Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Henry Stanley

Pam Cook

Looking for information regarding George Stanley, both his WW1 record and his weightlifting career i.e.did he continue this in the Army. Appeciate any information on him.

George came from Ashford and was a son of Charles and Amy Stanley. Thanks Pam

Presume this is him Pam -

Name: STANLEY, GEORGE HENRY

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: "B" Coy. 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/06/1915

Service No: 17365

Additional information: Son of Charles and Amy Stanley, of 5, Church Square, Ashford, Kent.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VII. D. 4.

Cemetery: DUHALLOW A.D.S. CEMETERY

Neil Clark has a great website - http://www.ashfordsfallen.com/ that has info on him too including a picture -

http://www.ashfordsfallen.com/stanley%20gh.htm

Not sure about the weightlifting though!!

Cheers

Sue

George Stanley was the 5th Battalion's 1st fatal Battle Casualty{Men had been killed in Accidents or died @ Home in the UK prior to this},By coincidence I have been searching for both his & Arthur Taylor's Commemorative Plaques{Arthur was the 1st Battle Casualty of the 6th Bn,both Trios being formerly in the Collection of the author of The Kings Pioneers & 4 VCs in Four Years,By Major Geoffery Moore of Huntingdon,who sold off his Medal collection in the 1980s & I was fortunate to accquire both Trios then...

Interesting details on Stanley previousy undiscovered Thank you...One door Opens?

Is Arthur in tomorrow's talk, Mr V.?

post-6536-1177804132.jpg

Cliff has seconded me from rent-a-heckler. Cliff will keep you honest on the 1st Cambs and I'll do the 6th!

Steve

Roger,

Just to add the documents on Arthur Taylor:

Peterborough Advertiser, August 1915

ArthurTaylor6thNR.jpg

Peterborough Advertiser 28-8-1915

ArthurTaylorPA28-8-1915.jpg

Peterborough and Hunts Standard 1-1-1916 - "The Dead of 1915"

ArthurTaylorHS1-1-1916.jpg

Apologies to Pam for verring the topic off-course.

Steve.

George Stanley was the 5th Battalion's 1st fatal Battle Casualty{Men had been killed in Accidents or died @ Home in the UK prior to this},By coincidence I have been searching for both his & Arthur Taylor's Commemorative Plaques{Arthur was the 1st Battle Casualty of the 6th Bn,both Trios being formerly in the Collection of the author of The Kings Pioneers & 4 VCs in Four Years,By Major Geoffery Moore of Huntingdon,who sold off his Medal collection in the 1980s & I was fortunate to accquire both Trios then...

Interesting details on Stanley previousy undiscovered Thank you...One door Opens?

George Henry Stanley was my great Uncle, so I know a bit of family history, his brother Leonard was my grandfather. However, I am very interested in his Army career, any info very welcome. Pam

• 11 years later...

Hi Pam

I don't know if you are still on this forum since your post is 2007.  George Stanley was my Great Uncle as well, his parents Charles & Amy are my Great Grandparents.  I would be interested if you found out anything more about George?  Would be good to hear from you if you are still on here! Long shot I know....

Avril

• Admin

Pam hasn't visited th forum since 2007, when you have made two posts you can try sending a personal message to her. If she is using the same email address as the one she regards with, she should pick it up.

Michelle