Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6 inch Howitzers at Beauval

PhilW

Just thought someone might be interested in these pics of Hows and the village. B/W ones taken just after Nov 23rd 1918 by John Alan Watson when Hows were shipped from the "front" back to Beauval. The colour ones taken by me on visit with my father in the '90s to the places his father had been in the Great War.

post-700-1179558093.jpg

post-700-1179558135.jpg

Fascinating seeing then and now pics like this you have managed to get the angles just right to give a good comparason. That's one of the more difficult aspects of taking these kind of pics. Did you take the originals with you to help line up?

I always love before&after pics, especially when the angles are right!

thanks

Roel

Dear Phil,

Very interesting, my Grandfather was BSM for 196 SB (which had 6" howitzers) and as you can see from 40 HAG War Diary, they were billeted at Beuvry from 28 November 1918. I am planning a trip to there later next year.

Thanks for posting the photos.

Best regards,

Norman Poole

post-15955-1179926094.jpg

Norman,

Hope you enjoy your trip, I was in area a few years ago researching my grandfather's diary - he was at La Bassee (well, shelling La Bassee from Mazingarbe Chateau grounds!) in 1915.

If you haven't got accommodation I can recommend

http://www.lestourterelles.fr/ in nearby Neoux-les-Mines (not a very attractive village it has to be said!)

Double rooms about £50 and a superb restaurant! (My Dad was paying!)

This will sound odd, but I was at school with a Norman Poole -you aren't by any very long chance originally from Scarborough are you??

By the way - if you want good maps of the area cheap (free!), go to

http://www.geoportail.fr/index.php?event=D...f7d2e88aa8ee6ae

Search for Beuvry, it will come up as an aerial photo, use the "transparence" slider top left to convert to map and then the zoom slider top right to get the scale you want, print off and voila! top class IGN map.

Regards

Phil

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Carl

I can see how the debate around the wheels of the Johannesburg 6” 26 CWT started. These wheel are all completely different.

Even the outer rim fixing is different.