Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who is this?

Norrette

I have been puzzled by this picture as I don't think it is one of my family. Can anyone provide any information from this image - rank, regiment etc. Then I might know for sure whether it's one of my g-grandfathers and can argue the case with my mother - who says it's not :blink:

Any info much appreciated

885653921_517a71beb0_o.jpg

I haven`t a clue who he is but he looks somewhat un-British to me with those cuff decorations. Grumpy might know more. Phil B

Just wondering with the rings on the sleeves , could he be a member of the newborn RAF, difficult to tell what colour the uniform is though.

Cuff rank - Captain or Major (?) possibly cavalry with the horse's tail cropped?

(I think the white bit on his cuff is a mark on the photograph)

He has shoulder titles and the sleeve rings could be indicative of cuff rank, wondering about the white mark on left sleeve and think this could be damage to the photo or the officer has put some paper in the cuff as this looks like a review or address to the troops. He has a Yeomanry look about him no medals and the country gent who should be in red going after the hunt!

Rob

Sorry chaps, the cuff mark is damage to the photo (all my fam pics look like they were given to a 3yo to play with :( )

There seems to be a flower "clock" in the background on the right - I wonder if that's a clue to where it may have been shot.

The connection would either be to my Canadian uncle

my grandfather who was in the Royal Fusiliers before moving to the South Lancs.

My grandfather who was in the Inniskillings (I think) before moving to the Royal Irish Regiment Pioneers.

Have no idea what's on the back as it has been glued heavily to a photo album - but it looks like the photo has been cut down the right hand side as there is no border on the right.

I wondered if it may have been a visiting officer or something like that - why else would the family have kept it?