Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge - Reason for discharge

AngelaC

I am researching George Neild, Service Number 6655 of the 1st Battalion Hampshire Regiment. He served from 1914 to 1916 and according to family history was discharged due to an injury to his hand.

His MIC shows that he received the Silver War Badge and in the remarks column it reads: Discharged, plus reference numbers - this I can follow, but it also states 'Brought to Charge' by C R ...... (can't read) - does anyone know what this means

Is the only way to obtain information about his discharge from his service records or from the SWB roll at the National Archives?

Many thanks - Angela

Hi, Angela

Would it be possible to upload the MIC in case someone with sharp eyes can decifer the bit you can't read?

If you upload it offsite somewhere like photobucket (free to open an account) you can upload a bigger version for easier viewing.

Allie

Hi Angela

I think it might be 'brought to change' and the medal was re-issued with a correct name or number??

Its all in the same hand writting...............

post-4619-1186442545.jpg

Mike

Hi Angela

I think it might be 'brought to change' and the medal was re-issued with a correct name or number??

Its all in the same hand writting...............

post-4619-1186442545.jpg

Mike

To Allie and Mike

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. The old saying 'two heads are better than one' sometimes applies, I felt that most of the information in the remarks column seemed to be about the SWB, but you know how it is you can read more into something than is actually there!!! Once again many thanks.

Best wishes - Angela

Hello Angela, Mike and Allie,

I was hoping this query would be cleared up as I have a similar Medal Index Card, which makes no sense to me. However my card is a little clearer than yours. It definitely says "Taken on charge C.R.V. (Certified Return Voucher) 234d (which I dont understand)/. 23-1-20 (The date) Auth.734/adt. (the adt. is audit). There is a bit more writing underneath that but I dont know if the two are connected. The second bit concerns the scrapping of a duplicate 1914 Star.

Regards Mike Jones

Dear all

I would image that drawing up medal rolls, cross checking to service records and generatring MICs would have been a major undertaking subject to numerous errors - not to mention mistakes in actually naming the medals.

I've just looked through 42 random MICs and there is evidence of mistakes to the numbering/naming of about 14 of these (12%). With words such as Retd, replaced, CRV etc making numerous appearances.

Often you see little symbol/hieroglyphics next to a mans name/number/rank/regiment which may well indicate where the mistake was corrected :blink: who knows ?

cheers

Mike

Mike,

I think you will find that those little symbols next to the man's name/number/rank/regiment are for the guidance of the person who was to name the medals. The same symbol will be found next to either the 'Star' or 'BWM/VIC' roll reference on the card to identify which details were to be put on which medal(s).

Regards

Steve

Angela,

6655 Pte George NEILD

Enlisted 12/11/1902 as Frederick CORBETT (alias G. Neild)

To France 27/08/1914 with 1st Battalion, Hampshire Regt

Discharged 07/08/1915 medically unfit (wounds) K.R. para 392 xvi (No longer physically fit for service)

Silver war badge no. 52609 issued

Awarded a 1914 Star trio with clasp

Appears on the regimental casualty lists (under 6655 Neild G) as wounded G.S.W. (gun shot wound)., left hand, to England 01/05/1915 so your family history looks correct. He was certainly causing difficulty in official records as he has a further entry within two pages of this under 6655 Corbett F. which states to 2nd N.G.H. (Northern General Hospital), Leeds 02/05/1915.

The references on the MIC that you refer to will relate to the renaming of his medals.

Marc

Angela,

6655 Pte George NEILD

Enlisted 12/11/1902 as Frederick CORBETT (alias G. Neild)

To France 27/08/1914 with 1st Battalion, Hampshire Regt

Discharged 07/08/1915 medically unfit (wounds) K.R. para 392 xvi (No longer physically fit for service)

Silver war badge no. 52609 issued

Awarded a 1914 Star trio with clasp

Appears on the regimental casualty lists (under 6655 Neild G) as wounded G.S.W. (gun shot wound)., left hand, to England 01/05/1915 so your family history looks correct. He was certainly causing difficulty in official records as he has a further entry within two pages of this under 6655 Corbett F. which states to 2nd N.G.H. (Northern General Hospital), Leeds 02/05/1915.

