Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bangor N.Wales Casualties online

clive_hughes

Member hywyn has kindly pointed out to me that the WW1 In Memoriam volume for those from the City of Bangor, Gwynedd (formerly Caernarfonshire) has been digitized and is searchable online at:

http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages...cofeb/index.htm

The slim book by Rev. W.J.Owen is entitled "Cofeb y Dewrion Heroes Memorial 1914-1918", and contains photographs and brief obituaries for most of those who died. Arrangement is alphabetical, but please note that (like the original volume) there are two sections: the Welsh-language obits A-Z come first, followed by those in English. It must have depended on the individual's family language as to which was chosen.

I have a minor gripe in that, for some reason, the pages at the end of both sections which gave brief biographies of men for whom NO photo was available have not been reproduced on this website. There aren't many, and it would hardly have cost much more to include them.

If anyone wants to check those not listed, just let me know as I have one of the original volumes. Same goes for translating obits in Welsh, though other pals can also offer that facility.

LST_164

• 9 months later...

Hi Hywyn.

Regarding the gripe! An oversight on updating, certainly not a matter of cost as the work that goes into the website is purely voluntary. I will look into it over the next few days and rectify the omission.

All the best

Matt

Bangor Civic Society

PS if anyone is interested the WW1 memorial in Bangor would appreciate some help. It needs work on the foundations the building houses many of the memorial plaques from WW1/2 from chapels now demolished or converted...Development Office University of Wales Bangor , Athrolys, Bangor , Gwynedd Tel: 01248 382594 Fax: 01248 383268

Email: development@bangor.ac.uk

Further Information about the Arch... Detailed information about the work required (Gwynedd Planning Site)

Engraved Planels inside the arch available online

Listed building Information for the Arch

Cofeb Y Dewrion, Book produced for those lost from Bangor

Member hywyn has kindly pointed out to me that the WW1 In Memoriam volume for those from the City of Bangor, Gwynedd (formerly Caernarfonshire) has been digitized and is searchable online at:

http://www.bangorcivicsociety.org.uk/pages...cofeb/index.htm

The slim book by Rev. W.J.Owen is entitled "Cofeb y Dewrion Heroes Memorial 1914-1918", and contains photographs and brief obituaries for most of those who died. Arrangement is alphabetical, but please note that (like the original volume) there are two sections: the Welsh-language obits A-Z come first, followed by those in English. It must have depended on the individual's family language as to which was chosen.

I have a minor gripe in that, for some reason, the pages at the end of both sections which gave brief biographies of men for whom NO photo was available have not been reproduced on this website. There aren't many, and it would hardly have cost much more to include them.

If anyone wants to check those not listed, just let me know as I have one of the original volumes. Same goes for translating obits in Welsh, though other pals can also offer that facility.

LST_164

Sorry Matt,

the gripe was mine and not hywyn's!

Good to see that the minor omission will be corrected.

The Arch certainly deserves to be preserved as a unique listing of names of those who died across the six old counties of North Wales. Quite a few of the parishes concerned still don't have their own memorials, so that this is the only near-contemporary listing of casualties in their case. In other cases, it provides an alternative listing to existing memorials - very often the two are not the same!

I can testify to its value having used it many years ago as a basis for beginning the catalogue of Anglesey's war dead.

By the way, I am Bangor born and bred and a graduate of the old UCNW.

Regards,

LST_164