Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Welsh Division Field Ambulance

Gardeb

Could anyone tell me the relevant war diary references for this unit or if they were renamed or renumbered. Also where they served would be nice to know

I am particularly interested in Sergeant Major 364003 W. C. SCOTT RAMC and Corporal 364213 W. Walters (my wifes grandfather who was from Ebbw Vale and is pictured in what appears to be tropical kit with SM Scott).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gareth

Gareth,

The 1st Welsh Field Ambulance RAMC (TF) was formed in 1907 on the reorganisation of the Volunteer Force into the Territorial Force. The unit was previously the South Wales Border Bearer Company. Its headquarters were in Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire.

On 5th August 1914 the 1st Welsh FA was mobilised, and as part of the 53rd Welsh Division (TF) it was sent to the Northampton area. It had split into two parts, the 1/1st WFA or First Line, which contained those who were (in effect) both fit and willing to serve Overseas, and the reserve 2/1st WFA or Second Line unit which contained the less fit, raw recruits, and those who declined to accept the Overseas obligation (which a Territorial could still do, right up to the arrival of Conscription in 1916). The 2/1st remained in the UK for the rest of the War.

On 16 July 1915 the 1/1st Welsh FA (3 Officers and 183 Other Ranks) embarked at Devonport on the troopship SS Euripedes, together with the 1st Herefordshire Regiment, the 4th Welsh Regiment and some Headquarters units. It sailed on 19 July for the Eastern Mediterranean and the operations then going on at GALLIPOLI.

Passing via the Greek Islands, the 53rd Division began to land at SUVLA BAY, Gallipoli, on 8th August 1915. However, the Welsh Field Ambulances (there were 3) only began to struggle ashore the next day in some confusion. In the inconclusive fighting of the next five days, the Division suffered some 2,300 casualties, and when the situation petered out in stalemate and trench warfare dysentery, heatstroke, jaundice and other ailments decimated the ranks. After 18 weeks, and the onset of severe wintry weather the Division was evacuated beginning 11th December 1915.

Arriving at Alexandria in Egypt, the Division was posted to Wardan, some 40 miles north of Cairo. The 53rd Divn. was to spend the rest of the War in the Middle East. By May 1916 the 1/1st WFA had been posted to Faiyum with the 160th Infantry Brigade, as part of the Suez Canal Defence force. There was some small-scale fighting which led to the Sinai being cleared of the enemy by the end of 1916.

In 1917 the 53rd Division took part in several hard-fought and costly actions against the strong Turkish positions at Gaza. Two battles in March and April failed. The Third Battle of Gaza 27 Oct-7 Nov 1917 was successful, and by the end of the year the Division had captured Jerusalem. During 1918 it continued the slow advance north through the Judean Hills, the principal actions being at Tell'Asur in March and Nablus (Megiddo or Armageddon) in September. As Damascus fell and the British forces moved up through Syria the Turks declared an Armistice in October 1918. Demobilisation of the Division and its return home began on 20th December 1918.

The 1st Welsh FA had by then left the Welsh Divn - it was transferred on 21 August to the Desert Mounted Corps and finished the war with this mixture of horse and camel-mounted units.

Your mens' numbers 364003 etc were allocated to the 1st WFA on 1 April 1917, beginning with no.364001 and going from there in order of seniority of service with the Ambulance. So QMS William Charles Scott was the 3rd most senior Other Rank by date he joined the WFA, and very likely belonged to it before the War. He was also awarded either a Meritorious Service Medal, Mentioned in Dispatches, or granted the TF Efficiency Medal for long service - this is recorded in the National Archives category WO 372/24. His highest rank in the War was Temporary Sergeant-Major.

Corporal William Walters was the 213th most senior by the same logic.

War Diary will be found in National Archives Kew WO 95 series - check their online catalogue for the exact piece number.

I hope these notes are of help.

Cheers,

LST_164

Thanks very much for your reply.

I did try a search for the diary the last occasion I was at kew but ran out of time.

I'll look again next time I go.

Gareth

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gareth,

If you PM me your email address I have a couple of press cuttings which refer to the RAMC and Welsh Field Ambulance during its time in Cambridge.

I don't know if they would be of any use to you but please contact me if you would like a copy of them.

Kind regards

Martyn