Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weeping Cross

YvanFrance

Hello from France,

i need to find somebody near,

Pietermaritzburg Midlands, South Africa,

i will prepare something special about the Delville Wood, Longueval, Somme, France

and i hope that somebody can help me to complete the view.

(Sorry, i don't speak English)

Please, Is there somebody ?

Yvan

http://www.encounter.co.za/article/31.html

I have a correspondant in South Africa who may be able to help. I will PM you his email address.

\Spoons

Dear spoons,

Thank you for help, i hope we will discover the "Garden of Remembrance" and the "Weeping Cross", in 360° panoramic view

Amicalement

Yvan

Hello Yvan.

I live in Durban. I am familiar with the weeping cross. Can I help?

The place is "under the control" of the MOTHs, which is an ex-servicemens organisation and is an acronym for "Memorable Order of Tin Hats". I could ask them to help you or give you their contact details.

Regards

Graeme Beckett

• 3 months later...
. . . Merci beaucoup.

Yvan

Yvan

A very worthwhile project - my own merci beaucoup.

I am in Johannesburg and will contact some esteemed historians for more information if you would like.

Carl

• 2 months later...

Dear Carl,

I've asked one of my colleagues who works on the todayisfree project to help as my English isn't good enough to answer you properly!

Firstly I really wanted to thank you for the photographs, I live in a village situated close to Delville Wood, I'm very passionate about 1st World War history, the Battle of the Somme in particular. I find the history of Delville Wood, the South Africans' participation and of course the story of the weeping cross extrememly interesting. To be able to see a photo of this cross is just wonderful. I'd really like to thank you for taking the time to send these photos.

My only regret is that I am not able to visit the cross and the Garden of Remembrance in person or take a panoramic photo of the garden!

And I just want to add as I'm making use of my 'English helper' that I'd like to thank everyone who helps with the todayisfree project.

Thank you again, Yvanfrance

. . . a photo of the "Weeping Cross".

Scooter

A high resolution image of the full cross without the South African lace curtain would be nice.

Carl

Hi Carl

The Cross will be opened again on 9 November for the Remembrance Day Parade. Will you be able to wait until then. We have locked the garden to the public due to vandalism and theft. In the past 10 years that I have been on parade for Delville Wood the cross has never failed to weep for the occasion. People say it has to do with climate and moisture levels but I like to think it just weeps for Delville Wood

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...