Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help With Medal Index Card Info

CABRIT

post-26606-1193947189.jpg

I THINK this is my grandad. I have eleminated all others at this point but have some questions regarding the card info:

1) It lists (a) Badge and (B) Medal. I know he received the British & Victory medals and perhaps the star (but memory is fading on that one). Never saw a badge.

2) Under Corps I know wgat RGA is but what is the 49???

3) Cause of discharge is no longer fit for service. I know he received 3 schrapnel wounds (I think at the Somme) but did not think they would have been sufficient to prevent further service after recovery?

4) Action taken is signed the same name as the cause of discharge what does the 299 mean?

5) Do the small printed numbers at the bottom of the page mean anything?

I appreciate any help on this,

Ian.

Ian,

299 is the SWB reference (it says list). That number suggests he served in 49 Company RGA, and enlisted in Nov 1915, and was discharged in Aug 1917 due to Para 392 xvi (sickness). He is listed as not serving overseas. if you know your GD had a B&V then this is unlikely to be him!

Regards Paul

Ian.

1. The Badge referred to is the Silver War Badge.

2. It looks like 49 Coy (company), which was based in Queenstown Harbour in Ireland in 1914.

3. He may have been snt for home service after being wounded, and later discharged after his hea;lth deteriorated further. Shrapnel wounds could easily break a leg, for instance.

4. Not sure, but it might be the page number in the RGA medal roll.

5. These just indicate the name (or initials) of the firm who printed the form, when it was printed and similar information. These details appear on virtually every printed Army Form and Army Book.

Ron

This is not good news as no other Arthur Hoyland or A. Hoyland in the index cards fits the bill! Now I don't know where to go.

I know grandad was if France and at the Somme, where he was wounded. He told me he was in the artillery and I have his spurs (French from a dead soldier. They are nickel and nicer than the standard British issue) and his horses bit (taken from the horse of the 2nd, ot 3rd major who was killed at the head of their column. The British & Victory medals we no longer have but they were in my possesion for many years.

Thanks for your comments Paul any advice on where to go from here!!!

Ian

Ian,

299 is the SWB reference (it says list). That number suggests he served in 49 Company RGA, and enlisted in Nov 1915, and was discharged in Aug 1917 due to Para 392 xvi (sickness). He is listed as not serving overseas. if you know your GD had a B&V then this is unlikely to be him!

Regards Paul

post-26606-1194241177.jpgThanks Ron,

It looks like I have the wrong man. I never heard anything about Ireland or bad health.

Any Ideas? I know he trained or at least was photographed in front of Wentworth House in Yorkshire. See attached.

Ian

Ian.

1. The Badge referred to is the Silver War Badge.

2. It looks like 49 Coy (company), which was based in Queenstown Harbour in Ireland in 1914.

3. He may have been snt for home service after being wounded, and later discharged after his hea;lth deteriorated further. Shrapnel wounds could easily break a leg, for instance.

4. Not sure, but it might be the page number in the RGA medal roll.

5. These just indicate the name (or initials) of the firm who printed the form, when it was printed and similar information. These details appear on virtually every printed Army Form and Army Book.

Ron

How about:

Medal card of Hoyland, Arthur

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers T/3347 Sapper

Royal Horse Artillery 673 Sapper

Royal Engineers 476902 Sapper

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=20

It would seem that he served first with the RHA, and then transferred to the Royal Engineers. The Sapper rank shown against the RHA entry is probably wrong - he would probably have been a Driver or Gunner.

There are two records for Arthur Hoylands on Ancestry. One is a Greandier Guard from Rawmarsh, Rotherham, the other from Potters Bar who served with the Army Service Corps.

Steve.

Well spotted Steve, interesting that the MIC that Ian posted had his rank down as Pioneer on the NA list but Gunner on the actual card. Hopefully for Ian the service no. will be part of the West Riding RHA and will tie in with Arthur being photographed at Wentworth Woodhouse,

cheers, Jon

Hello Ian,

I seem to be missing something here but I have done that before. The card you have posted is a Silver War Badge card. It makes no mention of Arthur's other medals. If you are sure he had other medals, then he has another Medal Index Card somewhere. Many men had multiple MIC's. There is one listed to just "A. Hoyland". Also there is nothing that I have seen on here that says he did not go abroad. If you actually get to see the entry in the Rolls that goes with the Award of a Silver War Badge, it contains more information. It will include a code for overseas service. It also will have his age on dicharge, which will narrow him down.

Regards Mike Jones

The "A Hoyland" listed on the MICs has a WO372/24 reference denoting a Medal Card for either an MID, a MSM or TFEM, not a campaign medals card.

The R.E. number relates to the 1st West Riding Field Company (later renamed 455th Company), which served with 29th Division from March 1915:

http://www.1914-1918.net/29div.htm

Although this Company served in Gallipoli prior to the Western Front, he could have joined them afterward the evacuation and their move to France, if there is no evidence of service at Gallipoli.

Steve.

I convinced Ian to buy the MIC for Gunner 163 A. Hoyland, I haven't seen a copy but Ian tells me that it has a date of 1909 which would be too early for his Grandfather.

clickety click for the original post on Arthur Hoyland.

cheers, Jon

I convinced Ian to buy the MIC for Gunner 163 A. Hoyland, I haven't seen a copy but Ian tells me that it has a date of 1909 which would be too early for his Grandfather.

clickety click for the original post on Arthur Hoyland.

cheers, Jon

Thanks Jon , Steve, Paul, Ron & Mike for your contributions.

Attached is the MIC for A. Hoyland which I think rules him out as a possible "suspect". I hope it can be of use to someone else. I will attach the card for the Royal Engineer/ RHA guy later.

IanIan1.pdf

How about:

Medal card of Hoyland, Arthur

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Engineers T/3347 Sapper

Royal Horse Artillery 673 Sapper

Royal Engineers 476902 Sapper

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=20

It would seem that he served first with the RHA, and then transferred to the Royal Engineers. The Sapper rank shown against the RHA entry is probably wrong - he would probably have been a Driver or Gunner.

There are two records for Arthur Hoylands on Ancestry. One is a Greandier Guard from Rawmarsh, Rotherham, the other from Potters Bar who served with the Army Service Corps.

Steve.

Hi Steve (& all you others who are spending you time trying to help me)

Here is the MIC for the RHA/RE Arthur Hoyland. I had never heard any mention of the RE so had discounted this Arthur, but at this point I am not sure of anything.

One other story puts me off this card is that my dad told me the horse in the photo was hamstrung by someone on the journey back to the UK. Probably a person with a personal grudge. So if he was still with the horse it implies a couple of things. First he was still in the artillery and second he returned with his unit, not discharged sick.

Ian

post-26606-1194310471.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just click the links and they'll take you to the relevant page. It's a site set up by the National Archives where users can contribute their own knowledge of historical documents.