Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ireland: Remembering The War Dead

Desmond7

Having met Prof. D'Arcy for a brief period during a conference in Dublin, I was delighted to receive a copy of this major historical work.

The first thing which struck me was the opaque cover. Seemed strange to me ... but (and I do not know if this was the book designer's intention) the cover is almost a metaphor for the attitude towards memorials to the war dead on Irish soil.

For too long the subject was shrouded in the fog and mist of Irish politics. This book sets out to tell the story of the various memorials and the political mechanics of remembering in the Republic of Ireland.

It features some superb photography but, more importantly, records the negotiations between all the parties with an input into the conservation and maintenance of war memorials in the south.

I strongly recommend this publication to members of the forum who have a specific interest in Ireland but it is also a very useful and readable volume for anyone with even a passing interest in the subject.

You can view the book and find out more at this link.

http://www.fergusdarcy.com/remembering-the-war-dead/

Just re-titled this in case any of the irish members missed it.

Thanks for this review Des - I'm really intrigued by this book now. Does anyone know if it is available in Northern Ireland - and if so, where? I'd like a copy but I won't be in the Republic any time soon and, given that its retail price is 22 euro, I resent paying £23.99 sterling for it which is what Amazon are asking.

Or does OPW in Dublin have a mail order service? I couldn't see anything about it on their website.

Swizz

Swizz, the OPW sell books through the Government publications Office

You can order from them at:

Government Publications Postal Trade Section

51 St. Stephen’s Green

Dublin 2

Tel: (+ 353 1) 6476623 or 6476624 or

(+ 353 1) 6476834/35/36/37

Fax (+ 353 1) 475 2760

As far as I know they don't do online sales

Regards

Isadore

Many thanks Isadore, I will look into that if I can't get hold of a copy when I'm at home. I just don't want to be ripped off by Amazon (I sustain their profit margin enough as it is!)

Swizz

• 5 months later...

For anyone interested this book is currently available at the Queens University Bookshop @ £16.99 and is well worth the money, even for some of the superb colour photographs alone. A "must have" book for those interested in the topic of Commemoration in Ireland, may be of some use to those following the "Died in Ireland" thread.

Tommy.