Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd/8th Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers

Jon6640

The below man from my village is buried at Charmes in Eastern France. I didn't know that British Forces were that far east. Can anyone shed some light on what we were doing there.

Fellow Forum member Versigny who kindly shared a photo with me of Thomas' grave says that Charmes has a couple of hundred Commonwealth burials and whilst these include "all sorts" - Canadians, Indians, Chinese, British Infantry, the largest numbers are of RAF, presumably, largely, victims of crashes, whether as a result of enemy fire or otherwise, but it does not explain the others who died in a sector which he believes was always held by the French.

Name: BOSWORTH

Initials: T H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd/8th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/12/1918

Service No: 48945

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. H. 7.

Cemetery: CHARMES MILITARY CEMETERY, ESSEGNEY

Cemetery: CHARMES MILITARY CEMETERY, ESSEGNEY

Locality: unspecified

Location Information: Charmes is a small town 25 kilometres north-west of Epinal and 44 kilometres south of Nancy. It is best reached from the junction off the motorway N.57 - E.23. The CWGC cemetery is located on the east side of the town of Charmes, on road D9 going to Damas-aux-Bois.

Historical Information: Charmes Military Cemetery was used by the 8th Canadian and 42nd Stationary Hospitals and enlarged after the Armistice when graves were brought in from Bazoilles-sur-Meuse French Military Cemetery, Bosserville and Charmes Communal Cemetery Extensions, Gerardmer Communal and French Military Cemeteries, Rouceux French Military Cemetery, Savigny Churchyard and Toul American Cemetery. The cemetery now contains 202 burials and commemorations of the First World War. Three of the burials are unidentified and there is a special memorial to one casualty buried in Neuf Chateau Communal Cemetery whose grave could not be found. The cemetery also contains 13 Second World War burials and three war graves of other nationalities.

Hi.

The 2/8th Lancs Fusiliers were part of the 66th Division, I have the War diary for the artilliery of that Division. In December of 1918 the 330th RFA Brigade was stationed at Villers Le Gambon where they spent the first two weeks of December at rest. I presume the whole division was around the same area, at the wars end they were positioned at Pommerville ( 4th Nov) and then moved to Landrecies and then Marbaix (11th Nov).

Hopefully this will give you an idea of the whereabouts of the 66th Division at the wars end.

Best regards Aaron.