Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Drummer Walter Ritchie VC

Hans Molier

Drummer Ritchie VC recieved a Victoria Cross for repeatedly sounding the 'Charge' on top of a German trench. But did he do this on the drums or on a bugel ?

I ask this question because I've read on page 97 in 'The Somme' from Peter Barton (Dutch version) that he played this 'Charge' on a bugel. But he was a drummer, or not ?

Also in 'VC's of the First World War-the Somme' I've found the following information at page 24 : ""The bugle that he sounded 'the Charge' with is now at the Queens Own Highlanders Museum." So, did he play the drums or the bugle during his VC-action ? And if it was the bugle, why he is shown on all the pictures playing the drums ?

Drums were not carried into action (they probably didn't even make it to the front line). Orders were conveyed by bugle.

Oké Michael, thank you but why he is always shown on pictures playing the drums during his VC-action ?

I think it's called "artistic licence". To an artist who isn't a military historian (and doesn't bother to do his/her research) it would seem logical that a Drummer would play drums, not a bugle.

'Drummer' is the title of the post, 16 to a battalion, comprising the Corps of Drums under a sergeant drummer..

Each was required to be competent on drum, bugle [NOT TRUMPET] and fife.

A drummer in formal dress will carry either drum AND bugle, or flute AND bugle.

The exception is light infantry and Rifles, where the man is a bugler, and carries bugle only, and the only men to play the drum are bandsmen in the military band.

Grumpy,

I don't think Drummer Ritchie would be competent on the fife ;)

Aye

Tom McC

Why wouldn't he?

Mick

Tom, thanks.

I will add that to my list of information to spout during these long evenings (alongside reason for flying Lion Rampant instead of Saltire). :lol:

Mick

So we can conclude Ritchie VC was playing on a bugle during his VC-action, although there isn't any picture/painting where this can be seen on ?

Grumpy,

Thought I would put this in here for you as a fellow aficionado of military minutiae. The HLI were not as conformist as people would expect when it came to Light Infantry matters such as buglers and drummers. Remembering that the 74th were not a Light Infantry regiment before the Cardwell/Childers reforms of 1881. In a way, as you will see, the proverbial mountain came to the prophet:

From: The Highland Light Infantry - The uniforms of the Regiment 1881 to 1914 by James B McKay & Douglas N Anderson

A curious disparity which existed between the two battalions was ended with the introduction of drums in the 1st Bn. Previously, in line with Light Infantry tradition, there had been no place for drums in the 71st after their replacement by bugles, (with the exception of the bass and one or two side drums in the Military Band). This custom long outlived practicality and theoretically should also have taken affect in the 74th when it assumed Light Infantry identity in 1881. In practice however, although the 74th instituted a Corps of Bugles it kept its drums and while drummers continued to feature in Company Pay Rolls, they were referred to in orders as "Buglers" and wore bugle badges on the right sleeve. In the case of the 1st Bn it is more remarkable that it took so long to introduce drums than it did so at all. The concerted playing of pipers and drummers was now over half a century old and "Pipe Bands", military and civilian were immensely popular. The swallowing, therefore, of Light Infantry scruples can only have been for reasons of prestige and conformity - rare concessions in the 71st. Oddly enough and counter to expectation, it was the drummers of the 1st Bn who wore embroidered drum badges whilst the 2nd retained the bugle badge.

With this latter difference the orders of dress were the same in both battalions and figure 26 shows a Drummer of the 2nd Bn, in Review Order, 1900-1914. He wears the rank and file shako, red doublet (laced and looped as for figure 17), trews and polished boots. A dirk is carried on the right hip and the bugle on green cords is slung behind. The drum belt is buff leather with a brass buckle.

Hope this has been of interest to those that enjoy the small details of Regimental distinction & dress.

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1195227999.jpg

Many thanks for bringing this to the surface: I have the book but last read it 20 years ago and had quite forgotten these quirks: of which the old army abounded and which made it such a fascinating study.

And still does!

Hans,

Soldiers, especially regular soldiers would be familiar with bugle calls. To remember what each call meant, they would use accompanying words, such as Fall In: ‘Fall in A, fall in B, fall in every Company!’

The charge is referred to during the Assault and Pursuit in: Infantry Training (4 Company Organization) 1914, Section 124, paragraph 3. ‘…the call will at once be taken up by all buglers’.

Hope this helps

Aye

Tom McC

post-10175-1195231148.jpg

I might add that many of the 'words' were scatalogical. I have several lengthy summaries, intended for buglers/ drummers to assist them, one is indeed demi-official.

And the cavalry had "doggerel" for their trumpet calls as well; sometimes "adapted" for the calls of other regiments they were stationed with and who sounded first due to regimental"seniority" as the Infantry would do as well.

I see another elephant has arrived.