Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie manufactures initials

Guest Trenchwire

Guest Trenchwire

Anyone have a list of the manufacturers initials that are on the Brodie steel helmets,i have filled in the ones i know

HV

HS = W Hutton & Sons (Sheffield)

FS

FKS

D/A =Dixon & Sons

BS

or there might be more i dont know about .

Alan :rolleyes:

Some notes I took of a different thread a while back, will try to find original

BS is W. Beardmore & Co Ltd of Glasgow

V is Vickers of Sheffield

HS is Hadfield of Sheffield

Mick

Guest Trenchwire
Some notes I took of a different thread a while back, will try to find original

BS is W. Beardmore & Co Ltd of Glasgow

V is Vickers of Sheffield

HS is Hadfield of Sheffield

Mick

cheers Mick

Anyone have a list of the manufacturers initials that are on the Brodie steel helmets,i have filled in the ones i know

HV

HS = W Hutton & Sons (Sheffield)

FS

FKS

D/A =Dixon & Sons

or there might be more i dont know about .

Alan :rolleyes:

Alan - On many British helmets with different manufacturer and steel supplier, the first letter indicates the manufacturer while the second indicates the steel supplier. On many other helmets, the manufacturer and steel supplier were the same firm. Consequently,

HV = W. Hutton & Sons (manufacturer) and Vickers (steel supplier)

HS = Mick is correct, Hadfields (manufacturer and steel supplier)

FS = Thomas Firth & Sons (manufacturer and steel supplier)

FKS = probably another designation of Firth & Sons (manufacturer and steel supplier)

D/A = James Dixon & Sons (manufacturer) and Edgar Allen & Company (steel supplier)

I hope that this information helps.

Regards, Torrey

Thank you Torrey thats fantastic,where did you get that info from

Hello, Alan -

If I remember correctly, it came from an issue of the French magazine "Militaria" several years ago. I'll attempt to find it.

For your information, almost all American-made helmets had codes that began with "Z" followed by another letter (probably indicating steel supplier) and a number indicating steel batch number [e.g., "ZA 45," "ZD 121," etc.]. However, I read that due to an initial shortage of helmets for U.S. troops, over a million helmets issued to U.S. troops were purchased from Britain. Consequently, we find many British-made helmets here in the U.S.

Regards, Torrey

Guest Trenchwire

Torrey i cant thank you enough for your kind help, im trying obtain all the different manufactured helmets for my collection so i don't know how many i will end up with?

Where any of these delivered to the USA?

thanks

Chris

Guest Trenchwire

thanks

Chris

chris i have purchased these from the states

hs hv and bs

but already had f/s fks and d/a

Torrey i cant thank you enough for your kind help, im trying obtain all the different manufactured helmets for my collection so i don't know how many i will end up with?

Hello, Alan -

No problem - that's one of the purposes of this forum, which I enjoy immensely.

I checked my references last night. The information came from an article about British WWI helmets in the French magazine "Armes Militaria" #54 (February 1990). [My copy is now unavailable, but perhaps you can acquire a copy somewhere. There also was an English-language version of this issue printed years ago for sale in the U.S.] I very much enjoyed this very professional and well-researched magazine when I subscribed to it, and I wish that we had more available of similar quality.

Anyway, I had copied the following information from that article:

Manufacturers:

"D" [James Dixon & Sons (Sheffield)]

"H" [W. Hutton & Sons (Sheffield)]

"HH" [Harrison Bros. & Howson Ltd. (Sheffield)]

"R" [John Round & Sons (Sheffield)]

"V" [W & E Viener (Sheffield)]

Steel Suppliers:

"FS" [Thomas Firth & Sons Ltd. (Sheffield)]

"F" [ditto]

"FKS" [probably the same]

"HS" [Hadfields Ltd. (Sheffield)]

"BS" [W. Beardmore & Co. Ltd. (Glasgow)]

"MS" [Miris Steel Co. (London)]

"A" [Edgar Allen & Co. (Sheffield)]

"O" [samuel Osborn & Co. Ltd. (Sheffield)]

"V" [Vickers Ltd. (Sheffield)]

"B" [burys & Co. (?) (Sheffield) (?)]

"M&S" [Maxfield & Sons (?) (Sheffield)(?)]

"MLS" [(???)]

Since this information dates from 1990, perhaps subsequent research has changed or expanded this information. If so, I would be very interested in learning of corrections and of other manufacturers and steel suppliers.

Typical markings were the designation of manufacturer, followed by designation of steel supplier, followed by batch number of steel used. For example, in my collection I have "HV 244" [W. Hutton & Sons (manufacturer), Vickers Ltd. (steel supplier), and steel batch #244]; "HH/O 254" [Harrision Bros. & Howson, Ltd. (manufacturer), Samuel Osborn & Co., Ltd. (steel supplier), and steel batch #254], and another marked "FKS 76" [probably Thomas Firth & Sons, Ltd. (both manufacturer and steel supplier) and steel batch #76].

As I wrote earlier, the "Z" designation was used on American-manufacturered helmets. These American-made helmets were manufactured exclusively for U.S. forces. I have no idea who the manufacturers were; perhaps someone can inform me.

Good luck with your efforts to collect these variations!

Regards, Torrey

thanks

Chris

Hello, Chris - I assume that British-manufactured helmets sold to the U.S. Government were delivered directly to U.S. Quartermaster Stores in the UK and France and issued to American troops in Europe. It would not have made sense to ship them to the U.S., only to be sent back to Europe with U.S. troops. I might be wrong, of course.... Anyway, most of the British-manufactured helmets in the U.S. were ones issued to U.S. troops and kept as souvenirs by returning servicemen. I even have a rimless Brodie acquired here in the U.S., but of course it might have made its way here via Canada. Regards, Torrey