Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/6 Bn Durham Light Infantry

lialola20

Chris

Yes,WO95/3023 covers May 1918 to August 1919. You may be able to download pages from it via the National Archives Digital Express service.

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Note: If you want to post your interest there may be someone here who has a copy of the part (s) you need.

Does anyone know if a war diary exits for May 1918 to Nov 1918?

Chris,

I can't help with copies of war diary pages but hopefully you'll find the attachment of some interest & help.

David T.

Second_Line_6th_Battalion__DLI.doc

Chris,

I can't help with copies of war diary pages but hopefully you'll find the attachment of some interest & help.

David T.

Thanks David,

My great-Grandfather was transferred into them ?..I think possibly 1918. Before that he was in the Northen Cyclist Bn. Did you know the 2/6 DLI was involved in defeating the Irish Rebellion 1916? Please correct if i'm wrong.

I have saved a copy if thats OK. If not sorry and i'll delete it from my records.

thanks again,

Chris

My great-Grandfather was transferred into them ?..I think possibly 1918. Before that he was in the Northen Cyclist Bn. Did you know the 2/6 DLI was involved in defeating the Irish Rebellion 1916? Please correct if i'm wrong.

I have saved a copy if thats OK. If not sorry and i'll delete it from my records.

Chris,

I see that Graham Stewart picked up your earlier thread about the Northern Cyclist Battalion [DLI or NF] & there's nothing more I can add to that.

As far as I've been able to determine, 2/6 DLI didn't maintain a war diary, so 'No' I wasn't aware of it's role in events in Ireland in 1916. Do you have any source material that can be shared or is it something simply picked up from family history / stories or a letter or two from your Great Grandfather? If there's something shareable I'm sure I won't be alone in finding it really interesting.

As for my piece on 2/6 DLI, by all means retain a copy. I'm pleased it's of some help.

David T.

Chris,

I see that Graham Stewart picked up your earlier thread about the Northern Cyclist Battalion [DLI or NF] & there's nothing more I can add to that.

As far as I've been able to determine, 2/6 DLI didn't maintain a war diary, so 'No' I wasn't aware of it's role in events in Ireland in 1916. Do you have any source material that can be shared or is it something simply picked up from family history / stories or a letter or two from your Great Grandfather? If there's something shareable I'm sure I won't be alone in finding it really interesting.

As for my piece on 2/6 DLI, by all means retain a copy. I'm pleased it's of some help.

David T.

Chris,

David T.

Chris,

David T.

Chris,

David T.

Chris,

David T.

David T

I am unsure about the service of the 2/6 DLI in Ireland 1916, although i have seen a photograph with a description such as ' 2/6 DLI in the Luton Area prior to, or upon its return from going to Ireland to assist in surpressing the Irish rebellion'. I will check my sources. Why it stays in mind is that i thought my great-grandad was in the 2/6 DLI at that time, and thought it an interesting point. I will always stand corrected but allow me some time to check. I cannot recall which history it is in at present.

regards

Chris

• 6 years later...

David

I note that the last post on this was in 2007 but I am new on here and have just downloaded your attachment. My Granddad was with the 2/6th DLI and reading your extract has made things a lot clearer for me about his time with them. Thanks for making the document available.

Regards

Dave