Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos Double Crassier

sjustice

'lo all,

Loos now has the dubious distinction of offering visitors the highest slag heap in Europe at just under 190m (623ft in old money). For the many who have seen them they are amazing.

Does anyone know how high the double crassier was in 1915? Any decent photos and distinct stories, memoirs or diaries relating to fighting specifically on or around them? Does anyone have trench maps or aerial photographs showing them?

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Hello,

the "double crassier" was not the same as now, I don't know how high it was but it was long, large but flat, not high !

I have photos of it somewhere, I'll try to find them.

regards,

Sly

George Coppard in "Machine Gun to Cambrai gives quite a good description of the area.

Roop

Can you transcribe or precis what he says?

Kind Regards,

SMJ

I've just found the book I was looking for:

"Loos en Gohelle dans la tourmente Aout 1914-1917" by Christophe Jupon.

It's in french but i think it is translated in english.

I will do a scan of maps with the "double crassier" soon!

regards,

Sly

There are a series of DC photos in the IWM photo archive some of which are used in the book

Most Unfavourable Ground.

The 47th London Diviison was tasked with taking the CD on 25th September 1915.

19th Battalion London Regiment, 141 Brigade IIRC Niall.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mel ad all for comments

I've just found the book I was looking for:

"Loos en Gohelle dans la tourmente Aout 1914-1917" by Christophe Jupon.

It's in french but i think it is translated in english.

I will do a scan of maps with the "double crassier" soon!

regards,

Sly

Sly, any progress on the scanning? :D

Kind Regards,

SMJ

Simon,

I remember Gilles of the Loos War Museum saying that the slag heaps were about 30 m (60 feet) high in 1915.

All the best,

Fred

The 10th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment diaries mention the double crassier a few times I will take a look and try and scan or email

regards

Recently taken view of the Double C from the Vimy Memorial

post-17223-1184060373.jpg

Here's another picture, this one from The Loos memorial (Dud Corner Cemetery)

post-13680-1184114986.jpg

Taken in April

Neil

Neil & Alan thanks for those pics, it's such an amazing feature when you think what it was like in 1915. Dud Corner is one of my favourite spots and the last time I was there the weather was so bad you couldn't see the DC for rain. By the time we had driven to La Bassee there wasn't a cloud in the sky.

Kind Regards,

SMJ

hello !! i am eric i am french i live at lens has 2 kilometers of the double crassier Here is some photo taken down from the double crassier

photo loos battlefield and village loos and hulluch

post-23276-1184176722.jpg

photo the battlefield german trench

post-23276-1184176853.jpg

Eric?

Le dernier scan,c'est de quel direction?NSEO?

David.

Nice pics.

Thanks Eric. West side so what trench is that? O.O

SMJ

Question to the Forum.

When did production stop involving these, mine tips. Did production stop during the Great War. what was the longevity of the pits or mines connected to the Double Crassier after the Great War, this feature of the battle field was so familiar to a lot of the lads from Lanarkshire Scotland (and of course lads from any mining community in the UK) as a lot of them came from area's dotted with these pit or mine tailing tips, if production was continued after the Great War it stands to reason that the tip or (Crassier) would get higher. Just a thought!!!!

Just a thought Cheers Rob.

Edit.!!! Brilliant photographs by the way.

Hey Rob,

AFAIK production was stopped in 1915 but was certainly restarted in 1918 and the results were my reason for starting the thread.

We now have Eric from Loos as a member of the forum so I hope he can add to the story. I'd particularly like to know when production stopped but I still think the growth from 100ft during the war to 623ft as they are now is astounding.

SMJ

Question to the Forum.

When did production stop involving these, mine tips. Did production stop during the Great War. what was the longevity of the pits or mines connected to the Double Crassier after the Great War, this feature of the battle field was so familiar to a lot of the lads from Lanarkshire Scotland (and of course lads from any mining community in the UK) as a lot of them came from area's dotted with these pit or mine tailing tips, if production was continued after the Great War it stands to reason that the tip or (Crassier) would get higher. Just a thought!!!!

Just a thought Cheers Rob.

Edit.!!! Brilliant photographs by the way.

Coal production stopped on the double crassier pits but was resumed post war. and continued well after WW2. The tips ended up almost twice the height that they were during the war. This increase in height is mentioned in more than one ' guide ' book. I believe BEF mentions it. Some pits in the area were worked during the war. This is mentioned in a Tunnelers book.

Neil,

The Double Crassier, or as called by the Jocks: 'The twa bings!'. The 1st Bn BW had this on their 1917 Christmas card. It can be seen in Wauchope, Vol I, Regular Army, opposite page 57.

Eric - Great photos of the battlefield

Aye

Tom McC

• 1 month later...

I've just noticed that Dave Croonaert has a terrific trench map of August 1916 showing the extraordinary shape and important position of the Double Crassier during the war.

Check out Paths of Glory and in particular look at Maroc - "Double Crassier" here.

Kind Regards,

SMJ