Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Service Badge

Peter Woodger

The object shown has lived for years in a tin that belonged to my Father in Law. Many momentos of his life lived there including the unopened envelope containing his Victory and SWM. He was Driver 1006 F G Andrews RA. He was serving when he married in March 1916 and was stationed at Rolleston Camp. The triangular medallion has the date 1916 under the crown and on the reverse there is the manufacturer’s name J R Gaunt & Son Ltd London and the stamped number 427962. I do not know the significance of this to him but if anyone can tell me what it is I would be grateful.

Peter

post-14342-1197806732.jpg

Peter - it's an On War Service brooch given to women working on essential war work, such as munitions workers. It'll have a pin fastening on the back to be worn on a lady's coat.

Tom

Thanks for that Tom. Is there any way of finding out if the worker was his wife. She lived in Worcester and the Porcelain factory was on War work.

Peter

Peter,

This is the 1916 On War Sevice Badge and was worn by women engaged on war work at home, particularly munitions work. The 1916 triangular badge was issued exclusively to women. More about these badges can be found in the munitions file at the National Archives under MUN5, a list of firms issued with the badge is contained in the file but no list of recipients.

Andy

Thank you all for your help. Dad's first wife died in the 1930s and the dragon, My wife's late mother, tried to destroy all evidence of her predecessor. Dad mamaged to keep the badge from her !.

Peter