Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German POW camps; Limburg, I Münster I/W, Dülmen

Warney

I've been researching my grandfathers war record for some time, thanks to this site I came accross details of ICRC.

From this I found out my Grandfather was intered at various stages in the following camps during the closing stages of the war:

Limburg

I Münster I/W

Dülmen

I would like to find out a bit more about the camps particularly I Münster I/W as a Google search and on this list didn't provide much information. It is from Münster that I believe my grandfather escaped.

Kind regards

Nick

Nick,

Limburg was a camp often used as the first place of registration for PoWs working behind the lines and he may not actually have entered the camp before being moved on. I Munster iW is most likely the camp normally called Munster I in Westphalia (not to be confused with Munsterlager which was in Hannover). This was a purpose built camp outside the town. (Munster II was the racecourse, Rennbahn and Munster III was formerly a German military camp. Munster IV was apparently reserved for non European troops).

Doug

See

Glyn

Thanks Doug & Glyn,

I had picked up one of the Limburg links but not the other.

My grandfather escaped from a POW camp, I'm guessing it was Munster - he used the sewer system to evade capture and surfaced in the Netherlands. Just a point I noticed was that Kemmel (where he was captured) Limburg, Dulmen and Munster are virtually in a straight line on the map - I am wondering if this would have coincided with one of the supply lines (possibly rail) I know Munster / Dulmen are part of the heavily industrialised Ruhr valley where much of the supplies would have come from.

Kind regards

Nick

Thanks Doug,

The information was very helpfull, I realised one of the documents I have a copy of, which I thought was a postcard he sent back home was in fact his ID tag whilst he was a POW. Like so many my Grandfather refused to talk about his tme in WW1 - it was only occasionally odd snippets would come out.

Cheers

Nick

I have my Grandfather's diary in which he gives details of his time as a prisoner in Dulmen & Limberg. He was, at this time, in the 2/5 N Staffs.

21 Mar 1918 - Bullecourt Sector. Captured at about 10.00 and marched under artillery fire to the Gerrman lines. About 600 prisoners were marched through a series of 'cages' and were given bread and 'fishy soup' to eat, using their helmets to eat and drink from. Marched to Valencarines then entrained for Dulmen on 25 March with 46 in the truck. Detrained at Haltern and marched to Dulmen and registered on 27 March. Entrained for Limburg on 17 April, arriving 18 April. Entrained for farm work 28 April to Heinsburg and worked at Aphoven and Ladfeld, about 3 miles from Holland. There were 3 British and 26 Russians. Left this Lager on 9 July for Oberbruck and worked in a Silk factory. About 100 prisoners here, 24 British, a couple of French and mainly Russian and Italian. Remained here until 9 November 1918. It seems that apart from occasional bread and water on the marches they were quite well looked after in the camps and well looked after on the farms.

Dulmen ID - 53176 barrack 23B, group 3

Stammlager Limburg no 107921

Private Thomas Busby, 6726 1st North Staffs ,July 1914, later 2/5 North Staffs from Aug 1917.

Alan Busby

• 1 year later...

Thanks Alan for the account, I'm sorry I haven't been on site for a while. The account of the camps is remarkably similar to my grandfathers, I know he wasn't treat too well - he had a broken nose and was mistaken for a Jew, he was beaten as result, it shows how deep anti semetisim was amongst German rank & file. I'm wondering if it was whilst doing field work that he escaped? I know he escaped thro Holland, using the sewers by day, and using the stars to navigate at night.

• 8 months later...
Guest Good Old Chook

My great uncle was a POW in Parchim and I have a copy of his diary. He was taken prisoner at Kemmel Hill 25.04.1918 however interestingly in his diary he mentions 06.06.1918 "Sgt Major escapes" just wondering if the dates tie up, as there are a few similarities?

• 5 years later...
Guest dplimmer

I am researching my husband's paternal grandfather's WW1 experience. Pte. Benjamin Harry Plimmer (1897-1977) enlisted in the Manchester Regiment on 9 Dec 1915 according to his Army Service Record. He went to France with his regiment & was reported "missing in field" on 30 July 1916 & reported as POW on 6 August 1916. I found his name on the International Red Cross lists stating that he was captured at Guillemont on 30 August 1916, unwounded, & sent to Dulmen POW camp. The ICRC list also states that he was a member of the 18th Manchesters Artillery & his service number was 32441. Can I assume that the discrepancy in dates as a POW is due to clerical error on part of the ICRC?

I also have a couple of photo postcards of Harry sent by him home from POW camp. The postmark says "Fredericksfeld" so does this mean he was transferred from Dulmen to Fredericksfeld? Or was Fredericksfeld just the place where POW mail was sent from? What kind of work would Harry have done in Dulmen or Fredericksfeld? He was a warehouseman prior to enlisting. Where would I find any records of his transfer from Dulmen to Fredericksfeld, if he were transferred? Any help appreciated. Thanks. D.L. Plimmerpost-114890-0-19067100-1409400964_thumb.post-114890-0-42614800-1409400965_thumb.post-114890-0-60905700-1409400966_thumb.

Simply wonderful pics dplimmer. The 18th Bttn and 2nd RSF led the attack on Guillemont on 30th July and few returned. CSM George Evans of 18th Bttn awarded VC for the action.

The Brigade was away from the front a month later, so ICRC records have the wrong month.

Suggest you join http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php

To find out more. Please share the photos again and I suspect you'll find out more...

Tim

Simply wonderful pics dplimmer. The 18th Bttn and 2nd RSF led the attack on Guillemont on 30th July and few returned. CSM George Evans of 18th Bttn awarded VC for the action.

The Brigade was away from the front a month later, so ICRC records have the wrong month.

Suggest you join http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php

To find out more. Please share the photos again and I suspect you'll find out more...

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

Dplimmer my grandfather Sidney Carter was in the 18 Manchester Regiment,captured at Guillemont and went first To Dulmen then to 6 other camps between then and the end of war. I have his notes and photos

• 3 weeks later...