The references on the MIC that you refer to will relate to the renaming of his medals.

Marc

Hello Marc, Sorry for the delay in thanking you for all the information on George Neild/ Frederick Corbett, I have been away for a few days and am just catching up.

How did you find all this out, I am still trying to take it all in !!!!!!

As far as I knew George Neild was born in Bristol lived in Manchester and thats where he brought up his family. So the question is why did he join the Hampshire Regiment??? As for Frederick Corbett he is a mystery, his name is n't known in the family. Did he really have an alias or could this have been a clerical error????

I am unsure as to where to go now but intrigued more than ever.

Once again thank you so much

Angela

Angela,

By no means a conclusive answer but if you ask yourself, "Why do men join the foreign legion?", you might be close to the truth on both questions.

Also, as an example, out of eleven men in one street who enlisted in Bristol during the course of the war only 3 joined the Gloucestershire Regiment.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Angela,

A lot of the time in this research business finding answers to some questions only leads to a whole host of others.

The information that I have detailed comes from various official sources such as the medal rolls, Silver War Badge roll and casualty lists contained in the regimental journals. I think that you can rule out any clerical error in respect of his name.

You may wish to see if a service record survives for him at the National Archives in Kew under both Corbett and Neild and any other variations in this spelling. I can confirm that his service record is not on Ancestry.co.uk but you should appreciate that this does not represent all that survives.

Marc

Angela,

By no means a conclusive answer but if you ask yourself, "Why do men join the foreign legion?", you might be close to the truth on both questions.

Also, as an example, out of eleven men in one street who enlisted in Bristol during the course of the war only 3 joined the Gloucestershire Regiment.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Simon

I take yout point, maybe this will be another fascinating mystery left unsolved.

Angela

Angela,

A lot of the time in this research business finding answers to some questions only leads to a whole host of others.

The information that I have detailed comes from various official sources such as the medal rolls, Silver War Badge roll and casualty lists contained in the regimental journals. I think that you can rule out any clerical error in respect of his name.

You may wish to see if a service record survives for him at the National Archives in Kew under both Corbett and Neild and any other variations in this spelling. I can confirm that his service record is not on Ancestry.co.uk but you should appreciate that this does not represent all that survives.

Marc

Marc, in your debt again. I will do as you suggest and look for George's and of course Fred's service records as soon as I can.

I'm grateful for all the help I have received, found more out in the last 10 days than I have in the last 2 years so again thank you

Angela

Hi Angela

To answer your last question in your first post, I don't think you will find out the reason for discharge on the War Badge document itself. I have my grandfather's War Badge certificate and all it says on it is its number, and his name, number and regiment, then "for 'Services Rendered' in HM's Military Forces since 4th August 1914." It is stamped and dated 7/12/17 which is when he was discharged from the army due to his wound.

Anyway, you have found out of information a lot in other ways. A very interesting and mysterious history!

Regards

Simon

This part of the question remains unanswered, perticularly in ref to the SWB roll

"Is the only way to obtain information about his discharge from his service records or from the SWB roll at the National Archives?"

As one of those backwoodsmen for whom a visit to the NA would require staying a night down in the smoke and therefore unlikely in the near future - is there any other way of getting at info on the SWB roll? I am looking for info on a grandfather who had an SWB who I believe was discharged in mid 1918 with a combination of gas poisoning and trench fever but other than the medal card which is one of the largely uniformative ones and merely records name rank and number, Regiment and the two 'standard' medals plus the SWB there is nothing else easily accessible.

This part of the question remains unanswered, perticularly in ref to the SWB roll

is there any other way of getting at info on the SWB roll?

The best way is to post as much information as you have in the TNA/Kew forum HERE. Include the full name, regiment and SWB ref number from the MiC and someone will probably check it out for you. At the very least it may list the date and KR reason for discharge.

Kind Regards,

SMJ