Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GREATER LOVE

SMG65

This book has just been published by the Reverend David Youngson and is a 'Directory of Chaplains of the British Army, Australian, Canadian, East African, New Zealand and South African Forces and Ministers of Religion, who gave their lives in the period 1914-1922'

A well written and superbly presented book, it gives a pen picture of each of the 172 Chaplains who died between 1914-1922, with some photographs. The indexes at the back are second to none and include Indexes of Denominations, Location of Cemeteries and Academic Institutions attended.

A must for all researchers.

Sean

Hi Sean

Can you tell me what the criteria was for inclusion in the book. I have been researching a Chaplain Rev Ussher Greer, Church orf Ireland, from the 8th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, 36th Ulster Division, who died whilst home on leave from Ballykinlar Army Camp in 1915. I was just wondering is he mentioned in the book, as he never made it out to France.

Thanks, Tommy.

Tommy

Yes, he is in the book.

It includes all Chaplains who died, regardless of where they served.

The entry for The Revd Ussher Greer says that he died of a brain hemorrhage and was buried with full military honours. It states that 'The clerical information is from Crockfords Clerical Directory of 1914 and is somewhat different to that whcih appears on a website'.

Sean

Charles Disney Woodhouse is in with a photograph.

He was attached to 12 Batt, Royal Sussexs and died in France on 6 October 1916, aged 32 years.

Sean

David

Yes, there is a piece on him.

Revd Eric Oswald Read, attached 5th Dorsets, KIA 3 October 1918, aged 30 years.

Sean

For those interested the ISBN for the book is 1 872239 53 6 and it is printed by Atkinson Print.

Sean

Sean,

Many thanks for getting in touch.

I've tried the ISBN on Blackwells and can't make it work. Atkinson's website doesn't show it. Where did you come across it?

What sort of thing does it say about Eric? Is there a large article or chapter or is it just a page?

With best wishes,

David

There isn't a great deal abour Revd Read, about 10 lines.

He as the son of George O and Dora Read, born in Thetford and studied at Corpus Christie, Cambridge.

Married to Alice Rad of Gorsefield, Giles lane, Canterbury. He is buried in Chapel Corner Cemetery, Sauchy-Lestree and remembered on Aldershot Memorial.

I know David Youngson through the WFA and he would have no problems with you e-mailing him on:

[Do not post personal email addresses - Terry Denham]

He is a remarkable man - served in the Merchant Navy and RAF, had a successful business career and then trained for the priesthood at Oxford. He was registered blind in 1986 and does a lot of work for the visually impaired.

Sean

Charles Disney Woodhouse is in with a photograph.

He was attached to 12 Batt, Royal Sussexs and died in France on 6 October 1916, aged 32 years.

Sean

Hi Sean, thanks for the reply, any chance of a copy of the entry with the photo?

cheers, Jon

Sean

Would you mind looking in the index for Rev John Chevallier 1889 - 1917 who is listed on the War Memorial at Great Horwood, Bucks. I can't find anything else about him at all, so any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

June

Sean,

Many thanks for trying to get an email address to me. I have sent you a PM about this.

With best wishes,

David

Sean

Thanks for the confirmation re the entry for The Revd Ussher Greer. My info also confirms he died of a brain hemorrhage and was buried with full military honours. He was the rector of the parish church where I live and last year I was priviledged to meet his grandson. I will pass on the details re the book to him. Interesting comment abour 'The clerical information is from Crockfords Clerical Directory of 1914 and is somewhat different to that which appears on a website' - wonder what website it is. I have already added the book to my wants list

Thanks again, regards, Tommy.

As another member of David's local WFA branch who purchased a copy of this book, I must also highly recommend it, a fascinating read, well researched and well presented.

Is there by any chance any information on the Revd George Southey Pardoe, Curate of All Saints, South Acton (1903-1907) and Vicar of Muncaster (1907-1918) ?

He was commissioned as a Temporary Chaplain to the Forces, 4th class, Army Chaplains’ Department and reported for duty at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley on 10 April 1917. He was thereafter posted to the Egyptian Expeditionary Force and served on operations in Palestine, on attachment to the 74th Casualty Clearing Station, under the 34th Combined Clearing Hospital, Jerusalem.

He was reported to be dangerously ill with cerebral haemorrhage on 12 October 1918, and died at the 34th Combined Clearing Hospital, Jerusalem on 15 October 1918.

William

Interesting Sean,

I seem to remember a story of a chaplain attached to the Tyneside Irish being killed or wounded in early 1917 before Arras?

Anything?

Thanks.

Dave.

Hello Sean,

Does this work only cover Anglican Chaplains, or does it mention those who served with the Free Churches - Baptist, Methodist, Wesleyan?

Regards,

Peter G

Hi Sean, thanks for the reply, any chance of a copy of the entry with the photo?

cheers, Jon

Jon

Sorry, my computer is steam driven until I replace it in May.

I also think that with it being a new book, there may be some copyright issues.

Sean

Is there by any chance any information on the Revd George Southey Pardoe, Curate of All Saints, South Acton (1903-1907) and Vicar of Muncaster (1907-1918) ?

He was commissioned as a Temporary Chaplain to the Forces, 4th class, Army Chaplains’ Department and reported for duty at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley on 10 April 1917. He was thereafter posted to the Egyptian Expeditionary Force and served on operations in Palestine, on attachment to the 74th Casualty Clearing Station, under the 34th Combined Clearing Hospital, Jerusalem.

He was reported to be dangerously ill with cerebral haemorrhage on 12 October 1918, and died at the 34th Combined Clearing Hospital, Jerusalem on 15 October 1918.

William

William

In addition to what you have:

Son of George 7 Letitia Pardoe of Shropshire, husband of Gertrude Pardoe of Southcote, Baldock. Made a Deacon in 1904 and Ordained Priest in 1905. He was Chaplain to Lord Muncaster whilst vicar of Muncaster. He was 41 when he died and is buried in Jerusalem. He is remembered on the Aldershot Memorial.

Sean

Hello Sean,

Does this work only cover Anglican Chaplains, or does it mention those who served with the Free Churches - Baptist, Methodist, Wesleyan?

Regards,

Peter G

Peter

It covers all denominations.

Sean

My copy (straight from the author) arrived today. It is numbered 84/100 so those that want to purchase a copy may need to act quickly as this suggests a very limited print run.

Regards,

Jonathan S

He is remembered on the Aldershot Memorial

Thanks Sean - much appreciated.

I think that there are 500 printed with a re run planned.

Sean