Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discharge certificate

chrisharley9

Discharge20Certificate.jpg

Please

can anyone identify this certificate - obviously offical, but does it go with a SWB

Chris

I think I saw a naval one once and the chap didnt get a SWB

Aye, that's the SWB "King's Certificate" Army type. Navy was slightly different. I have scan copies of both types. Someone coloured it in? Where are the man's details?

A picture of the certificate as it is normally found is attached with the details completed. In this case Captain H.Bescoby 5th Kings Liverpools. Invalided from service 11th February 1919.

As the details were completed in ink,they do tend to fade over time especially if they have been exposed to sunlight.

P.B.

post-63-1199196660.jpg

You usually find these coincide with SWB but not always as men could be discharged "Invalided" without claiming the Badge,the example has been Coloured {This Certificate;or a similarlarly coloured one was posted on this site about Two years hence}

The Certificate actually awarded with the SWB is a small White Card {about Postcard size} that has the recipients discharge details & Badge number on it.

I have seen a number of these Army certificates over the years, and one or two Naval ones.

There was also an Air Force version - in a blue/grey colour scheme I think - which I've only seen once, about 1980 when I was invited to meet a neighbour of my in-laws. He was ex-RFC, proudly wearing their tie, and moreover had earned the 1914 Star with them. He tried to explain why he'd been discharged, and it seemed to be the result of a (?premature) bomb explosion which may have caused some sort of shell-shock.

LST_164

Curiously, the coloured one isn't quite the same as the uncoloured one - whilst the first line is the same in both, the second line in the coloured one is "Honourably discharged or", and in the uncoloured one "Invalided from the Service" :huh:

Thankyou everyone for the info - this has answered all my questions

Chris

Curiously, the coloured one isn't quite the same as the uncoloured one - whilst the first line is the same in both, the second line in the coloured one is "Honourably discharged or", and in the uncoloured one "Invalided from the Service" :huh:

The officer version carried 'Invalided from the Service' whilst 'other ranks' were 'Honourably Discharged'.

Ed

Thanks very much Ed

Chris

Slightly off the topic, but what is the artist's signature which is evident on the illustrations given in two threads, below the feet of the nearer Tommy? It is too small to decipher.

Daggers

I am embarrassed to admit it , but I had not noticed the difference in the wording of the army certificates between officers and other ranks before.

P.B.

post-63-1199292541.jpg

The officer version carried 'Invalided from the Service' whilst 'other ranks' were 'Honourably Discharged'.

Ed

Fascinating, never knew that, thanks!

Out of interest, Bernard Partridge worked for Punch Magazine, and became its chief illustrator in 1901. He was knighted in 1925.

With regards to officers, those who had completed their contracted service during the war were also entitled to the badge whether or not they received any wounds or injuries, hence the difference in certificates.

Terry Reeves

Can any Forum member through light on my father's discharge certificate.

The illustration by a Bernard Partridge. Is the certificate an official army issue, or a commercial printing purchased by the individual soldier.

My father's service number is given as 336023, regiment Royal Munster Fusiliers.

However his RMF service number was 9600. Regiment is correct. (1st Bn.)

336023 was his Labour Corps. number.

post-148-1199298924.jpg

Sullivan.

[/color]This post has been merged from the "Other" section.