918 and consists of a cross lying on a broad circle. On the obverse cross stands a winged horse with a nude horseman holding a flag. On the riband between the cross arms is the legend "VZHURU NA STRAZ SVOBODNY NA'BODE" (keep good watch, free nations).

The reverse has a winged female figure holding a stone block over her head, while at her feet are snakes. On the stone is the text "ZA ZVOBODY" (for liberty).

A number of emblems are related to this medal : silver bars for actions and smaller bars indicating the recipient's regiment. Unit Citation emblems are also in evidence.

Among the action bars are, for Czechs fighting in France : Alsace, Argonne, Peronne and L.E. (Légion EtrangËre - the Foreign Legion), for actions in Russia : Zhorov, Bachmac, Sibir (Siberia) and C.D. (Czech Brigade) and for actions in Italy : Doss'Alto and Piave.

4. Unknown due to poor definition.

post-18479-1206290265.jpg

5. Czechoslovak War Cross from WWI.

War Cross. Awarded for individual acts of military valour between 27 July 1914 and 28 October 1918 (later extended to include actions in 1919 against Poland and against Hungary).

This bronze medal was instituted on 7 November 1918 and is formed by four overlapping circles. The obverse has in the upper circle the climbing, double-tailed lion of Bohemia, in the left circle the chequered eagle of Moravia, in the right circle the Silesian eagle and in the lower circle three mountains and the double-barred cross of Slovakia. The reverse has the intertwined letters CS (Czechoslovakia) on a background of linden leaves. Functioning somewhat like the French Croix de Guerre, a number of emblems could be attached to the ribbon :

* For a unit citation in an Army Order, a spray of linden leaves

* For a unit citation in a Divisional Order, a single linden leaf

* For an individual citation in an Army Order, a silver star

* For an individual citation in a Divisional Order a bronze star.

I hope this is of some help, Connaught Stranger :D

Hello Grantsmil and Connaught Stranger

Many thanks for your information.

The hat badge is a definite match, at least in shape, with the one on the photo.

I've tried to do a close up of the medals (see below). If you click onto the image and enlarge it, a bit more detail can be seen. Unfortunately, there is still too much blur to see the medals clearly.

Since my first post I've done some more research. The number 21 on the collar could refer to the 21st Czechoslovak Rifle Regiment, which was formed on 12 January 1918 in the town of Cognac. This Regiment fought as part of the French 53rd Infantry Division. Some time in 1918, a Czechoslovak brigade, under the command of the French general Philippe, consisting of the 21st and 22nd Rifle Regiments, was formed in France, and saw combat near Vouziers. (source Wikepedia)

If the chevrons represent years of service the man in the photo served from the early years of the war, possibly in the French Foreign Legion. At the moment this is speculation on my part.

I came across a photo in the Prague Post showing the Czech Legion under inspection. The caption reads: T.G. Masaryk, above centre, inspects the Czecho-Slovak Legion commanded by French General Janin, right, in 1918. The caps and uniform appear to match those of man in the photo. However, I wonder whether my man was an officer.

Any further help with the uniform , medals and Czech Legion in France would be appreciated.

Chris

post-5991-1206345637.jpg

post-5991-1206345660.jpg