Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Question Mark

P. J. Clarke

Pte. Stephen Kennedy, 2nd Battn. Connaught Rangers, was, according to reports, wounded and brought by train to a hospital in Athis Mons, but died before he got there. The date on his headstone is 22nd August, 1914. Can anyone enlighten me as to how this soldier got wounded and was the 2nd Battn. Connaught Rangers in battle around this date, seeing that the war had just started. Any information would be appreciated. Incidentally, he was one of three Ballina, Co. Mayo, Ireland, brothers who fell in battle. P. J. Clarke, Pte.

Hi. The Bn was in 5th bde, 2nd Division. According to the divisional history, they were at Pont sur Sambre on the 22nd, moving up to Mons on the night 22nd/23rd, ready for the Battle which commenced on the latter date. There is no mention of any action on the 22nd.

I wonder if he was accidentally wounded...jumpy sentry, perhaps?

Athis Mons is South of Paris, so he wouldn't have been injured in action anywhere near that area on that date.

More likely some sort of accident, training maybe?

Neil

Here's the usual CWGC details......

Name: KENNEDY

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Connaught Rangers

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 22/08/1914

Service No: 10691

Additional information: Son of John E. and Bridget Kennedy, of Ardoughan, Ballina, Co. Mayo.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Military Plot. 2. 29.

Cemetery: ATHIS-MONS COMMUNAL CEMETERY

• 3 years later...

Hi PJ,

I came across 10691 Private Stephen Kennedy in a Times casualty list published on 12/11/1914.

It reported him "Previously reported missing now reported wounded". He was subsequently reported died of wounds in The Times casualty list published 07/12/1914. I checked CWGC and was surprised at his date of death.

There is no mention of any action on or before 22/08/1914 in either the war diary or Jourdain & Fraser. So I would agree with the opinion that he must have been accidentally wounded.

Sgt. John McIlwain wrote in his diary of 1914 -

"16th August: Entrained about 9a.m. Saw for the first time Etaples, Amiens, Albert, Arras, Cambrai, where at the stops people were waiting with presents of fruit and wine. Detrained at Wassigny, and marched in the dark to Mennevret where we billeted. Route marching, skirmishing and musketry practice. Weather very hot, many falling out on the route marches. So much bad temper and apparent indiscipline that Colonel Abercrombie appeals and threatens."

Sounds like the kind of conditions in which an accident could easily happen and in which a man could be reported missing instead of wounded.

Stephen Kennedy's Service Record survives but like most it’s not in good condition.

Enlisted 21st May 1913 in Ballina.

Date of birth 21 April 1891. Farm labourer.

Letter to NoK reporting Kennedy missing, dated 24/09/1914.

Subsequent letter reporting his death on 22/08/1914, dated 17/11/1914.

Place of death appears to be Juvisy ??????? which is near Athis-Mons. Someone might be able to make out the place name?

post-38480-066417000 1288522528.jpg

Died from wounds received.

Father John. Mother Bridget. Brothers Patrick, John, Michael and William 1st Bn. Connaught Rangers, 10164.

Name: KENNEDY, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 21/01/1916

Service No: 10164

Awards: D C M

Additional information: Son of John and Bridget Kennedy, of Ardoughan, Ballina, Co. Mayo.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 40 and 64.

Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL

DCM Citation LG 1st April 1915.

10164 Private Kennedy W. 1st Bn. Connaught Rangers.

"For gallant conduct on 23rd December, 1914. When the soldier working the trench mortar was killed, Private Kennedy at once took up the duty and carried out the work with success, showing great zeal and ability."

Name: KENNEDY, JOHN

Initials: J

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 21/03/1918

Service No: 3811

Additional information: Son of John Kennedy, of Ardoughan, Ballina, Co. Mayo.

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. D. 14.

Cemetery: STE. EMILIE VALLEY CEMETERY, VILLERS-FAUCON

John

Hi,

From the Irish Times.

Listed as 'Missing' Irish Times Friday 9 Oct 1914

Listed as 'Previously Reported as Missing now Reported as Wounded' Irish Times Thursday 12 Nov 1914

Regards Mark

Mark,

Also listed as missing in The Times 09/10/1914.

Thanks

John

• 3 years later...

RYAN, JOHN JAMESRank:Able SeamanService No:SS/3609Date of Death:22/08/1914Regiment/Service:Royal NavyH.M.S. "Kennet."Panel Reference3.MemorialCHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

This Chap could be Irish

• 2 months later...

If Stephen died on the 22nd August, 1914, would the hospital not have reported his death to the army authorities. According to my learned friends the excerpts from the papers for November and December reported him missing in November and in December reported him dead. Any explanation?

If Stephen died on the 22nd August, 1914, would the hospital not have reported his death to the army authorities. According to my learned friends the excerpts from the papers for November and December reported him missing in November and in December reported him dead. Any explanation?

A man would be recorded as missing until evidence of death turned up. If there was a delay in the hospital report being actioned (not surprising due to the situation) then there could be a sizeable delay before the casualty records officially showed the death or a man even being announced as missing.

Craig

Once again: Thanks everybody who answered the thread and all those who had a look. Been busy of late trying to get an obelisk-type monument erected here in Ballina, Co. Mayo, to honour the one hundred and sixty-eight menfrom the town and surrounding areas who fell in the Great War. It's some task, but the stone has arrived and the groundworks will begin shortly. Inscribing the names and their home addresses will take a wee bit of time. I have added their home/street address and this will probably be the first monument with this info on it and viewers to it would see immediately where each man came from. No date set for the launching but as The Fallen have waited for one hundred years another few weeks won't matter. I would love to display Stephen Kennedy and his two brothers' medals but where they are God only knows. As far as I can gather they were brought to England but the remaining members of the family. After that? Any ideas.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late to enter this thread, I know, but the place-name in Archangel9's post 5 is Juvisy-sur-Orge, which is near Athis Mons.

Tom

Thanks Tom.