Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Whitfield Steel Waistcoat

Seadog

Can any forum member provide more details about the `Whitfield Steel Waistcoat` which saved the life of Lt Kinred.

Hugh Kinred was curate at St John the Baptist, Frenchay, Bristol.

From the London Gazette - July 1916:

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 27 JULY, 1916.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to confer the Military Cross on the

undermentioned Officers and Warrant Officers, in recognition of their gallantry and devotion

Temp. Lt. Hugh Cowell Kinred, 14th Bn. Glouc. R."For conspicuous gallantry. When a bomb thrown by the enemy fell at his feet in the trench, he at once threw himself on it, and was blown into the air and much bruised and cut by the explosion, his life being saved by his steel waistcoat. His plucky action saved many casualties."

From St John the Baptist church magazine - September 1916

Captain Hugh Kinred, of 14th Glo'sters ("Bristol Bantams"), who enlisted when curate of this parish, has won the Military Cross. The Daily Mirror of August 22nd gives the following account of his exploit, together with capital photographs of himself and the few poor remnants of his tunic both donned and doffed: "The marvelous escape from death of Capt. H.C. Kinred will probably rank as one of the most remarkable stories of the war. While walking along a trench he saw a bomb come over and drop near seven soldiers who were fast asleep. 'In a moment, I saw the danger they were in, and that no time could be lost in picking it up: so I decided to smother it by lying on it. No sooner had I lain on it than it exploded, blowing me from the corner of the trench at an angle of about 30 degrees on to it's top, and I should doubtless have been killed but for the lucky chance that I was wearing a Whitfield steel waistcoat.' The Captain, who was promoted in the field, has been awarded the Military Cross for this act of self-sacrifice, in which he sustained serious wounds."

Thanks

Norman

Whoops - Friend already posted this topic in this section - Aplologies

Matter of two great minds thinking alike

Well perhaps just one

Not Me

Norman

hehe 'lo Norm :lol:

The original post and full reference is HERE

But your question does sit well by itself.

I'm doing quite a bit of work in this area at the moment and there are numerous references to this type of waistcoat and garb, though none specifically to Whitfield.

This would have been and example of "Hard" armour as opposed to the cloth or Chemico type suits. The hard types were quite common although the Chemico was popular and lighter. The hard variants were plate and mail. My own thoughts are that this was most likely a plate type which was manufactured in Whitfield, Bristol although I don't believe there was a "Whitfield Steel Company".

Theres a classic example of a light-plate waistcoat HERE

It seems incredible that a blast like that would be survivable but there is also the story of Sgt. J. Carmichael VC, 9/North Staffs who won his Victoria Cross in a similar incident. He didn't have a waistcoat so he threw his helmet on the bomb and stood on it! The blast also blew him out of the trench and shattered his legs:

From the London Gazette TUESDAY, the 16th of OCTOBER, 1917

War Office,

17th October, 1917.

His Majesty The KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Victoria Cross to the undermentioned Officer, Noncommissioned

Officers and men:

No. 34795 Sjt. John C'armichael, N. Staff. R. (Glasgow).

"For most conspicuous bravery. When excavating a trench Sjt. Carmichael saw that a grenade had been unearthed and had started to burn.

He immediately rushed to the spot and, shouting to his men to get clear, placed his steel helmet over the grenade and stood on the helmet.

The grenade exploded and blew him out of the trench. Sjt. Carmichael could have thrown the bomb out of his trench, but he realised that

by so doing he would have endangered the lives of the men working on top. By this splendid act of resource and selfsacrifice Sjt. Carmichael

undoubtedly saved many men from injury, but it resulted in serious injury to himself"

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Whoops - Friend already posted this topic in this section - Aplologies

Matter of two great minds thinking alike

Well perhaps just one

Not Me

Norman

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally located the Patent application for the protective waistcoat. First submitted on the 6th April 1915 with the final specification lodged on 17th April 1916. The application was made by a lady, Francis Dayton and Mr E A Whitfield, both of Hertfordshire, the device consisted of four pieces of metal fitted into a sheath or casing of textile material stitched vertically and horizontally. The metal used consisted of sheet metal or an alloy, nickel steel or nickel chromium steel. The protection thus afforded could be extended to the back of the waistcoat and this is the complete device shown below (from the patent application). Goodness knows what a weight this must have been but it was effective as Capt Kinred so bravely proved.

Described in the patent as:

“This invention has for its object to provide a shield that shall be efficient and light and capable of being comfortably worn by a soldier or other person for the protection of his body against attack by rifle fire, bayonet, lance or sword”.

Norman

post-21884-1184761037.jpg

Excellent find.

Was the patent granted?

SMJ

Hi Simon

The complete specification was accepted 17th April 1916. The actual patent numbers and details are:

Provisional Application - No. 5196 6/04/15 - `Improvements in or realating to Shields for the use of Soldiers and Others`

Complete Specification application - No 13258 15/09/15 -as above-

Complete Specification accepted - 17/04/16

Norman

Hi Simon

The complete specification was accepted 17th April 1916. The actual patent numbers and details are:

Provisional Application - No. 5196 6/04/15 - `Improvements in or realating to Shields for the use of Soldiers and Others`

Complete Specification application - No 13258 15/09/15 -as above-

Complete Specification accepted - 17/04/16

There is a typo in my posting : Francis Villa should red : Francis Dayton. Her adress is FRANCIS VILLA - coincidence or what?

Norman

Hi Norman,

The type of body armour described is commonly known as the the Dayfield Body Shield, this presumably could be an acronym of francis DAYton and e whitFIELD. Sorry if this is a case of stating the bloody obvious.

Ian

IS THIS WHAT YOU ARE AFTER

In a word YES! - Brilliant and many thanks - where was the photo taken?. Many thanks also to Ian for explaining the DAY/FIELD link; I would never have thought of this. Now going to dash off and try to see a copy of the Daily Mirror for August 22nd 1916, with the report and photos, that is before someone gets there before me, such is the expertise and enthusiasm of the forum members !.

Norman

Hi norman

A few more photos

ian

Ian

This is splendid; I could not imagine such a response to be forthcoming. In particular the advert which confirms my very small bit of research. Thanks again, good stuff!.

Norman

PS Have sent off Postal Order for 21/6 (post paid) for a single shield.