Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika

Martin Bennitt

I've just finished Alan Palmer's 'The Gardeners of Salonika', which I came across in a library, having known of it as a classic but never found.

I thought it an excellent account of events in a theatre I knew practically nothing about, but it was written in 1965, so I was wondering if there was anything more recent, or indeed anything else at all about this almost forgotten campaign. I assume there are also books in French which I will have to hunt down.

Eagerly awaiting your recommendations.

thanks and cheers Martin B

Have you read 'Under the Devil's Eye,' it is written by a couple of the members of this site I think? I had the book but don't know where it is at the moment and I've not had the time to read it as my mother is terminally ill. My Grandad was with the Surrey Yeomanry in Salonika in WWI. You can find it on Amazon I think.

Regards

Claire

I have read both 'Gardeners' and 'Under the Devils Eye'. I found Under the Devils Eye much more user friendly. You can revisit sections easily as it is not just chronologically written but sectionally as well. If that makes sense. (I am awaiting the new book on Mespot from Wakefield and Moody.)

You may find it very difficult to get a copy however, they fetch a tidy price. I think Alan went round buying up the copies to push the collectability factor up!

Seriously though if you have not come across this book then try really hard to do so. it is well worth the read.

There are other books, try searching the Salonika Campaign Society website they have a list of good books to read. I have to say I think the above two are the best to my knowledge.

regards

Arm

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll start looking along those lines

cheers Martin B

Gardners, Under the Devils Eye and the Official History (two volumes) are probably the best place to start.

Salonika & After (Collinson Owen) and (too a lesser degree) Price's Our Salonika Army can prove interesting.

Mather's "Muckydonia" is an interesting personal account by a member of a pioneer battalion who served through the campaign.

Yes, tis true, Alan snapped up the last few copies of the book that were available on the open market. I don't believe there are any planns at present for a paperback reissue.

"Long Un" A Damn Bad Soldier....A Journey from England to Jerusalem,Via VimyRidge,Salonica,and Gaza.Also you can Google the Salonika Society.

Martin

At present 'Under the Devil's Eye' has been put forward by the publishers (new company: The History Press) for either reprint or paperback edition. Simon Moody and I are pushing this hard - along with trying to get agreement over our Mesopotamia book. As The History Press appear to move slower than a WWI tank in Flanders, we would appreciate it if interested parties could bombard the company with requests to get things rolling, as they may well finally realise there is a market for both books and then pulkl their fingers out! Contact details fior the publisher are: customers@thehistorypress.co.uk

Thanks

ALAN

I'm extremely interested in the German machine gun units that were assigned to this front. They are especially interesting because they wore a different kind of spiked helmet -- the scroll helmet. Almost nothing is documented on these and information about the GMGA units or their involvement order order of battle seems to be very very difficult to find. Here is our article: http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Scroll_helmets.html If anyone has any information about these I would be grateful. Thanks in advance.

closeup228.jpg